Re: Slackware (was Re: [linux-dell-laptops] gentoo for power?)

  • Sean Gibbins
    Message 1 of 39 , Jan 2, 2004
      On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 12:29:01 -0600 (CST)
      Richard Belshoff <rgb@...> wrote:

      > (I'm also thinking about Debian - I tried Knoppix and
      > thought it was great. And I've heard one can install the
      > debian/knoppix system off the bootable CD somehow. Any
      > thoughts on this?)

      It can be done quite easily, but there is a bit of faffing
      around to do afterwards, setting up partitions within
      /etc/fstab, since it will only create a / partition during
      the setup process.

      I am currently installing Mepis from a bootable CD; this is
      similar to Knoppix in that it provides you with Debian
      [unstable] at the end of the process. IMHO it has a better
      installer than Knoppix, and provides you with some nice
      tools to tidy up wih afterwards. I think Knoppix defaults to
      the stable tree.

      If you want a neater install without all this extra work at
      the end of it, you might want to look at Libranet. 2.7 is
      available for free download, and 2.8 is available for ~ $50.
      Again, you end up with Debian at the end of it, but it comes
      with a nice installer plus the adminmenu.

      If you really want to get down and dirty, you could of
      course go for Debian Debian! ;o)

      Sean

      --
      The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to
      catch up. - Steven Wright
      Message 39 of 39 , Jan 17, 2004
        Just a note to say that I got the problem solved, thanks to your help.
        rgb