Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Dual boot on dell 500m (Mandrake 9.2/WinXP Pro)

  • Peter Hayes
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2003
      On Wednesday 05 November 2003 05:25, prima6 wrote:
      > Hi I've just purchased an Inspiron 500m. It came with WinXP Home
      > which I removed and did a clean install of Win XP Pro.
      >
      > Hard disk size 60GB.
      > I plan to use BootIt NG to partition and set up the boot partitions
      > for the dual boot.
      >
      > Is there any one who has done a similar setup before and who has
      > documented the procedure? I've never messed with linux before,
      > although i am familiar with unix.
      >
      > I plan to partition as follows:
      > Memory : 256MB (single slot, to upgrade to 768MB)
      > Disk space: 60GB HDD
      > Available : 55.8 GB
      > Free space : 52.0 GB (after WinXP Pro installed)
      >
      > Partition allocations:
      > Windows XP Pro : 25 GB (NTFS)
      > Linux : 15 GB (EXT2)
      > Swap : ~1 GB (it's a bit much I know, prolly 768MB)
      > File Share: 15 GB (FAT32)
      >
      > Does that look ok? Anything else I should watch out for or plan
      > before the partition/install?

      Make /home a separate partition so if you upgrade your Linux installation
      sometime in the future you can keep your personal stuff intact.

      Peter
    • John Britton
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 5, 2003
        > > Partition allocations:
        > > Windows XP Pro : 25 GB (NTFS)
        > > Linux : 15 GB (EXT2)
        > > Swap : ~1 GB (it's a bit much I know, prolly 768MB)
        > > File Share: 15 GB (FAT32)
        > >
        > > Does that look ok? Anything else I should watch out for or plan
        > > before the partition/install?

        I'd suggest you use a journalling filesystem rather than ext2. Whatever
        distribution you install should have several, e.g. ext3, reiserfs, xfs.
        A journalling filesystem will slightly deteriorate your laptop's
        performannce, but the benefits outweigh this in my opinion.

        Regards, John.

        --
        John Britton
        Centre for Bioengineering,