[linux-dell-laptops] Re: No such device eth0

  • Steve Haslam
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 10, 1999
      On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 03:20:53AM -0800, titou_2000@... wrote:
      > Of course I have installed the PCMCIA package. In fact, usually a work
      > with my laptop with dock-bay and it works fine. My problem occurs when
      > I try to work with the laptop alone.
      > The eth0 device exists and works normally but alone doesn't.
      > I have no idea of how can I do.
      > Pls, could you tell me some guidelines? (I'm a very very newbie)

      If you're docked, then eth0 is your docking station card, and eth1 is
      your PCMCICA card.

      If you're not docked, then you just have eth0, your PCMCIA card.

      (Taking your laptop out of the docking station while Linux still has
      the docking station's network card driver loaded is usually fatal, in
      my experience).

      So, while docked, can you "ifconfig eth1 10.0.0.1" or something like
      that? If not, then you have a PCMCIA problem- it's not configuring
      your ethernet card. What PCMCIA messages do you have? What is the
      result of "cardctl ident"? (You need to be root to run that, I
      believe). Also look for something like this in your dmesg output:

      3c59x.c:v0.99L 5/28/99 Donald Becker http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html
      cs: cb_config(bus 32)
      fn 0 bar 1: io 0x200-0x27f
      fn 0 bar 2: mem 0xa0043000-0xa004307f
      fn 0 bar 3: mem 0xa0042000-0xa004207f
      fn 0 rom: mem 0xa0022000-0xa0041fff
      cs: cb_enable(bus 32)
      bridge io map 0 (flags 0x21): 0x200-0x27f
      bridge mem map 0 (flags 0x1): 0xa0022000-0xa0043fff
      vortex_attach(bus 32, function 0, device 5157)
      eth1: 3Com 3CCFE575 Cyclone CardBus at 0x200, 00:50:04:8c:bc:94, IRQ 9
      eth1: CardBus functions mapped a0042000->c8125000
      8K byte-wide RAM 5:3 Rx:Tx split, MII interface.
      MII transceiver found at address 0, status 7809.
      Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.

      HTH

      SRH
      --
      Steve Haslam, Production Engineer, Excite UK steve.haslam@...
      i sit and stare at the gun pointed at my head