Re: [linux-dell-laptops] suauth question

  • Jon Daley
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 3, 2003
      As scary as this is, I think you want an entry in /etc/sudoers,
      something like this:
      gus <machinename>=NOPASSWD: /bin/tcsh

      And then you run `sudo -u root tcsh` and tada, you have a root prompt.

      And if you don't like typing that long command, you might alias your su to
      something like this.

      alias su 'if("\!$" == "su") then \
      \sudo -u root tcsh \
      else \
      \su \!$ \
      endif'

      PS. This seems like really bad idea. At least you could make a one letter
      password or something. It doesn't take that long to type.

      On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:

      > Please clarify about sudo... as far as I'm familiar
      > with it (and I'm not too terribly so) it only lets you
      > run a command as another user. This isn't my aim; I
      > want to be able to su into a root-user shell without
      > password authentication.
      >
      > --- Munagala Ramanath <amberarrow@...> wrote:
      > > Have you tried 'sudo' ?
      > >
      > > --- "W.K. Vladmir Ward" <web_raptor.geo@...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > Quick question, and hopefully someone can answer
      > > me
      > > > just as quickly...
      > > >
      > > > Recently I've looked into adding free su
      > > privelages to
      > > > my user account on my laptop (as I'm the only one
      > > > using it at any given time, especially on the
      > > linux
      > > > side, I see no harm in doing so). Following
      > > directions
      > > > from 'man 5 suauth' I created the /etc/suauth file
      > > > with a single line:
      > > >
      > > > root:gus:NOPASS
      > > >
      > > > as 'gus' is my username (yep, I'm a hick ;).
      > > Problem
      > > > is, su doesn't seem to care one bit about this
      > > file,
      > > > as whenever I try to su it still asks me for a
      > > root
      > > > password (which as I understand it shoudln't do to
      > > > begin with), and leaving the password prompt blank
      > > > results in a login failure.
      > > >
      > > > The file's access mask is 440 (-r--r-----) which I
      > > > figure should be sufficient for being read by
      > > su...
      > > > even with mode 777 it doesn't work, however.
      > > >
      > > > Should you need the info, I'm on a very modified
      > > > Slackware 8.1 (lots of stuff added... I'm thinking
      > > of
      > > > upgrading, but I've got so much stuff installed on
      > > > here I don't know if I want to... but clean new
      > > > systems sure are nice).
      > > >
      > > > =====
      > > > Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong,
      > > you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a
      > > > makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's
      > > on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh
      > > > well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

      > > Exclusive Video Premiere - Britney Spears
      > > http://launch.yahoo.com/promos/britneyspears/
      > >

      > =====
      > Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

      * Jonathan M. Daley * Feeling like a one legged man *
      * * at a butt kicking contest is *
      * jondaley@... * not a fun place to be. *
      * * -- Pam Martin, original *
      * www.snurgle.org/~jondaley * source unknown *
    • W.K. Vladmir Ward
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 5, 2003
        I could give that a try. I'd prefer not changing my
        root password as it stands, however... I'd still like
        to be able to use the suauth file. Maybe I just need
        to update the su program, or something. Thoughts/ideas
        on that?

        =====
        Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
      • Jon Daley
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 5, 2003
          Oh, I think I mis-spoke. I thought you said you wanted to change
          your root password to be empty. My way doesn't require any password
          changes, and provides a password-less root login from your user and
          machine. I suggested the alias, just to make it shorter to type, and then
          you can just type 'su' and it will "magically" sudo for you without a
          password.

          On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:

          > I could give that a try. I'd prefer not changing my
          > root password as it stands, however... I'd still like
          > to be able to use the suauth file. Maybe I just need
          > to update the su program, or something. Thoughts/ideas
          > on that?
          >
          > --- Jon Daley <jondaley@...> wrote:
          > > As scary as this is, I think you want an entry in
          > > /etc/sudoers,
          > > something like this:
          > > gus <machinename>=NOPASSWD: /bin/tcsh
          > >
          > > And then you run `sudo -u root tcsh` and tada, you
          > > have a root prompt.
          > >
          > > And if you don't like typing that long command, you
          > > might alias your su to
          > > something like this.
          > >
          > > alias su 'if("\!$" == "su") then \
          > > \sudo -u root tcsh \
          > > else \
          > > \su \!$ \
          > > endif'
          > >
          > > PS. This seems like really bad idea. At least you
          > > could make a one letter
          > > password or something. It doesn't take that long to
          > > type.
          > >

          > > On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:
          > >
          > > > Please clarify about sudo... as far as I'm
          > > familiar
          > > > with it (and I'm not too terribly so) it only lets
          > > you
          > > > run a command as another user. This isn't my aim;
          > > > want to be able to su into a root-user shell
          > > without
          > > > password authentication.
          > > >
          > > > --- Munagala Ramanath <amberarrow@...>

          > > <web_raptor.geo@...>
          > > answer

          > > one
          > > file

          > > do to
          > > blank

          > > which I

          > > modified
          > > thinking
          > > installed on
          > > new

          > > it's

          > > > =====
          > > > Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong,
          > > you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a
          > > makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's
          > > on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan
          > > and Hell" - Black Sabbath

          > > > Exclusive Video Premiere - Britney Spears
          > > > http://launch.yahoo.com/promos/britneyspears/

          > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          > > * Jonathan M. Daley * Feeling like a one
          > > legged man *
          > > * * at a butt kicking
          > > contest is *
          > > * jondaley@... * not a fun place to
          > > be. *
          > > * * -- Pam Martin,
          > > original *
          > > * www.snurgle.org/~jondaley * source
          > > unknown *

          > =====
          > Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

          * Jonathan M. Daley * An ego trip is something that *
          * jondaley@... * never gets you anywhere. *
          * www.snurgle.org/~jondaley * -- Suzan Wiener *
        • W.K. Vladmir Ward
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 7, 2003
            Ahhh, okay, that clears up a bit of confusion :)

            I'll give that a shot, though I'm still a bit irked
            why suauth doesn't work. I'm currently making a friend
            of mine figure it out for me... it's only fair since I
            showed him how to implement NAT through his machine.
            :P I'll post my results (if any) here when I'm through
            with the problem.

