inspiron 5100, how to switch from display to external monitor

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 2003
      I have RedHat 8.0 installed on my inspiron 5100. When I boot into
      Linux both the laptop display and my external monitor (a cornerstone
      p1600) activate, displaying the screen on both.

      Problem is, I would like to be able to shut off my laptop display and
      have my monitor as my only display. I try hitting Fn+F8 to switch the
      output but nothing happens.

      Do I need to configure something special to get this functionality?
      Also, the entire screen is chopped off on the external monitor, not
      showing the entire screen. It's like the screen is 1280x1024, but my
      monitor is in 1024x768 mode and I can only see the middle of what's
      being displayed. I'm assuming that linux is only trying to output to
      the laptop display and isn't concerned with the external monitor.

      I've google searched for a couple hours trying to find a suggestion
      that works. Anyone got anything??

      Thanks a ton!