nv driver on Dell i8100

  • commandrdata
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 9, 2003
      Is anyone using the nv driver on a i8100 successfully? Specifically in "1024x768"
      resolution. I can only get it to work with 1600x1200 which is the monitor's native
      resolution.

      1024x768 only uses a small portion of the center of the screen.

      I'm currently running the most current nVidia driver but I need power management.

      What about "vesa" driver. Any success?
    • Gary Peck
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 9, 2003
        On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 11:06:54PM -0000, commandrdata wrote:
        > Is anyone using the nv driver on a i8100 successfully? Specifically in
        > "1024x768" resolution. I can only get it to work with 1600x1200 which
        > is the monitor's native resolution.

        i've been using the nv driver on my i8100 in both 1400x1050 (my screen's
        native resolution) and 1024x768 with no problems.

        > 1024x768 only uses a small portion of the center of the screen.

        when running it in a lower-than-native resolution, try pressing Fn-F7.
        this will toggle between full-screen mode and pixel-for-pixel mode.

        > I'm currently running the most current nVidia driver but I need power
        > management.

        i used to run the nvidia driver and had constant problems suspending.
        since i switched to nv 6 months ago, my laptop suspends with no problems
        whatsoever. i don't have the 3D acceleration from the nvidia driver
        anymore, but i rarely use it on my laptop anyways.

        the only thing you have to do is make sure to switch to a text console
        before suspending (press Ctrl-Alt-F1 from x windows. you can switch back
        to your x sesssion when the laptop wakes up by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F7). if
        you're on redhat linux, set CHANGEVT="7" in /etc/sysconfig/apmd and you
        can suspend from x windows. the power management script will take care
        of switching to text mode and back.

        > What about "vesa" driver. Any success?

        i haven't tried it, but it should probably work. almost all modern video
        cards are vesa compatible. though you probably won't be able to suspend
        with the vesa driver.

        gary
      • commandrdata
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 10, 2003
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Gary Peck <gbpeck@s...> wrote:
          > On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 11:06:54PM -0000, commandrdata wrote:

          [...]

          > > 1024x768 only uses a small portion of the center of the screen.
          >
          > when running it in a lower-than-native resolution, try pressing Fn-F7.
          > this will toggle between full-screen mode and pixel-for-pixel mode.

          Right. But that appears to be my problem. Fn+F7 does not work for me with the nv
          driver.

          > the only thing you have to do is make sure to switch to a text console
          > before suspending (press Ctrl-Alt-F1 from x windows. you can switch back
          > to your x sesssion when the laptop wakes up by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F7). if
          > you're on redhat linux, set CHANGEVT="7" in /etc/sysconfig/apmd and you
          > can suspend from x windows. the power management script will take care
          > of switching to text mode and back.

          I'm running Debian Sid...........

          > > What about "vesa" driver. Any success?
          >
          > i haven't tried it, but it should probably work. almost all modern video
          > cards are vesa compatible. though you probably won't be able to suspend
          > with the vesa driver.

          No vesa then!
        • commandrdata
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 10, 2003
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Gary Peck <gbpeck@s...> wrote:

            > i've been using the nv driver on my i8100 in both 1400x1050 (my screen's
            > native resolution) and 1024x768 with no problems.

            Gary, could you post here or email me your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

            Thanks!
          • Gary Peck
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 10, 2003
              On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 09:02:59AM -0000, commandrdata wrote:
              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Gary Peck <gbpeck@s...>
              > wrote:
              > > On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 11:06:54PM -0000, commandrdata wrote:
              >
              > [...]
              >
              > > > 1024x768 only uses a small portion of the center of the screen.
              > >
              > > when running it in a lower-than-native resolution, try pressing
              > > Fn-F7. this will toggle between full-screen mode and
              > > pixel-for-pixel mode.
              >
              > Right. But that appears to be my problem. Fn+F7 does not work for me
              > with the nv driver.