            --- Jon Daley <jondaley@...> wrote:
> [...]
            > > > file

            > ;).
            > this
            > for a
            > shoudln't
            > > > do to
            > prompt
            > > > blank

            > > > which I
            > by
            > however.

            > > > modified
            > > > thinking
            > > > installed on
            > clean
            > > > new

            > wrong,
            > takerSo
            > > > it's

            > > > you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a
            > > > makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo
            > it's
            > > > on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh

            === message truncated ===

            =====

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 7, 2003
              Hmm.. I did the alias command exactly as you
              specified, but then when I type "su" I'm left at a >
              prompt waiting for an input. This doesn't seem like
              the desired behavior.

              --- Jon Daley <jondaley@...> wrote:
> [...]
              > > > file

              > ;).
              > this
              > for a
              > shoudln't
              > > > do to
              > prompt
              > > > blank

              > > > which I
              > by
              > however.

              > > > modified
              > > > thinking
              > > > installed on
              > clean
              > > > new

              > wrong,
              > takerSo
              > > > it's

              > > > you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a
              > > > makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo
              > it's
              > > > on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh

              === message truncated ===

              =====

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 7, 2003
                If you type "whoami" what do you get? What shell do you normally
                use? Perhaps you want something besides tcsh?

                Also, if you are not using tcsh, the alias command will be
                different.
                If you skip the alias for now, does the sudo command do want you
                want?

                On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:

                > Hmm.. I did the alias command exactly as you
                > specified, but then when I type "su" I'm left at a >
                > prompt waiting for an input. This doesn't seem like
                > the desired behavior.
                >

                > --- Jon Daley <jondaley@...> wrote:
                > > Oh, I think I mis-spoke. I thought you said you
                > > wanted to change
                > > your root password to be empty. My way doesn't
                > > require any password
                > > changes, and provides a password-less root login
                > > from your user and
                > > machine. I suggested the alias, just to make it
                > > shorter to type, and then
                > > you can just type 'su' and it will "magically" sudo
                > > for you without a
                > > password.
                > >
                > > On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:
                > >
                > > > I could give that a try. I'd prefer not changing
                > > my
                > > > root password as it stands, however... I'd still
                > > like
                > > > to be able to use the suauth file. Maybe I just
                > > need
                > > > to update the su program, or something.
                > > Thoughts/ideas
                > > > on that?

                > > in

                > > you

                > > you

                > > you
                > > long to

                > > lets
                > > aim;

                > > only
                > > the
                > > Following
                > > /etc/suauth

                > > ;).
                > > this
                > > for a
                > > shoudln't
                > > prompt

                > > by
                > > however.

                > > clean

                > > wrong,
                > > takerSo

                > > http://launch.yahoo.com/promos/britneyspears/

                > > http://launch.yahoo.com/promos/britneyspears/

                > > it's
                > > well"Heavan

                > > one
                > > place
                > === message truncated ===
                >

                > =====
                > Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

                * Jonathan M. Daley * The only real failure in life *
                * jondaley@... * is one not learned from. *
                * www.snurgle.org/~jondaley * -- Anthony D'Angelo *
              • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 7, 2003
                  Ach so. I use bash. If I "sudo -u root /bin/bash
                  --login" from my account it works perfectly fine. I
                  suppose I just need to change the syntax of the alias
                  command... not sure how to do that 'if' in there

                  For now I can just alias su as sudo -u root /bin/bash
                  --login as I extremely rarely su any other accounts.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 7, 2003
                    Greetings all

                    A couple of issues have recently been bothering me,
                    one of which is the process of compiling on a machine
                    for a different architechture and/or kernel version.
                    I'd like to compile (using my i8200) the lirc modules
                    for use in my Sharp Zaurus 5600 -- modules for the
                    5000 and 5500 are available, but do not work on my
                    5600.

                    I figured I would compile them myself, BUT I have no
                    idea how to specify the X-Scale CPU as the target
                    arch, nor how to (if I even can, or if it matters)
                    specify the kernel version for which it will be
                    compiled. If someone could give me a couple of
                    pointers, or show me to a good howto, or something,
                    I'd be quite grateful.

                    Thanks in advance

                    =====
                    Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

                    http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                  • Joe Winegarden
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 9, 2003
                      I have no idea about your particular platform, but I've done something
                      similar by creating a cross compiler for the PS2 Linux kit. What you need
                      to do is build gcc and binutils with --target=xscale-elf using the headers
                      and lib files from the xscale linux install (which I believe you can find
                      on openzaurus.org). Once you have those 2 packages built, then link to
                      them in your makefile as opposed to the system-default (i.e. something
                      like CCC=/usr/local/xscale/bin/gcc instead of just CCC=gcc). If you do a
                      google for "cross compiler xscale", there are several mailing list
                      postings where people have tried to do just this (and fixes for the
                      problems they encountered).

                      HTH
                      -Joe