i8k utils ?

  • mpierce
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 28, 2003
      Trying to get multimedia buttons for a Dell Inspiron 8100 setup.

      In what file would I put this:
      /usr/bin/i8kbuttons -u "aumix -v +10" -d "aumix -v -10" -m "aumix -v 0"
      -r 100 -v
    • mchristoph.eckert@t-online.de
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 29, 2003
        Am Samstag, 29. November 2003 04:44 schrieb mpierce:
        > Trying to get multimedia buttons for a Dell Inspiron 8100
        > setup.
        >
        > In what file would I put this:
        > /usr/bin/i8kbuttons -u "aumix -v +10" -d "aumix -v -10" -m
        > "aumix -v 0" -r 100 -v

        Hi,

        Mine is in /etc/init.d/boot.local (SuSE Box).

        Gruß / regards

        ce

        ======
        Jabber: HomoSapientz@...

        SuSE 8.0 on a Dell Inspiron 8200:
        http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/
        ======
      • mpierce
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 29, 2003
          Debian boxes don't have this file. We have /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh
          I originally put the file in this but it hung the boot process and I
          have to do a ctrl+c for it to continue. I'll try again to see what
          develops.
          ---

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 29, 2003
            Am Samstag, 29. November 2003 12:19 schrieb mpierce:

            > Debian boxes don't have this file.

            SuSE doesn't have this file per default, too. If it doesn't
            exist, one creates it. It is read if it exists.

            On Debian, I'm not experienced. But it should be possible to
            write any start scrript and linking it to the desired
            runlevel.

            Gruß / regards

            ce

            ======
            Jabber: HomoSapientz@...

            SuSE 8.0 on a Dell Inspiron 8200:
            http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/
            ======
          • AthlonRob
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 29, 2003
              On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 03:19, mpierce wrote:
              > Debian boxes don't have this file. We have /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh
              > I originally put the file in this but it hung the boot process and I
              > have to do a ctrl+c for it to continue. I'll try again to see what
              > develops.

              Put a & at the end of the line.....

              It's probably locking the terminal.

              Rob
            • mpierce
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 29, 2003
                >From terminial, if I run:

                root@libranet:/home/mpierce# /usr/bin/i8kbuttons -u "aumix -v +10" -d
                "aumix -v -10" -m "aumix -v 0" -r 100 -v &

                It does not simply accept this command as it produces this output
                without releasing and going back to a prompt:

                [1] 4951
                root@libranet:/home/mpierce# i8kbuttons v1.3 07/11/2001 - Copyright (C)
                Massimo Dal Zotto <dz@...>

                It has obviously accepted the command as process #4951 but why is it
                failing to release?
                ---
                On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 05:48, AthlonRob wrote:
                > On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 03:19, mpierce wrote:
                > > Debian boxes don't have this file. We have /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh
                > > I originally put the file in this but it hung the boot process and I
                > > have to do a ctrl+c for it to continue. I'll try again to see what
                > > develops.
                >
                > Put a & at the end of the line.....
                >
                > It's probably locking the terminal.
                >
                > Rob

              • AthlonRob
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 29, 2003
                  On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 12:23, mpierce wrote:
                  > >From terminial, if I run:
                  >
                  > root@libranet:/home/mpierce# /usr/bin/i8kbuttons -u "aumix -v +10" -d
                  > "aumix -v -10" -m "aumix -v 0" -r 100 -v &
                  >
                  > It does not simply accept this command as it produces this output
                  > without releasing and going back to a prompt:
                  >
                  > [1] 4951
                  > root@libranet:/home/mpierce# i8kbuttons v1.3 07/11/2001 - Copyright
                  > (C)
                  > Massimo Dal Zotto <dz@...>

                  That's released, it's just still outputting to stdout, which is still
                  going on to your screen. If that's all the output it gives, don't worry
                  about it. If it gives more output, run it as:

                  i8kbuttons "blah blah" &> /dev/null &

                  Rob
                • mpierce
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 29, 2003
                    Can I do this before I try a reboot by putting this in a file,
                    set-i8kbuttons as a call from /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh:

                    /usr/bin/i8kbuttons -u "aumix -v +10" -d "aumix -v -10" -m "aumix -v 0"
                    -r 100 -v
                    : exit

                    ---
                    On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 07:38, AthlonRob wrote:
                    > On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 12:23, mpierce wrote:
                    > > >From terminial, if I run:
                    > >
                    > > root@libranet:/home/mpierce# /usr/bin/i8kbuttons -u "aumix -v +10" -d
                    > > "aumix -v -10" -m "aumix -v 0" -r 100 -v &
                    > >
                    > > It does not simply accept this command as it produces this output
                    > > without releasing and going back to a prompt:
                    > >
                    > > [1] 4951
                    > > root@libranet:/home/mpierce# i8kbuttons v1.3 07/11/2001 - Copyright
                    > > (C)
                    > > Massimo Dal Zotto <dz@...>
                    >
                    > That's released, it's just still outputting to stdout, which is still
                    > going on to your screen. If that's all the output it gives, don't worry
                    > about it. If it gives more output, run it as:
                    >
                    > i8kbuttons "blah blah" &> /dev/null &
                    >
                    > Rob

                  • AthlonRob
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 29, 2003
                      On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 12:44, mpierce wrote:
                      > Can I do this before I try a reboot by putting this in a file,
                      > set-i8kbuttons as a call from /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh:
                      >
                      > /usr/bin/i8kbuttons -u "aumix -v +10" -d "aumix -v -10" -m "aumix -v
                      > 0"
                      > -r 100 -v
                      > : exit

                      I haven't seen that : exit thing before... and your word wrapping is
                      broken.

                      You can certainly try it if you want to - I'm not going to stop you.
                      :-)

                      Also, you don't really need to reboot... you can probably just try
                      running the script manually and see what happens.

