Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: General Gnome question

  • Ken Witherow
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
      On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, impthegrey wrote:

      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Ken Witherow
      > <phantoml666@y...> wrote:
      > > On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, impthegrey wrote:
      > >
      > > > I remember a few years back when Gnome ran on top of Enlightenment. I
      > > > was impressed on the configuration options of E. I noticed Gnome is
      > > > no longer using E, so I was wondering if it was still possible to run
      > > > Gnome on top of E. I dont really like the wm that Gnome is using
      > > > right now.
      > >
      > > I'm using E with gnome 2.4.0... for it to work properly, you need to
      > pull
      > > the latest E 16 out of cvs and build it
      >
      > I got E 16 compiled, how do I get gnome to use enlightenment? I'm
      > having a hell of a time trying to find anything on it.

      in a terminal:

      killall metacity; englightenment &

      save your session and it'll use enlightenment from then on

      note that I get a VERY long delay when starting E for some reason since
      a cvs pull sometime in the summer. It takes about 60 seconds for gnome to
      decide to load everything else, but all is fine after that

      --
      Ken Witherow <phantoml AT rochester.rr.com>
      ICQ: 21840670 AIM: phantomlordken
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2003
        Enlightenment. I
        Gnome is

        > > > I'm using E with gnome 2.4.0... for it to work properly, you
        need to
        > > pull
        > > > the latest E 16 out of cvs and build it
        > >
        > > I got E 16 compiled, how do I get gnome to use enlightenment? I'm
        > > having a hell of a time trying to find anything on it.
        >
        > in a terminal:
        >
        > killall metacity; englightenment &
        >
        > save your session and it'll use enlightenment from then on
        >
        > note that I get a VERY long delay when starting E for some reason
        since
        > a cvs pull sometime in the summer. It takes about 60 seconds for
        gnome to
        > decide to load everything else, but all is fine after that

        Thanks for the help. I noticed after I did that, Gnome didn't want
        to load anymore. I only gave it like a minute to load, but I got it
        to work right anyways. I created an .xinitrc file in the home
        directory of my user account and put this in:
        enlightenment &
        gnome-session

        When I put the above 2 lines in without the &, it continued to do the
        same thing where gnome doesnt load. Once I put the & in,
        enlightenment loaded fine, and gnome started up right away after
        enlightenment was finished loading. See if this will work for you.

        Ryan