Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Digest Number 1555

  • mrasmodeus@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 2003
      Look through the gentoo message bases. If you're using any of the kernel sources from the past few months, there is a source file for your vesa frame buffer that you have to modify to increase your framebuffer size. That's what had me going in circles for a while. shoot me an email with your grub/lilo config and the output of your dmesg in a text file and I'll see if I can't spot the problem better.  If it is the source code modifying fix, if you can't find it, i'm sure I can dig it up out of their bases and send you the link. The positive side of modifying the source is you can use genkernel instead of compiling it manually.

      oh, and which kernel source are you using.
      Hope this helps.

      Message: 3
        Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 01:13:01 -0500
        From: Sam Michaels <sam@...>
      Subject: Bootsplash and framebuffer on i2600

      I have bootsplash and framebuffer working on my other Gentoo box, but
      not my i2600.

      It would reject any video modes over 256 colors so I have to send the
      following to the kernel:

      video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=0x305

      It doesn't display the picture.  I've done everything including creating
      custom bootsplash images and config files.  I see Tux when it switches
      to 1024x768 and then Tux goes away after a few seconds.

      From dmesg:

      vesafb: framebuffer at 0xe8000000, mapped to 0xc880a000, size 832k
      vesafb: mode is 1024x768x8, linelength=1024, pages=0
      vesafb: protected mode interface info at a4f3:1f5f
      vesafb: scrolling: redraw
      Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48
      fb0: VESA VGA frame buffer device

      I'm using the A04 BIOS.  Any insight would be appreciated.

      At the very least there's more text that fits on the screen in 1024x768
      mode :)

      Sam