suse 9.0 professional on Inspiron 8200

  • banirban
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2003
      Hi,
      I am new to linux so please bear with my ginorance. I am planning
      to install Suse 9.0 professional and keep my XP home as is on my
      Inspiron 8200. I got an external usb hard drive which I partitioned --
      -- I am using 50 Gb for Windows and keeping the rest(25 Gb) for
      linux. I have 20 Gb internal hard drive with the XP installed. I have
      a few questions outlined below which I would appreciate very much if
      somebody can respond:

      1. I have 32 Mb Nvidia Geforce 2 Go. Does Suse 9.0 come with correct
      drivers for that or I need to install them from Nvidia site?

      2. Is there some way I can make a bootable CD --- basically what I
      mean is that I do not want to touch my existing master boot record
      which boots the windows. I would chose the option of booting from CD
      and once it boots I will specify to load from the external hard drive.

      Thanks for your help
      Anirban
    • mchristoph.eckert@t-online.de
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2003
        Hi,

        Am Dienstag, 2. Dezember 2003 21:41 schrieb banirban:

        > 1. I have 32 Mb Nvidia Geforce 2 Go. Does Suse 9.0 come
        > with correct drivers for that or I need to install them
        > from Nvidia site?

        due to licensing problems, SuSE is not wllowed to deliver the
        drivers directly.

        On my i8k, instead, I called the included online update after
        installation. The online update fetched and installed the
        NVidia drivers absolutely correct.

        On the other hand, XFree comes with an native driver called
        'nv' which is good enough to drive the Notebook for normal
        office use.

        > 2. Is there some way I can make a bootable CD --- basically
        > what I mean is that I do not want to touch my existing
        > master boot record which boots the windows. I would chose
        > the option of booting from CD and once it boots I will
        > specify to load from the external hard drive.

        You can use the installation CD/DVD.

        On SuSE 9.0, per default the OS on the MBR will be bootet
        after the timeout.

        Otherwise, you can choose installation => boot installed
        system. So you do not need to touch your MBR.

        Gruß / regards

        ce

        ======
        Jabber: HomoSapientz@...

        SuSE 8.0 on a Dell Inspiron 8200:
        http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/
        ======
      • banirban
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
          Hi Christoph,
          thanks a lot for your reply. I have another question Nvidia
          drivers --- I have dial-up and have Netzero as my ISP. Would Suse be
          able to fetch the drivers from the website or I need to download them
          and give some path from where it will install?

          Regards
          Anirban
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, mchristoph.eckert@t...

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
            Am Mittwoch, 3. Dezember 2003 16:43 schrieb banirban:

            Hi,

            > thanks a lot for your reply. I have another question Nvidia
            > drivers --- I have dial-up and have Netzero as my ISP.
            > Would Suse be able to fetch the drivers from the website or
            > I need to download them and give some path from where it
            > will install?

            When you install the NVidia drivers manually, additional work
            will be necessary, more direct, modifying the /etc/X11/
            XF86Config will be necessary.

            The Online-updater will do all necessary steps automatically,
            and this is very convenient because it saves a lot of
            (documentation reading) time.

            I do not know Netzero, but if it is a normal ISP, I see no
            problem. The update packages are fetched using http or ftp.

            Gruß / regards

            ce

            ======
            Jabber: HomoSapientz@...

            SuSE 8.0 on a Dell Inspiron 8200:
            http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/
            ======
          • W.K. Vladmir Ward
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
              Hi all

              After much fiddling I finally figured out how the
              ncpmount command works. I've got access to the Netware
              servers here now, but I've run across a problem.

              I've been trying to run the command "du -hs
              /mnt/fs1/VOL1/HOME/*" from my Linux machine to see how
              much space each individual user directory is taking
              up. It seems to go pretty quickly at first, but after
              it gets about 20-30 directories in starts to slow down
              a lot. At first I figured it had hit one of our
              directories which contains a huge ammount of data (10+
              gb), but even after getting past that operation is
              incredibly slow.

              I've got a WiFi connection on this laptop, and
              watching the network usage on eth1 (my wireless card)
              through GKrellM it seems that network usage grows and
              grows as du gets further through the directory tree.
              My CPU also ends up being much more utilized over what
              it was at the start of running the command.

