Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Knoppix STD on a Dell Inspiron 1100

  • Damien Solley
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2003
      On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 14:12, dithered1 wrote: I have an inspiron 1100
      runnin WinXP, Intel Celeron 2.2 w/333mhz FSB,
      256mb DDR PC2100 Ram with Intel Extreme Graphics and I am trying to
      run Knoppix STD on it so I dont have to install Linux onto the hard
      drive. The problem I am having is with the screen size. It is about
      60% and in the center. There is a picture on this group that is not
      mine, but the resolution is the exact same problem I am having when I
      try to run it. I have tried all the cheat codes to fix it but nothing
      works. Any suggestions??

      Hi dithered1
      The 1100s with the new A20 BIOSes don't work correctly with the current
      XFree86. You need to run a patch before XFree86 starts to get full
      resolution. However, I don't know how you might compile and run this
      patch in Knoppix, as you can't modify the CD image very easily. Have a
      read of the display setup section at:
      http://geocities.com/randomnumbergenerator2001/
      You might need to do a hard drive install to allow running of the
      845patch before XFree starts.
      Regards
      Damien