                      Rob
                    • mpierce
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 29, 2003
                        Word-wrapping OK; caused by email wrapping on
                        Still does not release
                        Hmmm...
                        Any suggestion as to how to make it release?
                        ---
                        On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 08:09, AthlonRob wrote:
                        > On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 12:44, mpierce wrote:
                        > > Can I do this before I try a reboot by putting this in a file,
                        > > set-i8kbuttons as a call from /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh:
                        > >
                        > > /usr/bin/i8kbuttons -u "aumix -v +10" -d "aumix -v -10" -m "aumix -v
                        > > 0"
                        > > -r 100 -v
                        > > : exit
                        >
                        > I haven't seen that : exit thing before... and your word wrapping is
                        > broken.
                        >
                        > You can certainly try it if you want to - I'm not going to stop you.
                        > :-)
                        >
                        > Also, you don't really need to reboot... you can probably just try
                        > running the script manually and see what happens.
                        >
                        > Rob

                      • AthlonRob
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 29, 2003
                          On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 14:30, mpierce wrote:
                          > Word-wrapping OK; caused by email wrapping on
                          > Still does not release

                          Type the command with the & at the end of it.

                          Type the next command you wish to run.

                          Does it run?

                          Then it worked. You can now use the terminal for whatever else you wish
                          to use it for.

                          Rob
                        • mpierce
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 30, 2003
                            Command now working; your were right - word wrap error!
                            Thanks for help!
                            On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 12:40, AthlonRob wrote:
                            > On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 14:30, mpierce wrote:
                            > > Word-wrapping OK; caused by email wrapping on
                            > > Still does not release
                            >
                            > Type the command with the & at the end of it.
                            >
                            > Type the next command you wish to run.
                            >
                            > Does it run?
                            >
                            > Then it worked. You can now use the terminal for whatever else you wish
                            > to use it for.
                            >
                            > Rob

                          • Jimbo and SuziQ
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 5, 2003

                              How would I install those same buttons on another linux distribution?  Like SuSE 9.0 pro for example?

                              Jimbo

                              Eliminate annoying spam!

                              My mailbox is protected by iHateSpam, the #1-rated spam buster.
                              http://www.ihatespam.net

                            • pben2
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 6, 2003
                                --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Jimbo and SuziQ"
                                <mobilejimbo@y...> wrote:
                                > How would I install those same buttons on another linux
                                distribution?
                                > Like SuSE 9.0 pro for example?
                                >
                                > Jimbo

                                ---------------------
                                > Eliminate annoying spam!
                                >
                                > My mailbox is protected by iHateSpam, the #1-rated spam buster.
                                > http://www.ihatespam.net

                                I don't have SUSE 9 but I have used SuSE 8.2 and I don't think the
                                stock kernel supported i8k, but I only had it on my notebook for a
                                couple of days. If it doesn't support i8k you will have to compile a
                                custom kernel and configure it to support the i8k module. It is not
                                that hard to comple a custom kernel so that should not really scare
                                you off, really!

                                If you will also need to compile the i8k tools. I like the gkrellm
                                plugin that supports i8k a lot better than the basic tools on the i8k
                                web site at lest for fan control. Debian maked it easy to you install
                                all the i8k toys, including the special keys, once you build a custom
                                kernel, but the stock Debian kernel doesn't support i8k either.

                                I guess the answer is you will need to spend a few hours of your time
                                rebuilding things. A nice weekend project on a cold winter day.

                                pben
                              • mchristoph.eckert@t-online.de
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 6, 2003
                                  Am Samstag, 6. Dezember 2003 22:44 schrieb pben2:

                                  Hi,

                                  > I don't have SUSE 9 but I have used SuSE 8.2 and I don't
                                  > think the stock kernel supported i8k, but I only had it on
                                  > my notebook for a couple of days.  If it doesn't support
                                  > i8k you will have to compile a custom kernel and configure
                                  > it to support the i8k module.

                                  SuSE has the support for Dell notebooks compiled in the
                                  default kernel. Simply install i8k-buttons, and they will
                                  work.

                                  Please note, that you have to do some manual work to use them
                                  for your main volume - this does not work out of the box.

                                  Gruß / regards

                                  ce

                                  ======

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 7, 2003

                                    Inspiron 8000 Multimedia buttons, that is.

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 7, 2003
                                      On Saturday 06 December 2003 03:47 pm, mchristoph.eckert@... wrote:
                                      > Am Samstag, 6. Dezember 2003 22:44 schrieb pben2:
                                      >
                                      > Hi,
                                      >
                                      > > I don't have SUSE 9 but I have used SuSE 8.2 and I don't
                                      > > think the stock kernel supported i8k, but I only had it on
                                      > > my notebook for a couple of days.  If it doesn't support
                                      > > i8k you will have to compile a custom kernel and configure
                                      > > it to support the i8k module.
                                      >
                                      > SuSE has the support for Dell notebooks compiled in the
                                      > default kernel. Simply install i8k-buttons, and they will
                                      > work.
                                      >
                                      > Please note, that you have to do some manual work to use them
                                      > for your main volume - this does not work out of the box.
                                      >

                                      > Gruß / regards

                                      How do you install i8k-buttons?
                                      Thanks

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Dec 7, 2003
                                        Am Montag, 8. Dezember 2003 02:02 schrieb Rocco Charamella:

                                        > How do you install i8k-buttons?
                                        > Thanks

                                        Phew,

                                        I do not remember, but I did it using google as a help and I
                                        got it to work.

                                        Download the source, unpack it, read the README and INSTALL
                                        files.

                                        After installing, i8k buttons should be connected to do
                                        something useful like adjusting main volume.

                                        Gruß / regards

                                        ce

                                        ======