Sound for Sigmatel (Insperon 8500) kernel 2.6.0

  • turkeynip
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30, 2003
      I've been having the darn'dist time getting my sound working properly
      in 2.6.0, I've tried using ALSA, OSS, and messing around with the
      config for the kernel, all to no avail...

      Sound sorta works in 2.4.22 (on my base install --just sound out of
      the built in speakers, not out of the headphone jack).

      Would someone be so kind as to post their properly working kernel
      config file for 2.6.0 for Sigmatel sound? (Also if there were any
      special tweaks you needed to do, ie. installing anything else).

      Thanks I really appreciate it, and my ears appreciate it too!

      BTW, the mixer complains that there is not a /dev/sound/mixer (so I
      created a soft link from /dev/mixer, and changed the permissions so I
      could use it) and it still complains
    • turkeynip
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 30, 2003
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "turkeynip" <mas582@p...>
        wrote:
        > I've been having the darn'dist time getting my sound working properly
        > in 2.6.0, I've tried using ALSA, OSS, and messing around with the
        > config for the kernel, all to no avail...
        >
        > Sound sorta works in 2.4.22 (on my base install --just sound out of
        > the built in speakers, not out of the headphone jack).
        >
        > Would someone be so kind as to post their properly working kernel
        > config file for 2.6.0 for Sigmatel sound? (Also if there were any
        > special tweaks you needed to do, ie. installing anything else).
        >
        > Thanks I really appreciate it, and my ears appreciate it too!
        >
        > BTW, the mixer complains that there is not a /dev/sound/mixer (so I
        > created a soft link from /dev/mixer, and changed the permissions so I
        > could use it) and it still complains

        Yeah, I apparently deserved this one, although I went into the
        alsamixer several times, I failed to note the small 'M' that was above
        several of the selections, including the headphone out. I could raise
        the volume but it was still muted...I had to hit 'M'.... go fig...well
        let one's mistake be another's profit, don't make the same (stupid)
        mistake!

        So after several re-installs today I'll be back in 2.6.0 trying
        again...update soon. (Feels like a made-for-TV movie).
      • turkeynip
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 30, 2003
          wrote:
          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "turkeynip" <mas582@p...>
          > wrote:
          > > I've been having the darn'dist time getting my sound working properly
          > > in 2.6.0, I've tried using ALSA, OSS, and messing around with the
          > > config for the kernel, all to no avail...
          > >
          > > Sound sorta works in 2.4.22 (on my base install --just sound out of
          > > the built in speakers, not out of the headphone jack).
          > >
          > > Would someone be so kind as to post their properly working kernel
          > > config file for 2.6.0 for Sigmatel sound? (Also if there were any
          > > special tweaks you needed to do, ie. installing anything else).
          > >
          > > Thanks I really appreciate it, and my ears appreciate it too!
          > >
          > > BTW, the mixer complains that there is not a /dev/sound/mixer (so I
          > > created a soft link from /dev/mixer, and changed the permissions so I
          > > could use it) and it still complains
          >
          > Yeah, I apparently deserved this one, although I went into the
          > alsamixer several times, I failed to note the small 'M' that was above
          > several of the selections, including the headphone out. I could raise
          > the volume but it was still muted...I had to hit 'M'.... go fig...well
          > let one's mistake be another's profit, don't make the same (stupid)
          > mistake!
          >
          > So after several re-installs today I'll be back in 2.6.0 trying
          > again...update soon. (Feels like a made-for-TV movie).

          Well part of me is relieved it wasn't that simple. When I run the cmd
          'alsamixer' I get an error message: 'alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open
          failed for default: No such device'

          I've tried installing alsa-lib, alsa-utils, alsa-oss, however, it does
          not help. If this persists I may go back to the 2.4 line.

          Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
        • turkeynip
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 31, 2003
            wrote:
            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "turkeynip" <mas582@p...>
            > wrote:
            > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "turkeynip" <mas582@p...>
            > > wrote:
            > > > I've been having the darn'dist time getting my sound working
            properly
            > > > in 2.6.0, I've tried using ALSA, OSS, and messing around with the
            > > > config for the kernel, all to no avail...
            > > >
            > > > Sound sorta works in 2.4.22 (on my base install --just sound out of
            > > > the built in speakers, not out of the headphone jack).
            > > >
            > > > Would someone be so kind as to post their properly working kernel
            > > > config file for 2.6.0 for Sigmatel sound? (Also if there were any
            > > > special tweaks you needed to do, ie. installing anything else).
            > > >
            > > > Thanks I really appreciate it, and my ears appreciate it too!
            > > >
            > > > BTW, the mixer complains that there is not a /dev/sound/mixer (so I
            > > > created a soft link from /dev/mixer, and changed the permissions
            so I
            > > > could use it) and it still complains
            > >
            > > Yeah, I apparently deserved this one, although I went into the
            > > alsamixer several times, I failed to note the small 'M' that was above
            > > several of the selections, including the headphone out. I could raise
            > > the volume but it was still muted...I had to hit 'M'.... go fig...well
            > > let one's mistake be another's profit, don't make the same (stupid)
            > > mistake!
            > >
            > > So after several re-installs today I'll be back in 2.6.0 trying
            > > again...update soon. (Feels like a made-for-TV movie).
            >
            > Well part of me is relieved it wasn't that simple. When I run the cmd
            > 'alsamixer' I get an error message: 'alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open
            > failed for default: No such device'
            >
            > I've tried installing alsa-lib, alsa-utils, alsa-oss, however, it does
            > not help. If this persists I may go back to the 2.4 line.
            >
            > Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

            Apparently not only am I my own message board, but my own support
            group as well...I got it working.

            It involved changing the sound to a module in the kernel (instead of
            built in 'Y') and installing alsa libs, oss, etc. as per
            http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Intel&card=i820&chip=i820&module=intel8x0

            Then the standard ('alsamixer' and 'alsactl store' to set the levels,
            and all that's left is a distortion at levels above 78% through PCM)

            D-U-N, done!
          • Steve Harris
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
              On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 09:54:18PM -0000, turkeynip wrote:
              > It involved changing the sound to a module in the kernel (instead of
              > built in 'Y') and installing alsa libs, oss, etc. as per
              > http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Intel&card=i820&chip=i820&module=intel8x0
              >
              > Then the standard ('alsamixer' and 'alsactl store' to set the levels,
              > and all that's left is a distortion at levels above 78% through PCM)

              With maximum output level on my 8200 (also a sigmatel of some kind
              aparently) i've always had that - I think its a hardware problem. I just
              keep the main out turned down to about 1/2 way.

              - Steve
            • turkeynip
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
                --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Steve Harris <steve@t...>
                wrote:
                > On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 09:54:18PM -0000, turkeynip wrote:
                > > It involved changing the sound to a module in the kernel (instead of
                > > built in 'Y') and installing alsa libs, oss, etc. as per

                http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Intel&card=i820&chip=i820&module=intel8x0

                > > Then the standard ('alsamixer' and 'alsactl store' to set the levels,
                > > and all that's left is a distortion at levels above 78% through PCM)
                >
                > With maximum output level on my 8200 (also a sigmatel of some kind
                > aparently) i've always had that - I think its a hardware problem. I
                just
                > keep the main out turned down to about 1/2 way.
                >
                > - Steve

                But I don't think I had a problem in windows with it...maybe ALSA
                needs to work on their drivers, because when I used striclty OSS, in
                kernel 2.4.22 I don't think I had any problems either. *shrug*

                I'm just glad I can listen to music once again...
              • turkeynip
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 7, 2004
                  wrote:
                  > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Steve Harris <steve@t...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 09:54:18PM -0000, turkeynip wrote:
                  > > > It involved changing the sound to a module in the kernel (instead of
                  > > > built in 'Y') and installing alsa libs, oss, etc. as per

                  http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Intel&card=i820&chip=i820&module=intel8x0

                  > > > Then the standard ('alsamixer' and 'alsactl store' to set the
                  levels,
                  > > > and all that's left is a distortion at levels above 78% through PCM)
                  > >
                  > > With maximum output level on my 8200 (also a sigmatel of some kind
                  > > aparently) i've always had that - I think its a hardware problem. I
                  > just
                  > > keep the main out turned down to about 1/2 way.
                  > >
                  > > - Steve
                  >
                  > But I don't think I had a problem in windows with it...maybe ALSA
                  > needs to work on their drivers, because when I used striclty OSS, in
                  > kernel 2.4.22 I don't think I had any problems either. *shrug*
                  >
                  > I'm just glad I can listen to music once again...

                  Ok, I've been messing around with my sound for days now trying to get
                  PCM/master stuff to work (See my post on "PCM anyone?").

                  In messing around, I've found a way to get rid of the distortion.

                  1) Run 'alsamixer'
                  2) Change PCM Out to 'post 3D' (up arrow), this will nix your pcm
                  support though.
                  3) So you can still control your volume if it isn't controlable
                  through the "Master", configure the ALSA plugin in xmms so that the
                  mixer device is "Headphone".

                  Hopefully this is where my solution for PCM problems will reside.

                  Let me know if it works.

                  Best of luck!