Re: Not only is Linux on my laptop, but it's a web server as well!

  • mwb53tx
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Paul V. Gratz"
      <pgratz@g...> wrote:
      > On the other hand if you think about it, its basically a battery backed
      > up server that does not take much power. I had been thinking about using
      > my old laptop for that kind of stuff after I bought my 8500 but ended up
      > giving it away to a relative instead...
      > Paul

      Yes, that's the point. If the power goes out, the laptop stays on
      because it's got a battery. Regarding the comment that it was a
      "stupid idea" to use a laptop as a server, well I use my laptop as a
      desktop computer. It IS plugged in all the time. I used to travel with
      it, but now days I don't travel as much and so the laptop stays
      connected. It's been successfully acting as a webserver now for about
      2 weeks.
    • mwb53tx
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
        > Having a laptop as a webserver is kind of stupid, first of all it is
        somewhat
        > (not really) bad to have it on all the time, and secondly it is not
        a laptop
        > anymore if it has to stay there. get a cheap P150 and use it as a
        > router/webserver/fileserver.

        I don't agree that it's "kind of stupid"... and yes, you're right,
        it's not a laptop anymore and it hasn't been "really a laptop" for
        sometime. It's a desktop replacement, and sits --- on a desk, with an
        external mouse and keyboard attached. Sure, I used to travel all over
        the world with this machine, but now it's at home all the time, and
        hooked to the Internet. Now it's also a server:
        http://radiostories.dynu.com

        -Wayne