Fn-D, etc., and audio-buttons.

  • yahoogroups@inrevo.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
      Hi there. I've had a serious problem with my hard-drive and basically
      my gentoo install was pretty fscked. I've rebuilt and restored most of
      /etc from a backup, and am pleased with the machine, except:

      1: I can't get the volume buttons to work (I have

      i8kbuttons -u "aumix -v +3" -d "aumix -v -3" -m "aumix -v 0" -r 200 &

      in my .xinitrc, i8kbuttons and aumix are in the path, and the
      i8kbuttons app is shown with "ps". This used to work before the big
      rebuild.

      2: the Fn key isn't working anymore - Fn+D doesn't blank the display,
      Fn+F3 doesn't show battery status, and so on. Again, these used to
      work.

      Can anyone give me some advice as to what I need to do? I do have the
      CD-style buttons controlling XMMS sucessfully, by the way.

      Oh, since the big rebuild, I get no audio hesitation or corruption
      after closing the lid, so it's a thumbs-up from me on that front. I
      have no idea what I did.

      Oh, another thing, I am now on 2.4.23 vanilla, as opposed to a
      swsusp-patched 2.4.20 (I think it was that anyway). Could that be the
      problem?

      Cheers,
      Alistair
    • IbericoVespucio
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
        yahoogroups@... escribía: [[linux-dell-laptops] Fn-D, etc., and audio-buttons.], el 01 de January de 2004 a las 23:40:41 (-0000)

        > 1: I can't get the volume buttons to work (I have
        > i8kbuttons -u "aumix -v +3" -d "aumix -v -3" -m "aumix -v 0" -r 200 &

        I got it work in an i8600 using hotkeys package. There are many
        keyboards... HPxxxx goes fine. The only limitation is that it
        works in X, not in console

        > 2: the Fn key isn't working anymore - Fn+D doesn't blank the display,
        > Fn+F3 doesn't show battery status, and so on. Again, these used to
        > work.

        It also happen to mi as soon as use ACPI disabling it at boot
        restore them.

        > Can anyone give me some advice as to what I need to do? I do have the
        > CD-style buttons controlling XMMS sucessfully, by the way.

        Same way as volumen, with hotkeys package

        Ángel.

        --
        ibericovespucio
        @...

        "No nos molestan aquellos defectos que nosotros no tenemos."
        (Miguel de Unamuno)
      • W.K. Vladmir Ward
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
          Are you sure the i8k module is loaded? I had the same
          issue while reinstalling Slackware... I tried to run
          the i8kbuttons nearly identical to what you're running
          and it wouldn't work because the i8k kernel module
          wasn't availabled.

          How did you get the CD buttons working with XMMS? Did
          I miss something a while back, or what? Could you tell
          me what to do to set that up?

          --- IbericoVespucio <ibericovespucio@...> wrote:
          > yahoogroups@... escrib�a:
          > [[linux-dell-laptops] Fn-D, etc., and
          > audio-buttons.], el 01 de January de 2004 a las
          > 23:40:41 (-0000)
          > >
          > > 1: I can't get the volume buttons to work (I have
          > > i8kbuttons -u "aumix -v +3" -d "aumix -v -3" -m
          > "aumix -v 0" -r 200 &
          >
          > I got it work in an i8600 using hotkeys package.
          > There are many
          > keyboards... HPxxxx goes fine. The only limitation
          > is that it
          > works in X, not in console
          >
          > > 2: the Fn key isn't working anymore - Fn+D doesn't
          > blank the display,
          > > Fn+F3 doesn't show battery status, and so on.
          > Again, these used to
          > > work.
          >
          > It also happen to mi as soon as use ACPI disabling
          > it at boot
          > restore them.
          >
          > > Can anyone give me some advice as to what I need
          > to do? I do have the
          > > CD-style buttons controlling XMMS sucessfully, by
          > the way.
          >
          > Same way as volumen, with hotkeys package
          >

          > �ngel.
          >
          > --
          > ibericovespucio
          > @...
          >
          > "No nos molestan aquellos defectos que nosotros no
          > tenemos."
          > (Miguel de
          > Unamuno)

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          =====
          Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
          There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
          Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
          Though down that road we've been so many times...
          - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

          http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
        • Jimbo and SuziQ
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
            Me too!

            Jimbo

            Eliminate annoying spam!

            My mailbox is protected by iHateSpam, the #1-rated spam buster.
            http://www.ihatespam.net

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "W.K. Vladmir Ward"
              <web_raptor.geo@y...> wrote:
              > Are you sure the i8k module is loaded? I had the same
              > issue while reinstalling Slackware... I tried to run
              > the i8kbuttons nearly identical to what you're running
              > and it wouldn't work because the i8k kernel module
              > wasn't availabled.

              lsmod shows i8k os loaded. I can cat /proc/i8k too, so it *must* work
              :-)

              > How did you get the CD buttons working with XMMS? Did
              > I miss something a while back, or what? Could you tell
              > me what to do to set that up?

              I have loaded the i8k module, then in ~/.Xmodmap I have:
              #buttons for play, pause, etc
              keycode 129 = F13
              keycode 130 = F14
              keycode 131 = F15
              keycode 132 = F16

              then in KDE I create a new menu item and assign a hot key to it.
              Since reading here, I think that the following will work in .Xmodmap
              for the volume buttons:

              #buttons for volume down and up
              keycode 174 = F17
              keycode 176 = F18

              But I've not restarted X yet to test that, and I might check the ACPI
              thing suggested elsewhere first.

