IRDA on I8k under RH9

  • jimmckean47401
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 26, 2003
      I have tried to find this particular combination on the list. If I
      missed, sorry.
      I have an I8k that has been running happily with RH7.3 for many
      months. A crashed HD convinced me to install RH9. IRDA sync for my
      Palm no longer works. irdadump shows no activity.

      I have done the following:

      confirmed that it was attached to com2 in the BIOS
      confirmed that IRDA kernel support is on in the default configuration.
      checked that irda-utils are installed
      edited my /etc/modules.conf to include the following
      # infra red stuff
      # IrDA over a normal serial port, or a serial port compatible IrDA
      port
      alias tty-ldisc-11 irtty
      # IrCOMM (for printing, PPP, Minicom etc)
      alias char-major-161 ircomm-tty
      # IRLAN
      alias irlan0 irlan
      # To be able to attach some serial dongles
      # These values are hard-coded in irattach (not instance order)
      alias irda-dongle-0 tekram
      alias irda-dongle-1 esi
      alias irda-dongle-2 actisys
      alias irda-dongle-3 actisys
      alias irda-dongle-4 girbil
      alias irda-dongle-5 litelink
      alias irda-dongle-6 airport
      # To use the FIR driver. This applies only to the specific device!!!
      #options nsc-ircc dongle_id=0x09 # NSC driver on a IBM Thinkpad laptop
      #options nsc-ircc dongle_id=0x08 # HP Omnibook 6000
      #alias irda0 nsc-ircc
      #alias irda0 smc-ircc
      # IrNET module...
      alias char-major-10-187 irnet
      started the irda service with

      service irda start

      Can anyone suggest anything I am missing or point me to a good
      working configuration under RH9 with this machine?

      Thanks for any help.
    • Gabriel
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 27, 2003
        Hi Jim,

        I would also have a look at the /etc/sysconfig/irda file, mine reads:
        IRDA=yes
        DEVICE=/dev/ttyS3
        #DONGLE=actisys+
        DISCOVERY=yes

        Cheers,
        Gabriel.

        PS: I am on a 8200 running MDK 9.1!

        On Thursday 27 November 2003 01:23, jimmckean47401 wrote:
        > I have tried to find this particular combination on the list. If I
        > missed, sorry.
        > I have an I8k that has been running happily with RH7.3 for many
        > months. A crashed HD convinced me to install RH9. IRDA sync for my
        > Palm no longer works. irdadump shows no activity.
        >
        > I have done the following:
        >
        > confirmed that it was attached to com2 in the BIOS
        > confirmed that IRDA kernel support is on in the default configuration.
        > checked that irda-utils are installed
        > edited my /etc/modules.conf to include the following
        > # infra red stuff
        > # IrDA over a normal serial port, or a serial port compatible IrDA
        > port
        > alias tty-ldisc-11 irtty
        > # IrCOMM (for printing, PPP, Minicom etc)
        > alias char-major-161 ircomm-tty
        > # IRLAN
        > alias irlan0 irlan
        > # To be able to attach some serial dongles
        > # These values are hard-coded in irattach (not instance order)
        > alias irda-dongle-0 tekram
        > alias irda-dongle-1 esi
        > alias irda-dongle-2 actisys
        > alias irda-dongle-3 actisys
        > alias irda-dongle-4 girbil
        > alias irda-dongle-5 litelink
        > alias irda-dongle-6 airport
        > # To use the FIR driver. This applies only to the specific device!!!
        > #options nsc-ircc dongle_id=0x09 # NSC driver on a IBM Thinkpad laptop
        > #options nsc-ircc dongle_id=0x08 # HP Omnibook 6000
        > #alias irda0 nsc-ircc
        > #alias irda0 smc-ircc
        > # IrNET module...
        > alias char-major-10-187 irnet
        > started the irda service with
        >
        > service irda start
        >
        > Can anyone suggest anything I am missing or point me to a good
        > working configuration under RH9 with this machine?
        >
        > Thanks for any help.

      • jbyrne042
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 27, 2003
          Hey Jim

          I found this to be crucial in RH9.0 on I82k for talking to a nokia
          8210 mobile phone. Someting similar might help you!

          echo 115200 > /proc/sys/net/irda/max_baud_rate
        • jimmckean47401
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 30, 2003
            Belated thanks, Gabriel. But my file is the same except pointed to
            ttyS1, which agrees with the bios setting -- COM2.

