Inspiron 4000 Touch Pad

  • Juan Sanchez
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 17, 2001
      Does anyone know how to disable the touch pad, but not the pointing
      stick. I typically rest my thumb right where the touch pad is and it
      moves the cursor when I am trying to type.

      I can set the bios to turn off the touch pad and stick if I plug in an
      external mouse, but then I don't like having to remove my hands from the
      keyboard to change the cursor position and I can't seem to be able to use
      the stick or pad if I subsequently remove the external mouse.

      Thanks,
      Juan
    • Rob Yale
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 18, 2001
        Juan,

        Go here http://compass.com/tpconfig/ and read the information posted.
        'tpconfig' will allow you to customize your trackpad behaviour. I did
        have to upgrade my kernel to 2.2.18, though. If you have any problems,
        drop me a line.

        Rob Yale

      • Juan Sanchez
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 29, 2001
          Does anyone know what the different tapmode do. It doesn't seem to be
          documented. The startup script works fine, but it seems like if I double
          touch the pad, it is interpreted as a click.

          Thanks,
          Juan

        • dharris@arsdigita.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
            As the web page explains, you can't run tpconfig under X unless you
            patch the kernel... in fact, you can't even "tpconfig --help" to see
            the usage message.

            But, if you're crafty, you use the strings command:

            % strings /usr/bin/tpconfig | less

            and scroll through this to see the args.

            That said... I still can't get middle-mouse button functionality! It's
            driving me batty because I can't paste.

            I currently have the touchpad startup script doing:

            tpconfig --two-button -c=1 -m

            (I want corner taps to do middle button work)

            Any ideas?

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Juan Sanchez <jsanchez@t...> wrote:
            > Does anyone know what the different tapmode do. It doesn't seem to
            be
            > documented. The startup script works fine, but it seems like if I
            double
            > touch the pad, it is interpreted as a click.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Juan
            >
            > Rob Yale wrote:
            >
            > > Juan,
            > >
            > > Go here http://compass.com/tpconfig/ and read the information
            posted.
            > > 'tpconfig' will allow you to customize your trackpad behaviour. I
            did
            > > have to upgrade my kernel to 2.2.18, though. If you have any
            problems,
            > > drop me a line.
            > >
            > > Rob Yale

          • P S Moulson
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
              Most times when I boot Mandrake 7.2 on my Inspiron 5000e I my processor
              correctly gets identified as a 697 MHz Pentium III, but perhaps 1 in 4
              times it claims I have a 597 MHz Pentium III (or maybe 567 MHz, or
              something similar I can't remember at the mo).

              Why is this happening? Anyone else experience this? Anyone fixed this?

              Cheers

              Paul

              --
            • Michel Berkelaar
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 4, 2001
                You're not by any chance running on battery when you get the lower
                number :-)

                It probably really runs slower on battery.

                Michel

                P S Moulson wrote:

                > Most times when I boot Mandrake 7.2 on my Inspiron 5000e I my processor
                > correctly gets identified as a 697 MHz Pentium III, but perhaps 1 in 4
                > times it claims I have a 597 MHz Pentium III (or maybe 567 MHz, or
                > something similar I can't remember at the mo).
                >
                > Why is this happening? Anyone else experience this? Anyone fixed this?
                >
                > Cheers
                >
                > Paul

              • Richard Simpson
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 7, 2001
                  On Fri, 02 Feb 2001, you wrote:
                  >Most times when I boot Mandrake 7.2 on my Inspiron 5000e I my processor
                  >correctly gets identified as a 697 MHz Pentium III, but perhaps 1 in 4
                  >times it claims I have a 597 MHz Pentium III (or maybe 567 MHz, or
                  >something similar I can't remember at the mo).

                  Is it possible that the lower speed is reported when you boot whilst running
                  from batteries? You Pentium III has this SpeedStep technology which reduces
                  clock speed to save power when running from batteries.

                  Richard Simpson
                  Farnborough, Hants, Uk Fax: 01252 392976
                  rsimpson@...