multi ide hdd's= slight OT

  • daffyduck44
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 28, 2004
      i got 3 or 4 idea hdd's varying from like probyl 1g to 6gig..
      1 i know should work and the others come from some junk systems..
      all of em power up but only 1 has working vid.. its a compaq..
      outta curiousity.. is there some kinda parrallel port or serial
      adapter to connect to them to either scan em or boot to em..?
      tomorrorow i plan on playing musical ide cables.. seeing if the
      cable are bad.. but other than that just curious..
    • Jim Ramsey

        You might consider a 44pin -- 40pin IDE adapter.
        The 44pin side is for 2.5" drives. The 40pin is for 3.5" drives.
        There's also a standard power connector as the 44pins include
        power.

        With this adapter, you can attach any of the 2.5" drives as
        extra drive in a laptop computer and study them at leasure.

        On Wednesday 28 January 2004 03:17, daffyduck44 wrote:
        > i got 3 or 4 idea hdd's varying from like probyl 1g to 6gig..
        > 1 i know should work and the others come from some junk systems..
        > all of em power up but only 1 has working vid.. its a compaq..
        > outta curiousity.. is there some kinda parrallel port or serial
        > adapter to connect to them to either scan em or boot to em..?
        > tomorrorow i plan on playing musical ide cables.. seeing if the
        > cable are bad.. but other than that just curious..

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        - --
        Regards,

        Jim Ramsey
      • W.K. Vladmir Ward
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 31, 2004
          Greetings all

          I have a software RAID1 set up on my linux server, for
          the sole purpose of providing redundancy. Well, it's a
          good thing... earlier this week one of the drives
          failed.

          I picked up a new drive, put it in, and booted up... I
          did 'mdadm -a /dev/md0 /dev/hdc1'. Everything seems to
          go fine, 'cat /proc/mdstat' shows that that md0 is
          active with hdc1 and hdb1 running, and is in
          recovery... however, if I do 'mdadm -D /dev/md0' or
          'lsraid -a /dev/md0' it shows what was previously
          /dev/hdc1 is "missing" according to lsraid and "faulty
          removed" by mdadm. Now both show /dev/hdc1 as a spare
          drive -- will this be put back into circulation once
          the rebuild is complete?

          Look forward to any response. Thanks :)

          =====
          Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
          There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
          Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
          Though down that road we've been so many times...
          - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

          http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
        • W.K. Vladmir Ward
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2004
            My own question was answered with patience and due
            time :)

            I love mdadm...

            --- "W.K. Vladmir Ward" <web_raptor.geo@...>
            wrote:
            > Greetings all
            >
            > I have a software RAID1 set up on my linux server,
            > for
            > the sole purpose of providing redundancy. Well, it's
            > good thing... earlier this week one of the drives
            > failed.
            >
            > I picked up a new drive, put it in, and booted up...
            > did 'mdadm -a /dev/md0 /dev/hdc1'. Everything seems
            > go fine, 'cat /proc/mdstat' shows that that md0 is
            > active with hdc1 and hdb1 running, and is in
            > recovery... however, if I do 'mdadm -D /dev/md0' or
            > 'lsraid -a /dev/md0' it shows what was previously
            > /dev/hdc1 is "missing" according to lsraid and
            > "faulty
            > removed" by mdadm. Now both show /dev/hdc1 as a
            > spare
            > drive -- will this be put back into circulation once
            > the rebuild is complete?
            >
            > Look forward to any response. Thanks :)
            >
            > =====
            > Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
            > There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
            > Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
            > Though down that road we've been so many times...
            > - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

            > Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free web site building tool.
            > Try it!
            > http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/

            =====
            Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
            There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
            Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
            Though down that road we've been so many times...
            - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

            http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
          • hfelton11
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 2, 2004
              howdee,

              i always appreciate your comments. just
              clarifying for my own knowledge - did you
              DO/LEARN anything else? or did it just
              _fix itself_ eventually?

              since ive never used mdadm, i looked at:
              http://www.linuxforum.com/man/mdadm.5.php

              it seems plausible that you just had to wait
              while the process got around to actually
              DOING the mirror onto the new drive. if so,
              then this seems like a really cool system.

              also, just for clarification - you were
              using 3 of the 4 ide drives like this?
              /dev/hda1 - failed original
              /dev/hdb1 - mirror that continued working
              /dev/hdc1 - new mirror after failure

              i obviously should get around to reading
              more about this. thanx for mentioning it...

              have fun, h.

