Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Hard Disk Confusion

  • David Vergin
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2003
      On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 20:45, Sean Gibbins wrote:
      > Check out the release notes for the various BIOS upgrades.
      > If it ain't in there I guess you'll just have to take their
      > word for it.

      I have found this page:
      http://support.dell.com/FileLib/Format.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&Category=1&OS=NAA&OSL=EN&SvcTag=&SysID=INS_PNT_P03_7500&DeviceID=450&Type=&ReleaseID=R23189

      But I cannot find anything I would call "Release Notes" that offer
      information like max hard disk size supported.

      Is there another place to look?

      dv
    • Sean Gibbins
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2003
        On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 09:42:05 +0000
        Peter Hayes <pedroh@...> wrote:

        > > Can anyone confirm or debunk the claim that the I7500
        > > has a max hard disk capacity of 30GB?
        >
        > Haven't a clue, sorry...

        Check out the release notes for the various BIOS upgrades.
        If it ain't in there I guess you'll just have to take their
        word for it.

        Sean
      • myronsussman
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, David Vergin <dvergin@i...>
          wrote:
          > On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 20:45, Sean Gibbins wrote:
          > > Check out the release notes for the various BIOS upgrades.
          > > If it ain't in there I guess you'll just have to take their
          > > word for it.
          >
          > I have found this page:

          http://support.dell.com/FileLib/Format.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&Category=1&OS=NAA&OSL=EN&SvcTag=&SysID=INS_PNT_P03_7500&DeviceID=450&Type=&ReleaseID=R23189

          > But I cannot find anything I would call "Release Notes" that offer
          > information like max hard disk size supported.
          >
          > Is there another place to look?
          >
          > dv

          David, The issue of maximum hard disk size that the BIOS can handle
          is only valid if you are running an inferior operating system that
          uses BIOS calls to access the disk. Linux does not. All you need
          to worry about is that your Windows partition (if any) and your
          Linux boot partition are below the BIOS limit. Generally, if
          you buy a big hard disk, you will find pre-boot software so that
          Windows can deal with the big disk, but there is no need for it
          on a Linux system.

          When I put a large hard drive on a dual-boot system, I put the
          windows and boot partitions under the limit (often 32 GB,
          sometimes 8GB, smaller in the early days) and put the linux
          partitions higher. No problem.
        • mchristoph.eckert@t-online.de
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
            Am Samstag, 6. Dezember 2003 19:15 schrieb myronsussman:

            Hi,

            > but there is no need for it
            > on a Linux system.

            I cannot agree without a small limitation.

            It's right that Linux does not limit the disk size to 30GB.

            But on a older machine, I had to tell the BIOS not to care
            about the second hard drive. Fortunately, there was such an
            option.

            BUT: If you cannot tell the BIOS not to care about the new
            hard drive, you will be unable to start linux, and this way
            be limited to 30GB.

            Gruß / regards

            ce

            ======