Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Extra Hard Drive Tray (was New Hard Disk)

  • Doug Campbell
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
      > I'm not very on-topic, but its still hard disk related.
      > Is there any place where one can buy the disk-holding _tray_ for a
      > Inspiron 82K ? I have one spare slim disk drive, I do like to use it,
      > and I'm fed up taking all the small screws from my regular tray.
      > Any hints ?

      I did this a few months ago. I called Dell spare parts USA at
      one of (don't remember which I used now):

      1-800-449-3355 x69937
      1-800-357-3355 x69937
      1-800-624-9896 2, 2, 4

      They were out of the tray that holds both 9.5mm and 12.5mm
      drives, so I got the one for 12.5mm drives. This is part
      4169D. If you use a 9.5mm drive (like I do), you need to
      put some foam or something in to keep it from rattling
      around in the extra space.

      The tray requires some screws that they were also out of
      stock on, but I found that I had some that worked.

      Good luck!
    • Randy Dees
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
        Ebay also works quite well. I recently got a pair of trays for my new
        Latitude D600. Prices tend to vary widely, but I paid far less for the
        parts than going direct to Dell.

        <quote who="Doug Campbell">
        >> I'm not very on-topic, but its still hard disk related.
        >> Is there any place where one can buy the disk-holding _tray_ for a
        >> Inspiron 82K ? I have one spare slim disk drive, I do like to use it,
        >> and I'm fed up taking all the small screws from my regular tray.
        >> Any hints ?
        >
        > I did this a few months ago. I called Dell spare parts USA at
        > one of (don't remember which I used now):
        >
        > 1-800-449-3355 x69937
        > 1-800-357-3355 x69937
        > 1-800-624-9896 2, 2, 4
        >
        > They were out of the tray that holds both 9.5mm and 12.5mm
        > drives, so I got the one for 12.5mm drives. This is part
        > 4169D. If you use a 9.5mm drive (like I do), you need to
        > put some foam or something in to keep it from rattling
        > around in the extra space.
        >
        > The tray requires some screws that they were also out of
        > stock on, but I found that I had some that worked.
        >
        > Good luck!

        <signature
        who="Randy Dees" url="http://deesfamily.com"
        phone="704-618-0887"