linux.dell.com and laptops

  • lerhaupt
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 21, 2004
      Currently, we are considering adding a section to
      http://linux.dell.com for "community-supported" links to getting
      Linux working on Dell desktops and laptops. To that end, I'd like
      to get some feedback from this community as to what you might
      consider the top useful links in this area.

      Laptops:
      2. http://www.whacked.net/ldl/faq/
      3. http://www.linux-laptop.net/dell.html
      4. ?
      5. ?

      Desktops:
      1. http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=sw_linux
      2. ?
      3. ?
    • Don Levey
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 21, 2004
        lerhaupt wrote:
        > Currently, we are considering adding a section to
        > http://linux.dell.com for "community-supported" links to getting
        > Linux working on Dell desktops and laptops. To that end, I'd like
        > to get some feedback from this community as to what you might
        > consider the top useful links in this area.
        >
        > Laptops:
        > 2. http://www.whacked.net/ldl/faq/
        > 3. http://www.linux-laptop.net/dell.html
        > 4. ?
        > 5. ?
        >
        > Desktops:
        > 1. http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=sw_linux
        > 2. ?
        > 3. ?

        Most definitely:
        http://www.geocities.com/randomnumbergenerator2001/
      • Daevid Vincent
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 21, 2004
          i dont have any link suggestions, but i do want to say that i think this is super-fantastic! I am very proud of and applaud Dell for taking this initiative.

          personally, i've had the most trouble with these areas, and would like to see Dell make a FAQ or something to address them.

          i have a i8200.
          * power management. how come i can't get S2D or sleep to work??
          * how come if i shut the display, my x-windows is all messed up
          * i've had trouble getting my prism wifi card to work

          Daevid Vincent
          http://daevid.com

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 21, 2004
            On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 12:14, lerhaupt wrote:
            > Currently, we are considering adding a section to
            > http://linux.dell.com for "community-supported" links to getting
            > Linux working on Dell desktops and laptops. To that end, I'd like
            > to get some feedback from this community as to what you might
            > consider the top useful links in this area.

            Cool. It would be *really nice* to see a hardware maker acknowledge
            Linux in such a manner.

            Your links looked good to me. The laptop ones were good to go, I'm not
            aware of other sites of a similar nature. The Linux-on-laptops one
            links to more pages than you could hope for.

            Dell Desktops are, by and large, fairly standardized as far as the OS is
            concerned, as far as I know. The only issue I can think of that was
            Dell specific were those SB Live! cards Dell was using a while back that
            wouldn't work with Linux SB Live! drivers.

            These days, I think a desktop is a desktop, it simply doesn't matter
            very much who made the thing. Laptops are still too proprietary to be
            as easily figured out.

            Rob
          • Sam
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 21, 2004

              On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 15:49:23 -0500, Don Levey wrote:
              > lerhaupt wrote:
              >> Currently, we are considering adding a section to
              >> http://linux.dell.com for "community-supported" links to getting
              >> Linux working on Dell desktops and laptops.  To that end, I'd
              >> like to get some feedback from this community as to what you
              >> might consider the top useful links in this area.
              >>
              >> Laptops:
              >> http://www.whacked.net/ldl/faq/ 3. http://www.linux-
              >> laptop.net/dell.html 4. ? 5. ?
              >>
              >> Desktops:
              >> 1.
              >> http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=sw_linux
              >> 2. ? 3. ?
              >>

              > Most definitely:
              > http://www.geocities.com/randomnumbergenerator2001/

              Add these too:

              http://www.chrisnitkin.com/wordpress/DebianDell8200 (Inspiron 8200)

              http://www.chrisnitkin.com/wordpress/static_gentoo_guide.php (Inspiron 8500)

              Two very good guides indeed!

            • Merik
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 21, 2004
                I think this is great. You might want to add
                http://www.tuxmobil.com/ to the list.

                --- lerhaupt <gary@...> wrote:
                > Currently, we are considering adding a section to
                > http://linux.dell.com for "community-supported"
                > links to getting
                > Linux working on Dell desktops and laptops. To that
                > end, I'd like
                > to get some feedback from this community as to what
                > you might
                > consider the top useful links in this area.
                >
                > Laptops:
                > 2. http://www.whacked.net/ldl/faq/
                > 3. http://www.linux-laptop.net/dell.html
                > 4. ?
                > 5. ?
                >
                > Desktops:
                > 1.

                http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=sw_linux
                > 2. ?
                > 3. ?

                http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
              • Frank Wales
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 26, 2004
                  On 01/21/04 20:14, lerhaupt wrote:
                  > Currently, we are considering adding a section to
                  > http://linux.dell.com for "community-supported" links to getting
                  > Linux working on Dell desktops and laptops. To that end, I'd like
                  > to get some feedback from this community as to what you might
                  > consider the top useful links in this area.

                  Here's a few that I found useful for my 8500:
                  http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/G.Wilford/Inspiron8500/
                  http://www.gotontheinter.net/exoops/modules/news/
                  http://ltswww.epfl.ch/~dsanta/resources/dell-i8500-linux

                  Additionally, while Dell remains inclined to foist Windows onto laptop
                  customers who don't want it, I'd like to see links to non-technical
                  information along these lines:
                  http://www.windowsrefund.net/

                  Thanks.
                  --
                  Frank Wales [frank@...]
                • Don Levey
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 26, 2004
                    lerhaupt wrote:
                    > Currently, we are considering adding a section to
                    > http://linux.dell.com for "community-supported" links to getting
                    > Linux working on Dell desktops and laptops. To that end, I'd like
                    > to get some feedback from this community as to what you might
                    > consider the top useful links in this area.

                    One more possibility - though I don't have a link for it:
                    How about some info on returning the (included) Windows XP package for the
                    refund explcitly mentioned in the EULA?
                    -Don
                  • Merik
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 26, 2004
                      I know that when I order my next computer from them I
                      am definately going to do what ever it takes to get my
                      money back on windows. So any help on getting the
                      refund would be great.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 26, 2004
                        Merik wrote:

                        > --- Don Levey <don_LTLinux@...> wrote:
                        >> lerhaupt wrote:
                        >>> Currently, we are considering adding a section to
                        >>> http://linux.dell.com for "community-supported" links to getting
                        >>> Linux working on Dell desktops and laptops. To that end, I'd like
                        >>> to get some feedback from this community as to what you might
                        >>> consider the top useful links in this area.
                        >>>

                        >> One more possibility - though I don't have a link
                        >> for it:
                        >> How about some info on returning the (included)
                        >> Windows XP package for the
                        >> refund explcitly mentioned in the EULA?
                        >> -Don
                        >>

                        > I know that when I order my next computer from them I
                        > am definately going to do what ever it takes to get my
                        > money back on windows. So any help on getting the
                        > refund would be great.

                        I've not tried as of yet; I still need some sort of Windows compatability
                        for work and my wife's school. When I got my desktop I did immediately
                        remove XP and install 2000, as the license permits. I posted the above not
                        only for the general case, but because I had just seen the following:
                        <http://www.windowsrefund.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=view
                        topic&t=77>
                        which discusses difficulties/impossibilities in getting that refund.
                        -Don
                      • Alexandre Tessier
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 2, 2004
                          I have never used windows. I removed windows from my laptop when I've
                          got it.
                          When Dell will sell laptops without windows? Why do I have to pay for
                          something I do not want? Is there a kind of Microsoft tax on Dell laptops?

                          Alex.