Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Mandrake 9.2 or SuSE 9.0

  • Rob Blomquist
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 9, 2003
      On Sunday 09 November 2003 6:45 am, Edward_Sara wrote:
      > Hey all,
      >
      > Now that I am getting a little more comfortable in the linux
      > environment (read: I only use Windows for Money and games that WineX
      > doesn't support yet), I was thinking of upgrading to one of the
      > newer distros. I'm currently using mdk 9.1, but was wondering what
      > impressions people had about SuSE 9.0 and mdk 9.2. I've read about
      > some of the issues with both, but am curious about user impression.

      I used SuSE 8.0, and thought it was a nightmare. I now use Mandrake, and think
      that it is a gift for the non-professional Linux user.

      SuSE had (I can't say if they kept it this way) created special SuSE config
      files that were stored in /sbin, and rewrote the standard Linux config files
      in /etc at boot.

      I was used to hand editing some of my configs, and I kept having them rewrote.
      I realized that I needed to figure out the SuSE config scripts, and I bailed.

      I have been using Mandrake for about a year now, and I really like it expect
      for their product testing. They seem to have many unrecognized bugs that need
      fixing. But drakconf and urpmi both rock, and I don't know what I would do
      without them.

      Rob

      --

      Mountlake Terrace, Washington