Re: [linux-dell-laptops] New Hard Disk

  • Sean Gibbins
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1 12:11 AM
      --------- Original Message --------
      From: linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com
      To: linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com <linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [linux-dell-laptops] New Hard Disk
      Date: 01/12/03 07:18

      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm not very on-topic, but its still hard disk related.
      > Is there any place where one can buy the disk-holding _tray_ for a
      > Inspiron 82K ? I have one spare slim disk drive, I do like to use it,
      > and I'm fed up taking all the small screws from my regular tray.
      > Any hints ?

      Don't know about that, but I do know that you can purchase a modular tray
      that slots in where your floppy normally lives to hold a second HDD. A
      colleague has one on his 8100. I have seen these on eBay, reasonably priced.

      Sean

      Message sent using UebiMiau 2.7.2
    • Pierre-Yves Bonnetain
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1 12:17 AM
        Hi,

        I'm not very on-topic, but its still hard disk related.
        Is there any place where one can buy the disk-holding _tray_ for a
        Inspiron 82K ? I have one spare slim disk drive, I do like to use it,
        and I'm fed up taking all the small screws from my regular tray.
        Any hints ?
        Thanks,

        --
        Pierre-Yves Bonnetain
        B&A Consultants - Sécurité informatique
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1 5:46 AM
          > I'm not very on-topic, but its still hard disk related.
          > Is there any place where one can buy the disk-holding _tray_ for a
          > Inspiron 82K ? I have one spare slim disk drive, I do like to use it,
          > and I'm fed up taking all the small screws from my regular tray.
          > Any hints ?

          I did this a few months ago. I called Dell spare parts USA at
          one of (don't remember which I used now):

          1-800-449-3355 x69937
          1-800-357-3355 x69937
          1-800-624-9896 2, 2, 4

          They were out of the tray that holds both 9.5mm and 12.5mm
          drives, so I got the one for 12.5mm drives. This is part
          4169D. If you use a 9.5mm drive (like I do), you need to
          put some foam or something in to keep it from rattling
          around in the extra space.

          The tray requires some screws that they were also out of
          stock on, but I found that I had some that worked.

          Good luck!
        • Randy Dees
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1 6:26 AM
            Ebay also works quite well. I recently got a pair of trays for my new
            Latitude D600. Prices tend to vary widely, but I paid far less for the
            parts than going direct to Dell.

            <quote who="Doug Campbell">
            >> I'm not very on-topic, but its still hard disk related.
            >> Is there any place where one can buy the disk-holding _tray_ for a
            >> Inspiron 82K ? I have one spare slim disk drive, I do like to use it,
            >> and I'm fed up taking all the small screws from my regular tray.
            >> Any hints ?
            >
            > I did this a few months ago. I called Dell spare parts USA at
            > one of (don't remember which I used now):
            >
            > 1-800-449-3355 x69937
            > 1-800-357-3355 x69937
            > 1-800-624-9896 2, 2, 4
            >
            > They were out of the tray that holds both 9.5mm and 12.5mm
            > drives, so I got the one for 12.5mm drives. This is part
            > 4169D. If you use a 9.5mm drive (like I do), you need to
            > put some foam or something in to keep it from rattling
            > around in the extra space.
            >
            > The tray requires some screws that they were also out of
            > stock on, but I found that I had some that worked.
            >
            > Good luck!

            <signature
            who="Randy Dees" url="http://deesfamily.com"
            phone="704-618-0887"