            Jim

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Gabriel <ggali_66@s...>
            wrote:
            > Hi Jim,
            >
            > I would also have a look at the /etc/sysconfig/irda file, mine
            reads:
            > IRDA=yes
            > DEVICE=/dev/ttyS3
            > #DONGLE=actisys+
            > DISCOVERY=yes
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Gabriel.
            >
            > PS: I am on a 8200 running MDK 9.1!
            >
            > On Thursday 27 November 2003 01:23, jimmckean47401 wrote:
            > > I have tried to find this particular combination on the list. If
            > > missed, sorry.
            > > I have an I8k that has been running happily with RH7.3 for many
            > > months. A crashed HD convinced me to install RH9. IRDA sync for
            my
            > > Palm no longer works. irdadump shows no activity.
            > >
            > > I have done the following:
            > >
            > > confirmed that it was attached to com2 in the BIOS
            > > confirmed that IRDA kernel support is on in the default
            configuration.
            > > checked that irda-utils are installed
            > > edited my /etc/modules.conf to include the following
            > > # infra red stuff
            > > # IrDA over a normal serial port, or a serial port compatible IrDA
            > > port
            > > alias tty-ldisc-11 irtty
            > > # IrCOMM (for printing, PPP, Minicom etc)
            > > alias char-major-161 ircomm-tty
            > > # IRLAN
            > > alias irlan0 irlan
            > > # To be able to attach some serial dongles
            > > # These values are hard-coded in irattach (not instance order)
            > > alias irda-dongle-0 tekram
            > > alias irda-dongle-1 esi
            > > alias irda-dongle-2 actisys
            > > alias irda-dongle-3 actisys
            > > alias irda-dongle-4 girbil
            > > alias irda-dongle-5 litelink
            > > alias irda-dongle-6 airport
            > > # To use the FIR driver. This applies only to the specific device!
            !!
            > > #options nsc-ircc dongle_id=0x09 # NSC driver on a IBM Thinkpad
            laptop
            > > #options nsc-ircc dongle_id=0x08 # HP Omnibook 6000
            > > #alias irda0 nsc-ircc
            > > #alias irda0 smc-ircc
            > > # IrNET module...
            > > alias char-major-10-187 irnet
            > > started the irda service with
            > >
            > > service irda start
            > >
            > > Can anyone suggest anything I am missing or point me to a good
            > > working configuration under RH9 with this machine?
            > >
            > > Thanks for any help.

            com/info/terms/
          • jimmckean47401
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 30, 2003
              Hmmm - I don't HAVE an irda directory under /proc/sys/net. OK, that's
              clearly a hint.

              Jim

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "jbyrne042" <jbyrne042@y..

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 30, 2003

                --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "jimmckean47401" <jim@m...>
                wrote:

                > Hmmm - I don't HAVE an irda directory under /proc/sys/net. OK, that's
                > clearly a hint.
                >
                > Jim

                Try not to toppost (c;

                I should have pointed out that I have Redhat 9.0! Maybe this helps

              • Gabriel
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
                  Hi Jim,

                  Duno if you've fixed it ...

                  1) has your kernel module loaded (I doubt redhat build irda support hard into
                  kernel, its probably loaded) ? try:
                  lsmod | grep ir
                  mine gives:
                  irtty 7392 2 (autoclean)
                  irda 112112 1 (autoclean) [irtty]

                  2) also check if the irattach proc is running:
                  $ ps -ef | grep iratta
                  root 1121 1 0 10:41 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/irattach /dev/ttyS3
                  -s
                  gabriel 3437 2580 0 14:22 pts/1 00:00:00 grep iratta

                  3) finally check in your dmesg or /var/log/messages what you see in irda ...
                  errors ? that may also help.

                  Hope this helps,

                  Gabriel.

                • jimmckean47401
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 3, 2003
                    gabriel -

                    Thanks for your persistence. Actually, I have made some progress,
                    but
                    I am not sure how. (Late nights, what can I say?) It is possible
                    that my irda startup script had a problem. I was looking thru it and
                    thought I had accidently deleted a newline. Anyway, maybe it was
                    really missing and I put it back. Anyway, that it is only thing I
                    can
                    remember doing except excluding irq 5 for a sopund card problem . . .
                    . .

                    So now, it is working again, irdadump is working, anyway. Now I just
                    need to get gpilotd working every time.

                    thanks again and sorry I don't have better diag information for the
                    list.

                    wrote:
                    > Hi Jim,
                    >
                    > Duno if you've fixed it ...
                    >
                    > 1) has your kernel module loaded (I doubt redhat build irda support
                    hard into
                    > kernel, its probably loaded) ? try:
                    > lsmod | grep ir
                    > mine gives:
                    > irtty 7392 2 (autoclean)
                    > irda 112112 1 (autoclean) [irtty]
                    >
                    > 2) also check if the irattach proc is running:
                    > $ ps -ef | grep iratta
                    > root 1121 1 0 10:41 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/irattach
                    /dev/ttyS3
                    > -s
                    > gabriel 3437 2580 0 14:22 pts/1 00:00:00 grep iratta
                    >
                    > 3) finally check in your dmesg or /var/log/messages what you see in
                    irda ...
                    > errors ? that may also help.
                    >
                    > Hope this helps,
                    >
                    > Gabriel.
                    >
                    > On Monday 01 December 2003 01:00, jimmckean47401 wrote:
                    > > Belated thanks, Gabriel. But my file is the same except pointed to
                    > > ttyS1, which agrees with the bios setting -- COM2.
                    > >
                    > > Jim
                    > >
                    > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Gabriel <ggali_66@s...>
                    > >
                    > > wrote:
                    > > > Hi Jim,
                    > > >
                    > > > I would also have a look at the /etc/sysconfig/irda file, mine
                    > >
                    > > reads:
                    > > > IRDA=yes
                    > > > DEVICE=/dev/ttyS3
                    > > > #DONGLE=actisys+