Gnome

  • Ankit Jain
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6 9:41 PM
      HI All

      Can anyone tell me can i update my Gnome if  yes them from where i can Download the Latest Gnome and How can i update

      Bye

      Ankit
    • turkeynip
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 6 10:13 PM
        This will depend on what distribution you're running. For example
        Slackware uses "Dropline Installer". I found one person documented an
        upgrade for RedHat at
        http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-list/1999-August/msg00203.html

        But again it will come down to what distribution you're using in order
        to determine the easiest way to upgrade.

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Ankit Jain <akjainchd@s...>
        wrote:
        > HI All
        >
        > Can anyone tell me can i update my Gnome if yes them from where i
        can Download the Latest Gnome and How can i update

        > Bye
        >
        > Ankit
      • W.K. Vladmir Ward
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7 8:23 AM
          I recommend using all source packages for an upgrade.
          gnome.org used to offer (I don't know if they still
          do) a single tarball with all the other .tar.gz'd
          sources inside, so you could have all the stuff that
          should work with each other. If you use this in
          conjunction with optimization CFLAGS (read 'man gcc'
          if you aren't familiar) you can get a wicked-fast
          Gnome desktop.

          I have a friend with some version of Red Hat who tells
          me he argued for three weeks with his system trying to
          install Gnome (he's a KDE user) and gave up because,
          his own words, "RPM is crap." All in all it took me
          about two days of work to update Gnome from sources,
          most of that time was just waiting for compiles to
          finish, and I was also doing my job at the same
          time... if you go this route I can give more
          specifics :P

          --- turkeynip <mas582@...> wrote:
          > This will depend on what distribution you're
          > running. For example
          > Slackware uses "Dropline Installer". I found one
          > person documented an
          > upgrade for RedHat at

          http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-list/1999-August/msg00203.html

          > But again it will come down to what distribution
          > you're using in order
          > to determine the easiest way to upgrade.
          >

          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Ankit
          > Jain <akjainchd@s...>
          > wrote:
          > > HI All
          > >
          > > Can anyone tell me can i update my Gnome if yes
          > them from where i
          > can Download the Latest Gnome and How can i update
          > >
          > > Bye
          > >
          > > Ankit

          =====
          Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
          There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
          Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
          Though down that road we've been so many times...
          - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"