              Does du buffer things somehow instead of just dumping
              it to the console? What could be causing this extreme
              slowdown? I've run into it every time I've tried.
              Thanks for any help.

              =====
              Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

              Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
              http://companion.yahoo.com/
            • Anirban Bhattacharyya
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
                Hi Mchristoph,
                  thanks a lot. I have Actiontec MD56ORD V92 MDC Modem --- is that supported under Suse? I was under the impression that winmodems do not work under linux. That's why I was wondering how Suse would be able to access internet thru the dial-up modem.
                 Another question --- sorry for troubling you so much ---- do I need to make any change to the display settings --- I have SXGA+ (1400 * 1050) or Suse would automatically detect the settings?
                  Also I would be installing Suse on USB  external hard drive. Can that be an issue?

                Thanks in advance,
                Anirban

                mchristoph.eckert@... wrote:
                Am Mittwoch, 3. Dezember 2003 16:43 schrieb banirban:

                Hi,

                > thanks a lot for your reply. I have another question Nvidia
                > drivers --- I have dial-up and have Netzero as my ISP.
                > Would Suse be able to fetch the drivers from the website or
                > I need to download them and give some path from where it
                > will install?

                When you install the NVidia drivers manually, additional work
                will be necessary, more direct, modifying the /etc/X11/
                XF86Config will be necessary.

                The Online-updater will do all necessary steps automatically,
                and this is very convenient because it saves a lot of
                (documentation reading) time.

                I do not know Netzero, but if it is a normal ISP, I see no
                problem. The update packages are fetched using http or ftp.

                      Gru� / regards

                                        ce

                ======
                Jabber: HomoSapientz@...

                SuSE 8.0 on a Dell Inspiron 8200:
                http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/
                ======

                Do you Yahoo!?

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
                  Am Donnerstag, 4. Dezember 2003 04:40 schrieb Anirban
                  Bhattacharyya:

                  Hi,

                  > thanks a lot. I have Actiontec MD56ORD V92 MDC Modem ---
                  > is that supported under Suse?

                  Sorry, do not know this modem.

                  > I was under the impression
                  > that winmodems do not work under linux.

                  For my modem, there has been an driver which I used until SuSE
                  8.2.

                  Unfortunately, the (binary) drivers are not longer available
                  for free download. I can now buy the driver but I do not need
                  it because of ADSL.

                  Otherwise, one can get a free version but this is linited to
                  14.4K.

                  But this was for my modem which is not a Actiontec.

                  > Another question --- sorry for troubling
                  > you so much ---- do I need to make any change to the
                  > display settings --- I have SXGA+ (1400 * 1050) or Suse
                  > would automatically detect the settings?

                  SuSE will guess 1600*1400; simply select 1400*1050 from the
                  popup menu; no problem. On 8.0 through 8.2 I had to do some
                  manual config editing, but 9.0 was very simple.

                  > Also I would be
                  > installing Suse on USB external hard drive. Can that be an
                  > issue?

                  I do know if this will work.

                  First of all, your BIOS should be able to boot from USB. Check
                  your BIOS to figure this out.

                  Secondly, while booting, the kernel will unmount the USB-disk
                  (which is mounted RO at this time) and remount it RW. If, at
                  this point, the kernel doesn't have the right driver
                  somewhere, it will fail.

                  I think, it can work, but also it could fail. I cannot help
                  you if this will fail.

                  Gruß / regards

                  ce

                  ======
                  Jabber: HomoSapientz@...

                  SuSE 8.0 on a Dell Inspiron 8200:
                  http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/
                  ======
                • Sean Gibbins
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
                    On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 19:40:45 -0800 (PST)
                    Anirban Bhattacharyya <banirban@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Mchristoph,
                    > thanks a lot. I have Actiontec MD56ORD V92 MDC Modem ---
                    > is that supported under Suse?

                    http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~sudhakar/linux/linux-dell.html

                    Looks like you're in luck!

                    Sean
                  • banirban
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
                      Hi Sean,
                      thanks a lot for your very helpful infos. The website is very
                      useful. Also I will definitely post in this site when I run into any
                      difficulties while installing/booting with linux.

                      Thanks once again,
                      Anirban
                      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Sean Gibbins <sean@f...>