Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Sound for Sigmatel (Insperon 8500) kernel 2.6.0

  • Steve Harris
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
      On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 09:54:18PM -0000, turkeynip wrote:
      > It involved changing the sound to a module in the kernel (instead of
      > built in 'Y') and installing alsa libs, oss, etc. as per
      > http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Intel&card=i820&chip=i820&module=intel8x0
      >
      > Then the standard ('alsamixer' and 'alsactl store' to set the levels,
      > and all that's left is a distortion at levels above 78% through PCM)

      With maximum output level on my 8200 (also a sigmatel of some kind
      aparently) i've always had that - I think its a hardware problem. I just
      keep the main out turned down to about 1/2 way.

      - Steve
    • turkeynip
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Steve Harris <steve@t...>
        wrote:
        > On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 09:54:18PM -0000, turkeynip wrote:
        > > It involved changing the sound to a module in the kernel (instead of
        > > built in 'Y') and installing alsa libs, oss, etc. as per

        http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Intel&card=i820&chip=i820&module=intel8x0

        > > Then the standard ('alsamixer' and 'alsactl store' to set the levels,
        > > and all that's left is a distortion at levels above 78% through PCM)
        >
        > With maximum output level on my 8200 (also a sigmatel of some kind
        > aparently) i've always had that - I think its a hardware problem. I
        just
        > keep the main out turned down to about 1/2 way.
        >
        > - Steve

        But I don't think I had a problem in windows with it...maybe ALSA
        needs to work on their drivers, because when I used striclty OSS, in
        kernel 2.4.22 I don't think I had any problems either. *shrug*

        I'm just glad I can listen to music once again...
      • turkeynip
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2004
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "turkeynip" <mas582@p...>
          wrote:
          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Steve Harris <steve@t...>
          > wrote:
          > > On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 09:54:18PM -0000, turkeynip wrote:
          > > > It involved changing the sound to a module in the kernel (instead of
          > > > built in 'Y') and installing alsa libs, oss, etc. as per

          http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Intel&card=i820&chip=i820&module=intel8x0

          > > > Then the standard ('alsamixer' and 'alsactl store' to set the
          levels,
          > > > and all that's left is a distortion at levels above 78% through PCM)
          > >
          > > With maximum output level on my 8200 (also a sigmatel of some kind
          > > aparently) i've always had that - I think its a hardware problem. I
          > just
          > > keep the main out turned down to about 1/2 way.
          > >
          > > - Steve
          >
          > But I don't think I had a problem in windows with it...maybe ALSA
          > needs to work on their drivers, because when I used striclty OSS, in
          > kernel 2.4.22 I don't think I had any problems either. *shrug*
          >
          > I'm just glad I can listen to music once again...

          Ok, I've been messing around with my sound for days now trying to get
          PCM/master stuff to work (See my post on "PCM anyone?").

          In messing around, I've found a way to get rid of the distortion.

          1) Run 'alsamixer'
          2) Change PCM Out to 'post 3D' (up arrow), this will nix your pcm
          support though.
          3) So you can still control your volume if it isn't controlable
          through the "Master", configure the ALSA plugin in xmms so that the
          mixer device is "Headphone".

          Hopefully this is where my solution for PCM problems will reside.

          Let me know if it works.

          Best of luck!