Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Mandrake 9.2 frying L.G's CDROMs

  • Alexandre Tessier
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
      I have already sent this link:
      http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/lgerrata.php3
      where you will find all you need.

      To know you cdrom model, several commands:
      cat /proc/ide/hdb/model
      hdparm -i /dev/hdb
      dmesg|grep hdb
      (or hdc, hdd...)

      Alex.

      Vivek Chaudhary wrote:
      > I read on slashdot that Mandrake 9.2 will permanently damage some of
      > the CDROMs from L.G.
      >
      > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/errata.php3
      >
      > Unfortunately Dell uses these CDROMs. I have
      > recently purchased inspiron 8500 with a CD-RW/DVD-burner. I am scared
      > of installing mandrake 9.2. Will it damage the CD-RW/DVD-burner? Has
      > anyone here tried installing mandrake 9.2 on inspiron 8500?
      >
      > Thanks in advance

      http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
      tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
    • Vivek Chaudhary
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
        Never mind. Mandrake will be making the public release of 9.2 ISOs
        this week, and these ISOs will have the kernel patched. So there
        should not be any more problems with the LG CDROMs.

        Although I am kind of disappointed with mandrake. They blew it up in
        this release. I pity the poor club-members who were reduced to
        beta-testers for this release.

        Vivek

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Tessier

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        > --
        > http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
        > tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
      • Paul V. Gratz
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
          Not that I use mandrake (Im a Gentoo user) but I really don't think they
          deserve the blame on this one. The LG CDROM drives really are broken.
          They were not designed to spec so Mandrake should not be responsible
          IMHO. What I understand is that the LG cdroms use a documented ATAPI
          instruction to clear the cdrom's cache (which should always be
          non-destructive to execute) as a "overwrite firmware" command.
          Basically it means they are not ATAPI compliant.
          Paul

          On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 13:42, Vivek Chaudhary wrote:
          > Never mind. Mandrake will be making the public release of 9.2 ISOs
          > this week, and these ISOs will have the kernel patched. So there
          > should not be any more problems with the LG CDROMs.
          >
          > Although I am kind of disappointed with mandrake. They blew it up in
          > this release. I pity the poor club-members who were reduced to
          > beta-testers for this release.
          >
          > Vivek
          >
          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Tessier
          > <Alexandre.Tessier@l...> wrote:
          > > I have already sent this link:
          > > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/lgerrata.php3
          > > where you will find all you need.
          > >
          > > To know you cdrom model, several commands:
          > > cat /proc/ide/hdb/model
          > > hdparm -i /dev/hdb
          > > dmesg|grep hdb
          > > (or hdc, hdd...)
          > >
          > > Alex.
          > >
          > > Vivek Chaudhary wrote:
          > > > I read on slashdot that Mandrake 9.2 will permanently damage some of
          > > > the CDROMs from L.G.
          > > >
          > > > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/errata.php3
          > > >
          > > > Unfortunately Dell uses these CDROMs. I have
          > > > recently purchased inspiron 8500 with a CD-RW/DVD-burner. I am scared
          > > > of installing mandrake 9.2. Will it damage the CD-RW/DVD-burner? Has
          > > > anyone here tried installing mandrake 9.2 on inspiron 8500?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks in advance

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          > > >

          > > --
          > > http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
          > > tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417

        • Jay
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 9, 2003
            Here is what I found on Mandrake's site today.

            Update Nov 3rd, 2003: due to the LG issue the public release of
            Mandrake 9.2 ISOs has been delayed for a few days.

            Still not available as of 11/9

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Vivek Chaudhary"
            <vivek7006@m...> wrote:
            > I read on slashdot that Mandrake 9.2 will permanently damage some of
            > the CDROMs from L.G.
            >
            > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/errata.php3
            >
            > Unfortunately Dell uses these CDROMs. I have
            > recently purchased inspiron 8500 with a CD-RW/DVD-burner. I am scared
            > of installing mandrake 9.2. Will it damage the CD-RW/DVD-burner? Has
            > anyone here tried installing mandrake 9.2 on inspiron 8500?
            >
            > Thanks in advance
          • Prema
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 9, 2003
              I don't think the damage is permanent. Check out the
              mandrake-linux site for details on repair - i'm sure i
              saw it the other day.

              I have a 500m inspiron - and it's not of LG make.
              If you still have XP when it came preinstalled in your
              machine, you can download a simple tool made by Nero
              to check your CD-RW/DVD drive brand. The tool is
              available for download at the mandrake linux site.

              http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree