Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 8600 Linux compatibility

  • Kovacs Richard
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
      On Fri, Nov 28 AthlonRob wrote:
      > > Power Management - Does it have ACPI or APM? If acpi, does it have a
      > > proper acpi
      > > support? Thermal things, proper suspend resume, to ram, or to disk?
      > AFAIK- ACPI = yes, APM = no, ACPI thermal - no (unless they've switched
      > from the i8k stuff - one or the other should work), standby, s2r, s2d?
      > Dunno.

      ACPI or APM suspend to anything was the second most important thing in
      my list (although I did not put it in the second place). So can anyone
      who has an I8600 enlighten me on this subject?

      Thx,

      Richard
    • Kovacs Richard
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
        On Fri, Nov 28 Sean Gibbins wrote:
        > > Graphics - Does the nvidia binary driver work for 3D?
        > Yup. Apparently you need to go back one release tho: I understand there are
        > issues with the current one. I took the advice and haven't tried the new one
        > yet!

        Okay, you mean go back one release means not to use the Geforce FX Go
        5650 but the Geforce FX Go5200?

        Thx for your opinion,

        Richard
      • Kovacs Richard
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 12, 2003
          Hello Everybody,

          Well, I've waited for a week or two for some answers.

          So this means that nobody who has inspiron 8600 has ever tried suspending
          his/her Linux box? What do you 8600 owners use for power management
          apm or acpi?

          If you do not want to bother the listt with this I am also happy to
          receive any replies personnally.

          TIA,

          Richard
        • Paul V. Gratz
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 12, 2003
            I have an 8500 and I believe that the 8600 is very similar, with the
            exception of centrino vs P4-m in mine. On the 8500 there is no apm
            support, therefore you need to get acpi working if you want any power
            management features. It took a substantial amount of work but I was
            finally able to get everything except save to disk mode working with
            acpi (I could do save to disk but I don't have a big enough swap
            partition so I'll wait till I get around to repartitioning the hd or if
            I get a new bigger one).

            The trouble was mostly caused by the fact that Dell bios's are notorious
            for broken dtst (did I spell that right?) tables, in the end I found
            someone who had a custom kernel patch that fixed all the issues (mostly
            related to battery status reading). Currently I can sleep, powerdown
            safely via powerbutton, perform any action I want on lid closure, turn
            off the backlight on inactivity or lid closure and etc. Also I have got
            the dvd player/cdr burner working, various usb 1.1 and 2.0 perif's
            working, and all the extra little buttons on the keyboard mapped to
            functions. I've posted about it pretty extensively about it on this
            list so you may want to search it first but if you need help with
            something specific let me know.
            Pauil

            On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 03:02, Kovacs Richard wrote:
            > Hello Everybody,
            >

            > Well, I've waited for a week or two for some answers.
            >
            > So this means that nobody who has inspiron 8600 has ever tried suspending
            > his/her Linux box? What do you 8600 owners use for power management
            > apm or acpi?
            >
            > If you do not want to bother the listt with this I am also happy to
            > receive any replies personnally.
            >

            > TIA,
            >
            > Richard

          • Kovacs Richard
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 14, 2003
              Hello,

              Thanks for the information, I really appritiate it. I did some further
              investigating and found that there is a very good chance that the
              suspend modes will work on 8600. Of course I cannot be sure.

              On Fri, Dec 12 Paul V. Gratz wrote:
              > The trouble was mostly caused by the fact that Dell bios's are notorious
              > for broken dtst (did I spell that right?) tables, in the end I found

              Yeah, I have an Inspiron 2600 at the moment, and I had to manually
              correct the DSDT table, and then patch the kernel with the proper
              table. Unfortunately I am fmiliar with what you are writing here.

              > off the backlight on inactivity or lid closure and etc. Also I have got
              > the dvd player/cdr burner working, various usb 1.1 and 2.0 perif's

              Is there something special to know about getting the dvd writer to
              work? (Do you have taht in your laptop?)

              Thanks again,

              Richard
            • Paul Gratz
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 14, 2003
                On Sun, 2003-12-14 at 08:33, Kovacs Richard wrote:
                > Hello,
                >
                > Thanks for the information, I really appritiate it. I did some further
                > investigating and found that there is a very good chance that the
                > suspend modes will work on 8600. Of course I cannot be sure.
                >
                > On Fri, Dec 12 Paul V. Gratz wrote:
                > > The trouble was mostly caused by the fact that Dell bios's are notorious
                > > for broken dtst (did I spell that right?) tables, in the end I found
                >
                > Yeah, I have an Inspiron 2600 at the moment, and I had to manually
                > correct the DSDT table, and then patch the kernel with the proper
                > table. Unfortunately I am fmiliar with what you are writing here.
                >
                > > off the backlight on inactivity or lid closure and etc. Also I have got
                > > the dvd player/cdr burner working, various usb 1.1 and 2.0 perif's
                >
                > Is there something special to know about getting the dvd writer to
                > work? (Do you have taht in your laptop?)

                Actually it is only a DVD player and CD-R/RW burner. That pretty much
                worked out of box. I did just get a sony USB 2.0 dvd-/+R/RW burner but
                I have not yet gotten it working (beyond just reading cdr and dvd's). If
                you want I'll let you know what it takes to get it going (whenever I
                do).