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "W.K. Vladmir Ward"
              <web_raptor.geo@y...> wrote:
              > My own question was answered with patience and due
              > time :)
              >
              > I love mdadm...
              >

              > --- "W.K. Vladmir Ward" <web_raptor.geo@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > Greetings all
              > >
              > > I have a software RAID1 set up on my linux server,
              > > for
              > > the sole purpose of providing redundancy. Well, it's
              > > good thing... earlier this week one of the drives
              > > failed.
              > >
              > > I picked up a new drive, put it in, and booted up...
              > > did 'mdadm -a /dev/md0 /dev/hdc1'. Everything seems
              > > go fine, 'cat /proc/mdstat' shows that that md0 is
              > > active with hdc1 and hdb1 running, and is in
              > > recovery... however, if I do 'mdadm -D /dev/md0' or
              > > 'lsraid -a /dev/md0' it shows what was previously
              > > /dev/hdc1 is "missing" according to lsraid and
              > > "faulty
              > > removed" by mdadm. Now both show /dev/hdc1 as a
              > > spare
              > > drive -- will this be put back into circulation once
              > > the rebuild is complete?

            • W.K. Vladmir Ward
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 4, 2004
                Actually it seems to have broken itself again! WHEE!

                Monday night I'm sitting at my computer, and my server
                box starts making a clunking, and I figure it's just
                my techno that I'm listening to. But nope, on my
                server screen is a "mdadm: device failure on
                /dev/hdc1" message. I just bought this on Saturday,
                there's almost no way it can be the drive. I have it
                in a drive rack, so I'm guessing it's that or the
                cable, though the cable has worked fine for the DVD
                drive plugged into it (for the past two years). My
                other guess is a power supply problem, but 350w should
                be enough to power a Duron 900, with three hard drives
                and a DVD... right?

                =====
                Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
                There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
                Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
                Though down that road we've been so many times...
                - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

                http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
              • Steve Harris
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 4, 2004
                  On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 08:52:07 -0800, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:
                  > Actually it seems to have broken itself again! WHEE!
                  >
                  > Monday night I'm sitting at my computer, and my server
                  > box starts making a clunking, and I figure it's just
                  > my techno that I'm listening to. But nope, on my
                  > server screen is a "mdadm: device failure on
                  > /dev/hdc1" message. I just bought this on Saturday,
                  > there's almost no way it can be the drive. I have it

                  As its the thing with the moving parts, early failure on the drive seems
                  most likly.

                  - Steve
                • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 5, 2004
                    --- Steve Harris <steve@...> wrote:
                    > On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 08:52:07 -0800, W.K. Vladmir
                    > Ward wrote:
                    > > Actually it seems to have broken itself again!
                    > WHEE!
                    > >
                    > > Monday night I'm sitting at my computer, and my
                    > server
                    > > box starts making a clunking, and I figure it's
                    > just
                    > > my techno that I'm listening to. But nope, on my
                    > > server screen is a "mdadm: device failure on
                    > > /dev/hdc1" message. I just bought this on
                    > Saturday,
                    > > there's almost no way it can be the drive. I have
                    > it
                    >
                    > As its the thing with the moving parts, early
                    > failure on the drive seems
                    > most likly.

                    I'm at a loss of what do do -- I have $50 of mail-in
                    rebates for this drive, that expire 30 days after
                    original purchase. But I don't think Best Buy will
                    take the box back if the UPC is cut out... any
                    thoughts? If they wouldn't accept it, is it worth
                    making a big deal about? I know to some of you $50 is
                    pocket change, but some of us poor college students
                    could eat for two months on that kind of money ;)

                    =====
                    Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
                    There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
                    Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
                    Though down that road we've been so many times...
                    - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

                    http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                  • Paul
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 6, 2004
                      W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:

                      >I'm at a loss of what do do -- I have $50 of mail-in
                      >rebates for this drive, that expire 30 days after
                      >original purchase. But I don't think Best Buy will
                      >take the box back if the UPC is cut out... any
                      >thoughts? If they wouldn't accept it, is it worth
                      >making a big deal about? I know to some of you $50 is
                      >pocket change, but some of us poor college students
                      >could eat for two months on that kind of money ;)

                      I am not a formal student, but $50 is still a lot of money for me! Not
                      even considering the money, when you buy something it should work or be
                      replaced.

                      First, use the utility that drive manufacturers usually supply to check
                      their drives. If you confirm that the drive is bad, and if you haven't
                      sent the rebate in, you could try exchanging the drive at the store
                      where you bought it. They can't resell a bad drive anyway, so why would
                      they care about the UPC being cut out? If you must push the issue, try
                      it and they might give in. You are, after all, entitled to a functional
                      product!

                      If you can't return the drive, just contact the manufacturer and have
                      the drive replaced under warranty. Sometimes they send out a
                      replacement before they receive the bad drive.