Re: [linux-dell-laptops] How to install kernel source with Yast2 : Newbie Question.

  • Anirban Bhattacharyya
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2004
      Hi Sachin,
        in Yast search for kernel-source. Yast will tell you which CD to load.
      Regards
      Anirban

      Sachin Karol <skarol1@...> wrote:
      Hi everyone,
          Could anyone tell me how to install the kernel source packages for
      Suse 9.0 with or without Yast2. I am trying to load the drivers for my
      NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 card on Inspiron 5150. The driver I am using is
      NVIDIA-Linux-x86.1.0-4496-pkg2.run

      The log is as follows:

      nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
      creation time: Tue Jan  6 12:06:11 2004

      option status:
        license pre-accepted    : false
        update                  : false
        force update            : false
        expert                  : false
        uninstall               : false
        driver info             : false
        no precompiled interface: false
        no ncurses color        : false
        query latest driver ver : false
        OpenGL header files     : false
        no questions            : false
        silent                  : false
        XFree86 install prefix  : /usr/X11R6
        OpenGL install prefix   : /usr
        Installer install prefix: /usr
        kernel include path     : (not specified)
        kernel install path     : (not specified)
        proc mount point        : /proc
        ui                      : (not specified)
        tmpdir                  : /tmp
        ftp site                : ftp://download.nvidia.com

      Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
      -> License accepted.
      -> No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; would
      you like the installer to attempt to download a kernel interface for
      your kernel from the NVIDIA ftp site (ftp://download.nvidia.com)?
      (Answer: No)
      -> No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; this
      means that the installer will need to compile a new kernel interface.
      ERROR: Unable to find the kernel header files for the currently running
      kernel.
             Please make sure you have installed the kernel header files for
      your
             kernel; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have
      the
             'kernel-source' rpm installed.  If you know the correct kernel
      header
             files are installed, you may specify the kernel include path with
      the
             '--kernel-include-path' commandline option.
      ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file
             '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find
      suggestions
             on fixing installation problems in the README available on the
      Linux
             driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

      ----

      I am unable to locate the kernel source in /usr/src

      Please advice..

      Thanks
      Sachin

      Do you Yahoo!?