              strange. it works for me with no problem. what version of x windows are
              you running? and are you using apm or acpi for your power management? if
              you want, send your XF86Config file and i can check it out. here's the
              relevant parts of my file (with x version 4.3.0):

              Section "Monitor"
              Identifier "Monitor0"
              VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
              ModelName "Dell 1400X Laptop Display Panel"
              DisplaySize 316 229 # real size is 316x229
              HorizSync 31.5 - 90.0
              VertRefresh 59.0 - 75.0
              Option "dpms"
              EndSection

              Section "Device"
              Identifier "Videocard0"
              Driver "nv"
              VendorName "Videocard vendor"
              BoardName "nVidia GeForce 2 Go"
              Option "FlatPanel" "on"
              EndSection

              Section "Screen"
              Identifier "Screen0"
              Device "Videocard0"
              Monitor "Monitor0"
              DefaultDepth 24
              SubSection "Display"
              Depth 24
              Modes "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
              EndSubSection
              EndSection

              > > the only thing you have to do is make sure to switch to a text console
              > > before suspending (press Ctrl-Alt-F1 from x windows. you can switch back
              > > to your x sesssion when the laptop wakes up by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F7). if
              > > you're on redhat linux, set CHANGEVT="7" in /etc/sysconfig/apmd and you
              > > can suspend from x windows. the power management script will take care
              > > of switching to text mode and back.
              >
              > I'm running Debian Sid...........

              debian might have a similar script. i only have it installed on my
              server, so i'm not using any power management. if not, you can still
              switch to a text console manually before suspending, or write a similar
              script yourself. basically, apmd runs at startup with the -P option to
              use a custom script. on receiving a suspend event, the script checks if
              x windows was running and executes "chvt 1" to switch to a text console.
              on resume, it execute "chvt 7" to switch back to the x screen. let me
              know if you'd like some help with the script and we can continue this
              off-list.

              gary

              p.s. just looked over debian's apmd package quickly. looks like the
              script you want is /etc/apm/apmd_proxy.
              /usr/share/doc/apmd/README.Debian should also be useful.
            • Sudhakar Govindavajhala
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 10, 2003
                i have an i8200. i guess itis quite similar to i8100. i use the vesa
                driver and it works great for 1600*1200 and 1024*768. no problems with
                suspend, after tweaking the suspend to turnoff pcmcia before suspend.

                sudhakar

                On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 20:53, Gary Peck wrote:
                > On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 11:06:54PM -0000, commandrdata wrote:
                > > Is anyone using the nv driver on a i8100 successfully? Specifically in
                > > "1024x768" resolution. I can only get it to work with 1600x1200 which
                > > is the monitor's native resolution.
                >
                > i've been using the nv driver on my i8100 in both 1400x1050 (my screen's
                > native resolution) and 1024x768 with no problems.
                >
                > > 1024x768 only uses a small portion of the center of the screen.
                >
                > when running it in a lower-than-native resolution, try pressing Fn-F7.
                > this will toggle between full-screen mode and pixel-for-pixel mode.
                >
                > > I'm currently running the most current nVidia driver but I need power
                > > management.
                >
                > i used to run the nvidia driver and had constant problems suspending.
                > since i switched to nv 6 months ago, my laptop suspends with no problems
                > whatsoever. i don't have the 3D acceleration from the nvidia driver
                > anymore, but i rarely use it on my laptop anyways.
                >
                > the only thing you have to do is make sure to switch to a text console
                > before suspending (press Ctrl-Alt-F1 from x windows. you can switch back
                > to your x sesssion when the laptop wakes up by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F7). if
                > you're on redhat linux, set CHANGEVT="7" in /etc/sysconfig/apmd and you
                > can suspend from x windows. the power management script will take care
                > of switching to text mode and back.
                >
                > > What about "vesa" driver. Any success?
                >
                > i haven't tried it, but it should probably work. almost all modern video
                > cards are vesa compatible. though you probably won't be able to suspend
                > with the vesa driver.
                >
                > gary

