[linux-dell-laptops] Re: No such device eth0

  • titou_2000@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 10, 1999
      Of course I have installed the PCMCIA package. In fact, usually a work
      with my laptop with dock-bay and it works fine. My problem occurs when
      I try to work with the laptop alone.
      The eth0 device exists and works normally but alone doesn't.
      I have no idea of how can I do.
      Pls, could you tell me some guidelines? (I'm a very very newbie)

      TIA

      neil <nei-@...> wrote:
      =218
      > On Thu, 09 Dec 1999 07:01:39 -0800, you wrote:
      >
      > ># ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
      > >
      > >SIOCSIFADDR: No such device eth0: unknown interface: No such device
      > >SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
      > >eth0: unknown interface: No such device
      >
      > >Can somebody help me? Pls. It's important for me.
      >
      > Have a look at dmesg.....type dmesg
      >
      > You should be seeing PCMCIA Card Services Loading (mine load after
      swap is
      > turned on), then after some probing for IRQs if should find the card
      load the
      > card driver THEN set up eth0 as a dummy device.
      >
      > Have you installed PCMCIA package ???
      >
      > How does that sound ?
      >
      > Neil

    • Neil
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 10, 1999
        On Fri, 10 Dec 1999 03:20:53 -0800, you wrote:

        >I have no idea of how can I do.
        >Pls, could you tell me some guidelines? (I'm a very very newbie)

        send us a copy of your DMESGif you boot undocked. Any mention of ethernet in
        /var/adm/messages ... grep around in your log files for any clues....

        I'm not god's gift to linux networking but you have to be a terrier and keep
        working away until you find the problem.

        Neil
      • Steve Haslam
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 10, 1999
          On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 03:20:53AM -0800, titou_2000@... wrote:
          > Of course I have installed the PCMCIA package. In fact, usually a work
          > with my laptop with dock-bay and it works fine. My problem occurs when
          > I try to work with the laptop alone.
          > The eth0 device exists and works normally but alone doesn't.
          > I have no idea of how can I do.
          > Pls, could you tell me some guidelines? (I'm a very very newbie)

          If you're docked, then eth0 is your docking station card, and eth1 is
          your PCMCICA card.

          If you're not docked, then you just have eth0, your PCMCIA card.

          (Taking your laptop out of the docking station while Linux still has
          the docking station's network card driver loaded is usually fatal, in
          my experience).

          So, while docked, can you "ifconfig eth1 10.0.0.1" or something like
          that? If not, then you have a PCMCIA problem- it's not configuring
          your ethernet card. What PCMCIA messages do you have? What is the
          result of "cardctl ident"? (You need to be root to run that, I
          believe). Also look for something like this in your dmesg output:

          3c59x.c:v0.99L 5/28/99 Donald Becker http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html
          cs: cb_config(bus 32)
          fn 0 bar 1: io 0x200-0x27f
          fn 0 bar 2: mem 0xa0043000-0xa004307f
          fn 0 bar 3: mem 0xa0042000-0xa004207f
          fn 0 rom: mem 0xa0022000-0xa0041fff
          cs: cb_enable(bus 32)
          bridge io map 0 (flags 0x21): 0x200-0x27f
          bridge mem map 0 (flags 0x1): 0xa0022000-0xa0043fff
          vortex_attach(bus 32, function 0, device 5157)
          eth1: 3Com 3CCFE575 Cyclone CardBus at 0x200, 00:50:04:8c:bc:94, IRQ 9
          eth1: CardBus functions mapped a0042000->c8125000
          8K byte-wide RAM 5:3 Rx:Tx split, MII interface.
          MII transceiver found at address 0, status 7809.
          Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.

          HTH

          SRH
          --
          Steve Haslam, Production Engineer, Excite UK steve.haslam@...
          i sit and stare at the gun pointed at my head