General Questions

  • Simeon Bateman
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2003
      Hey Gang,

      I have been trying to decide what distro to put on my laptop. I jsut
      installed rh9.2 last night.

      I would like to use the acpi stuff but I am pretty sure it installed
      the apmd instead. Does anybody have a link to a howto on replacing
      apmd with acpi?

      Also currently about 50% of the time when my laptop comes out of
      sleep, the fans go nuts blowing as fast as they can and I dont know
      how to make them normal again. is this somethign that might be
      resolved by getting acpi on there?

      Thanks for any info. OH, its and inspiron 8100 with the nvidea
      geforce2 go if anybody cares.

      Thanks,
      sim
    • Kevin
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2003
        > Also currently about 50% of the time when my laptop comes out of
        > sleep, the fans go nuts blowing as fast as they can and I dont know
        > how to make them normal again. is this somethign that might be
        > resolved by getting acpi on there?

        Pressing Fn-z should reset the fans.

        Kevin
      • Simeon Bateman
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 5, 2003
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Simeon Bateman"
          > I would like to use the acpi stuff but I am pretty sure it installed
          > the apmd instead. Does anybody have a link to a howto on replacing
          > apmd with acpi?

          Found this and everything went pretty well as far as I can tell.
          Check it out, and let me know how this compares to how others have
          done it.

          http://justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?s=d899afbd5aa124a64cad828c39e1078b&threadid=115804&highlight=acpi