                Sudhakar Govindavajhala Department of Computer Science
                Graduate Student, Princeton University
                Ph : (c) +1 609 273 8407 (o) +1 609 258 1763
                +1 609 258 1798
                http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~sudhakar
              • jmklist
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 10, 2003
                  On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 23:06:54 -0000
                  "commandrdata" <commandrdata@...> wrote:

                  > Is anyone using the nv driver on a i8100 successfully? Specifically in "1024x768"
                  > resolution. I can only get it to work with 1600x1200 which is the monitor's native
                  > resolution.
                  >
                  > 1024x768 only uses a small portion of the center of the screen.
                  >
                  > I'm currently running the most current nVidia driver but I need power management.
                  >
                  > What about "vesa" driver. Any success?

                  I used nv driver in 1024x768 and 1600x1200 with no problem with Gnoppix Live CD (6.0 beta1)
                  I didn't try to suspend laptop!
                • commandrdata
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 10, 2003
                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Gary Peck <gbpeck@s...> wrote:

                    [...]

                    > Section "Monitor"
                    > Identifier "Monitor0"
                    > VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
                    > ModelName "Dell 1400X Laptop Display Panel"
                    > DisplaySize 316 229 # real size is 316x229
                    > HorizSync 31.5 - 90.0
                    > VertRefresh 59.0 - 75.0
                    > Option "dpms"
                    > EndSection

                    OK. I added DisplaySize 316 229 # real size is 316x229 to my "Monitor"
                    section.........

                    > Section "Device"
                    > Identifier "Videocard0"
                    > Driver "nv"
                    > VendorName "Videocard vendor"
                    > BoardName "nVidia GeForce 2 Go"
                    > Option "FlatPanel" "on"
                    > EndSection

                    ........ and added 'Option "FlatPanel" "on"' to my "Device" section......... Still no luck
                    with Fn+F7 - still get partial screen with nv driver.

                    > Section "Screen"
                    > Identifier "Screen0"
                    > Device "Videocard0"
                    > Monitor "Monitor0"
                    > DefaultDepth 24
                    > SubSection "Display"
                    > Depth 24
                    > Modes "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
                    > EndSubSection
                    > EndSection
                    >

                    > > > the only thing you have to do is make sure to switch to a text console
                    > > > before suspending (press Ctrl-Alt-F1 from x windows. you can switch back
                    > > > to your x sesssion when the laptop wakes up by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F7). if
                    > > > you're on redhat linux, set CHANGEVT="7" in /etc/sysconfig/apmd and you
                    > > > can suspend from x windows. the power management script will take care
                    > > > of switching to text mode and back.
                    > >
                    > > I'm running Debian Sid...........
                    >
                    > debian might have a similar script. i only have it installed on my
                    > server, so i'm not using any power management. if not, you can still
                    > switch to a text console manually before suspending, or write a similar
                    > script yourself. basically, apmd runs at startup with the -P option to
                    > use a custom script. on receiving a suspend event, the script checks if
                    > x windows was running and executes "chvt 1" to switch to a text console.
                    > on resume, it execute "chvt 7" to switch back to the x screen. let me
                    > know if you'd like some help with the script and we can continue this
                    > off-list.
                    >
                    > gary
                    >
                    > p.s. just looked over debian's apmd package quickly. looks like the
                    > script you want is /etc/apm/apmd_proxy.
                    > /usr/share/doc/apmd/README.Debian should also be useful.

                    Thanks, I'll read that. I think what I need to do is write scripts so that 'apm -s'
                    changes to vt1, kills the nvidia driver and starts it back up on resume and changes
                    back to vt7 on resume.

                    I'll probably need some help with that ;^)! I won't be doing much in the next few days
                    since I'm on vacation - doing a little pheasant hunting here in Iowa - but I'll post back
                    when I run into trouble!