Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Hard Disk Confusion

  • Peter Hayes
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2003
      On 4 Dec 2003, at 23:35, David Vergin wrote:

      > I've been shopping for a new hard disk for my Inspiron 7500.
      >
      > Question 1:
      > The "universal" drives sold on many sites are described as 2.5 inches
      > *long*. The hard disk accessable by unscrewing two screws on the bottom
      > of my machine is 2.5 inches *wide* and 4 inches long (or 4.25 including
      > the connector).
      >
      > Is this going to work? Does the shorter case just sit in the tray with
      > room to spare? Are the dimensions turned around?

      Sounds like the dimensions are turned around. The dimension with the
      pins at one end should be the longest, as you say.

      I believe all "universal" laptop drives have the same length and width.
      The height can vary, 9mm or 12.5mm or thereabouts. Just make sure if
      you opt for the 12.5mm size that it'll fit.

      > Question 2:
      > The Dell support line told me the BIOS on my I7500 can only handle hard
      > disks up to 30GB. I asked about a BIOS upgrade. He said they sell them
      > but it wouldn't help with the hard drive max size. I'm afraid he just
      > wants to sell me a new machine.
      >
      > Can anyone confirm or debunk the claim that the I7500 has a max hard
      > disk capacity of 30GB?

      Haven't a clue, sorry...

      Peter
    • David Vergin
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2003
        On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 20:45, Sean Gibbins wrote:
        > Check out the release notes for the various BIOS upgrades.
        > If it ain't in there I guess you'll just have to take their
        > word for it.

        I have found this page:
        http://support.dell.com/FileLib/Format.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&Category=1&OS=NAA&OSL=EN&SvcTag=&SysID=INS_PNT_P03_7500&DeviceID=450&Type=&ReleaseID=R23189

        But I cannot find anything I would call "Release Notes" that offer
        information like max hard disk size supported.

        Is there another place to look?

        dv
      • Sean Gibbins
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2003
          On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 09:42:05 +0000
          Peter Hayes <pedroh@...> wrote:

          > > Can anyone confirm or debunk the claim that the I7500
          > > has a max hard disk capacity of 30GB?
          >
          > Haven't a clue, sorry...

          Check out the release notes for the various BIOS upgrades.
          If it ain't in there I guess you'll just have to take their
          word for it.

          Sean
        • myronsussman
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, David Vergin <dvergin@i...>
            wrote:
            > On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 20:45, Sean Gibbins wrote:
            > > Check out the release notes for the various BIOS upgrades.
            > > If it ain't in there I guess you'll just have to take their
            > > word for it.
            >
            > I have found this page:

            http://support.dell.com/FileLib/Format.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&Category=1&OS=NAA&OSL=EN&SvcTag=&SysID=INS_PNT_P03_7500&DeviceID=450&Type=&ReleaseID=R23189

            > But I cannot find anything I would call "Release Notes" that offer
            > information like max hard disk size supported.
            >
            > Is there another place to look?
            >
            > dv

            David, The issue of maximum hard disk size that the BIOS can handle
            is only valid if you are running an inferior operating system that
            uses BIOS calls to access the disk. Linux does not. All you need
            to worry about is that your Windows partition (if any) and your
            Linux boot partition are below the BIOS limit. Generally, if
            you buy a big hard disk, you will find pre-boot software so that
            Windows can deal with the big disk, but there is no need for it
            on a Linux system.

            When I put a large hard drive on a dual-boot system, I put the
            windows and boot partitions under the limit (often 32 GB,
            sometimes 8GB, smaller in the early days) and put the linux
            partitions higher. No problem.
          • mchristoph.eckert@t-online.de
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
              Am Samstag, 6. Dezember 2003 19:15 schrieb myronsussman:

              Hi,

              > but there is no need for it
              > on a Linux system.

              I cannot agree without a small limitation.

              It's right that Linux does not limit the disk size to 30GB.

              But on a older machine, I had to tell the BIOS not to care
              about the second hard drive. Fortunately, there was such an
              option.

              BUT: If you cannot tell the BIOS not to care about the new
              hard drive, you will be unable to start linux, and this way
              be limited to 30GB.

              Gruß / regards

              ce

              ======