Spinning Drive in mdk 9.1

  • Edward_Sara
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 9, 2003
      Has anyone ever experienced an issue where, when idle, the system
      seems to write a small amount of data to the hard drive a couple of
      times per minute. It only writes for 1-2 seconds, stops and begins
      again anywhere from 15-30 seconds later.

      Thanks,

      Ed
    • Rob Blomquist
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 9, 2003
        On Sunday 09 November 2003 6:51 am, Edward_Sara wrote:
        > Has anyone ever experienced an issue where, when idle, the system
        > seems to write a small amount of data to the hard drive a couple of
        > times per minute. It only writes for 1-2 seconds, stops and begins
        > again anywhere from 15-30 seconds later.

        I haven't had this, but my bet would be that the machine is swapping out
        files.

        How much RAM do you have? You can also see swap space usage dynamically with
        the command "top" at the command prompt:

        Here's a snapshot of mine:
        top - 09:54:31 up 3 days, 10:45, 1 user, load average: 1.06, 1.15, 1.21
        Tasks: 77 total, 4 running, 73 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
        Cpu(s): 1.7% user, 1.3% system, 97.0% nice, 0.0% idle
        Mem: 515104k total, 510248k used, 4856k free, 41256k buffers
        Swap: 305192k total, 0k used, 305192k free, 195904k cached

        Rob
        --

        Linux: For the people, by the people.
      • Edward_Sara
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 10, 2003
          I doubt it is a memory issue. I have 1GB of RAM and a 2GB swap
          partition. I'll get back to you with the results of top,
          unfortunately I'm in Windows this morning. My wife left my computer
          asleep in Windows.

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Rob Blomquist
          <rob.blomquist@v...> wrote:
          > On Sunday 09 November 2003 6:51 am, Edward_Sara wrote:
          > > Has anyone ever experienced an issue where, when idle, the system
          > > seems to write a small amount of data to the hard drive a couple
          of
          > > times per minute. It only writes for 1-2 seconds, stops and
          begins
          > > again anywhere from 15-30 seconds later.
          >
          > I haven't had this, but my bet would be that the machine is
          swapping out
          > files.
          >
          > How much RAM do you have? You can also see swap space usage
          dynamically with
          > the command "top" at the command prompt:
          >
          > Here's a snapshot of mine:
          > top - 09:54:31 up 3 days, 10:45, 1 user, load average: 1.06,
          1.15, 1.21
          > Tasks: 77 total, 4 running, 73 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0
          zombie
          > Cpu(s): 1.7% user, 1.3% system, 97.0% nice, 0.0% idle
          > Mem: 515104k total, 510248k used, 4856k free, 41256k
          buffers
          > Swap: 305192k total, 0k used, 305192k free, 195904k
          cached

          > Rob
          > --
          >
          > Linux: For the people, by the people.
        • Jon Daley
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 10, 2003
            When netscape is running, it likes to check the bookmarks file,
            (and perhaps other stuff) while it is idle. I have checked in the latest
            version, I just always close it down whenever I am not using it.

            On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Edward_Sara wrote:

            > Has anyone ever experienced an issue where, when idle, the system
            > seems to write a small amount of data to the hard drive a couple of
            > times per minute. It only writes for 1-2 seconds, stops and begins
            > again anywhere from 15-30 seconds later.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Ed

            * Jonathan M. Daley * Advice is what we ask for *
            * * when we already know the *
            * jondaley@... * answer but wish we didn't. *
            * * -- Erica Jong *
            * www.snurgle.org/~jondaley * *