Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Getting started with Linux

  • Steve Harris
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2003
      On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 05:01:05AM -0000, jimburt372 wrote:
      > the 'what to do next' part. I need to learn how to shut off unneeded
      > daemons/services, identify what services/daemons that are associated
      > with what activities, etc... Bsasically the "real stuff" for doing

      Well, you can do the first by running redhat-config-services, you should
      get a bit of explanation about each service that appears there and you can
      usually get more by running
      man <name-of-service>
      And even more in /usr/share/doc/

      FWIW, I leanrt unix by looking in /bin/ and running man on the commands in
      there, but I was a student with too much time on my hands :)

      - Steve