Dual boot on dell 500m (Mandrake 9.2/WinXP Pro)

  • prima6
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2003
      Hi I've just purchased an Inspiron 500m. It came with WinXP Home
      which I removed and did a clean install of Win XP Pro.

      Hard disk size 60GB.
      I plan to use BootIt NG to partition and set up the boot partitions
      for the dual boot.

      Is there any one who has done a similar setup before and who has
      documented the procedure? I've never messed with linux before,
      although i am familiar with unix.

      I plan to partition as follows:
      Memory : 256MB (single slot, to upgrade to 768MB)
      Disk space: 60GB HDD
      Available : 55.8 GB
      Free space : 52.0 GB (after WinXP Pro installed)

      Partition allocations:
      Windows XP Pro : 25 GB (NTFS)
      Linux : 15 GB (EXT2)
      Swap : ~1 GB (it's a bit much I know, prolly 768MB)
      File Share: 15 GB (FAT32)

      Does that look ok? Anything else I should watch out for or plan
      before the partition/install?
    • Peter Hayes
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 5, 2003
        On Wednesday 05 November 2003 05:25, prima6 wrote:
        > Hi I've just purchased an Inspiron 500m. It came with WinXP Home
        > which I removed and did a clean install of Win XP Pro.
        >
        > Hard disk size 60GB.
        > I plan to use BootIt NG to partition and set up the boot partitions
        > for the dual boot.
        >
        > Is there any one who has done a similar setup before and who has
        > documented the procedure? I've never messed with linux before,
        > although i am familiar with unix.
        >
        > I plan to partition as follows:
        > Memory : 256MB (single slot, to upgrade to 768MB)
        > Disk space: 60GB HDD
        > Available : 55.8 GB
        > Free space : 52.0 GB (after WinXP Pro installed)
        >
        > Partition allocations:
        > Windows XP Pro : 25 GB (NTFS)
        > Linux : 15 GB (EXT2)
        > Swap : ~1 GB (it's a bit much I know, prolly 768MB)
        > File Share: 15 GB (FAT32)
        >
        > Does that look ok? Anything else I should watch out for or plan
        > before the partition/install?

        Make /home a separate partition so if you upgrade your Linux installation
        sometime in the future you can keep your personal stuff intact.

        Peter
      • John Britton
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 5, 2003
          > > Partition allocations:
          > > Windows XP Pro : 25 GB (NTFS)
          > > Linux : 15 GB (EXT2)
          > > Swap : ~1 GB (it's a bit much I know, prolly 768MB)
          > > File Share: 15 GB (FAT32)
          > >
          > > Does that look ok? Anything else I should watch out for or plan
          > > before the partition/install?

          I'd suggest you use a journalling filesystem rather than ext2. Whatever
          distribution you install should have several, e.g. ext3, reiserfs, xfs.
          A journalling filesystem will slightly deteriorate your laptop's
          performannce, but the benefits outweigh this in my opinion.

          Regards, John.

          --
          John Britton
          Centre for Bioengineering,