              I *think* that's all there is too it; corrections are welcome :-)

              Alistair
            • yahoogroups@inrevo.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
                <web_raptor.geo@y...> wrote:
                > Are you sure the i8k module is loaded? I had the same
                > I tried to run
                > the i8kbuttons nearly identical to what you're running
                > and it wouldn't work because the i8k kernel module
                > wasn't availabled.

                Oops, I should have said that you may have to build your own kernel
                and include CONFIG_I8K=m in your .config (the desciption is Dell
                Laptop Support under the Processor Type and Features on the 2.4.x make
                menuconfig options). Maybe mandrake don't build this by default :~)

                Alistair
              • yahoogroups@inrevo.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, yahoogroups@i... wrote:

                  > then in KDE I create a new menu item and assign a hot key to it.
                  > Since reading here, I think that the following will work in .Xmodmap
                  > for the volume buttons:

                  Oops, again I post before I think, making assumptions will be the
                  death of me! The KDE menu commands I created run commands like "xmms
                  -t" "xmms -r" and so on. The rewind button activates xscreensaver with
                  "xscreensaver-command -lock" as I rarely go to the previous track, but
                  I often lock my laptop.

                  Alistair
                • yahoogroups@inrevo.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, IbericoVespucio
                    > It also happen to mi as soon as use ACPI disabling it at boot
                    > restore them.

                    Could someone remind me how to do this, please?

                    Alistair
                  • Alexandre Tessier
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 3, 2004
                      yahoogroups@... wrote:
                      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "W.K. Vladmir Ward"
                      > <web_raptor.geo@y...> wrote:
                      >
                      >>Are you sure the i8k module is loaded? I had the same
                      >>I tried to run
                      >>the i8kbuttons nearly identical to what you're running
                      >>and it wouldn't work because the i8k kernel module
                      >>wasn't availabled.
                      >>

                      > Oops, I should have said that you may have to build your own kernel
                      > and include CONFIG_I8K=m in your .config (the desciption is Dell
                      > Laptop Support under the Processor Type and Features on the 2.4.x make
                      > menuconfig options). Maybe mandrake don't build this by default :~)

                      It depends on your pre-compiled kernel. For example: it is set in the
                      default kernel and it is not set in the enterprise kernel.
                      Which kernel are you using?

                      Alex.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
                        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, yahoogroups@i... wrote:

                        > 1: I can't get the volume buttons to work ....
                        >
                        > 2: the Fn key isn't working anymore - Fn+D doesn't blank the
                        display,
                        > Fn+F3 doesn't show battery status, and so on. Again, these used to
                        > work.

                        Solved - the new kernel had ACPI built in, which overrode APM on boot.
                        I've removed ACPI and have my Fn-D key back. I had added keycodes to
                        xmodmap for the volume buttons, and bound them to kde menu events, but
                        I've gone back to using i8kbuttons and aumix - faster response than
                        using KDE. And after building a new kernel yesterday, I see there's a
                        new kernel in portage - *shrug*.

                        > Oh, since the big rebuild, I get no audio hesitation or corruption
                        > after closing the lid, so it's a thumbs-up from me on that front. I
                        > have no idea what I did.

                        This is still fixed. There's a slight pause on shut/open, but no
                        corruption like I used to get. Funny things, computers.

                        Cheers,
                        Alistair
                      • turkeynip
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
                          Did you get your volume buttons to control PCM? Mine only seem to
                          control the "Master" which is great if I DON'T have
                          headphones/speakers plugged in...but 99% of the time I do...

                          I have an I8500, running 2.6.0, and I'm using lineak.

                          Thanks for your help!

                        • yahoogroups@inrevo.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
                            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "turkeynip" <mas582@p...>
                            wrote:
                            > Did you get your volume buttons to control PCM? Mine only seem to
                            > control the "Master" which is great if I DON'T have
                            > headphones/speakers plugged in...but 99% of the time I do...
                            >
                            > I have an I8500, running 2.6.0, and I'm using lineak.

                            I don't know what PCM is, but my volume buttons control the volume
                            whether I have headphones/speakers plugged in, or am listening via the
                            built in speakers.

                            I've got an 8200 running 2.4.23 (it'll be 2.4.24 this afternoon).

                            Alistair TempDir=/tmp
                          • Katie Dixon
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
                              I have a question regarding Fn + F3... in Mandrake 9.1 I can also do
                              that in order to see the battery monitor, but I would like for the
                              monitor in Gnome or on gkrellm to work. Any idea of how to make it
                              work? Right now the battery monitor just shows up as completely empty
                              and not functioning.

                              Katie

                            • yahoogroups@inrevo.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
                                --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Katie Dixon" <gigme2005@y.
                                ..> wrote:
                                > I have a question regarding Fn + F3... in Mandrake 9.1 I can also do
                                > that in order to see the battery monitor, but I would like for the
                                > monitor in Gnome or on gkrellm to work. Any idea of how to make it
                                > work? Right now the battery monitor just shows up as completely
                                empty
                                > and not functioning.
                                >
                                > Katie

                                I use gkrellm2 under kde, and when I took ACPI out of the kernel, the
                                battery display worked (with APM compiled in). I did configure
                                gkrellm2 to show it, but that's all I did.

                                Alistair
                              • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
                                  Don't use the Gnome battery applet to display the
                                  battery... it's buggy and will throw your clock way
                                  out of sync after a few short hours (as much as 5
                                  minutes drift per hour). GKrellM configured for
                                  batteries should work with either APM or ACPI enabled,
                                  and should show individual charges.

                                  =====

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
                                    Thanks so much, I will give that a try :)

                                    Katie