RE: [linux-dell-laptops] [OT] how to save the battery life?

  • Pratt, Jerald
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2004
      Julian,

      There are a variety of vendors that sell laptop batteries. You just need to
      find one that is specific for your laptop. I tend to use Yahoo! Shopping to
      search a variety of retailers to find out what is available and get a good
      price. I know that my Latitude C800 can hold up to two batteries if I take
      the floppy drive out. This would give you more life.

      Another option is to look at external laptop batteries. I talked to one
      person that had one and he really liked it. These are usually a flat plate
      that has a footprint about the same size as a laptop so you would set you
      laptop on top of it. Your laptop will view it as an external power source
      and not as a battery so you might want to adjust your plugged-in power
      settings if using it. They tend to provide power for about 8-10 hours which
      is a great advantage. But then again that is with Windows. I have had
      similar problems that you are seeing where Linux drains the battery really
      fast. If you are interested in the external batteries, I found a few at
      Yahoo! Shopping by searching "external laptop battery". They do run a few
      hundred $$$ though.

      Jerald