Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Mandrake 9.2 frying L.G's CDROMs

  • Damien Solley
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 2, 2003

      > Hi Sam
      > No, the ISOs don't seem to be available at the usual sites. I
      > downloaded
      > mine from a local Australian mirror. I don't think they are
      > official...
      > For the SuSE mini-ISO, look in the boot directory of their
      > download
      > link. The file is:
      > ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/current/boot/boot.iso
      > Damien
      >
      > Well that link takes you to the 8.2 folder. It is possible to
      > install vers 9 with that disk ?
      >
      > Thanks again.
      >
      > Sam.

      Hmmm. I thought that 'current' meant 9.0, but as the README shows, it is
      indeed 8.2. So we're waiting on SuSE to declare 9.0 current and replace
      the tree on the ftp server.
      Sorry I can't help you any further.
      Damien
      --

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Using Linux on the Inspiron 1100:
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
        I have already sent this link:
        http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/lgerrata.php3
        where you will find all you need.

        To know you cdrom model, several commands:
        cat /proc/ide/hdb/model
        hdparm -i /dev/hdb
        dmesg|grep hdb
        (or hdc, hdd...)

        Alex.

        Vivek Chaudhary wrote:
        > I read on slashdot that Mandrake 9.2 will permanently damage some of
        > the CDROMs from L.G.
        >
        > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/errata.php3
        >
        > Unfortunately Dell uses these CDROMs. I have
        > recently purchased inspiron 8500 with a CD-RW/DVD-burner. I am scared
        > of installing mandrake 9.2. Will it damage the CD-RW/DVD-burner? Has
        > anyone here tried installing mandrake 9.2 on inspiron 8500?
        >
        > Thanks in advance

        http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
        tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
      • Vivek Chaudhary
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
          Never mind. Mandrake will be making the public release of 9.2 ISOs
          this week, and these ISOs will have the kernel patched. So there
          should not be any more problems with the LG CDROMs.

          Although I am kind of disappointed with mandrake. They blew it up in
          this release. I pity the poor club-members who were reduced to
          beta-testers for this release.

          Vivek

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Tessier

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          > --
          > http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
          > tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
        • Paul V. Gratz
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
            Not that I use mandrake (Im a Gentoo user) but I really don't think they
            deserve the blame on this one. The LG CDROM drives really are broken.
            They were not designed to spec so Mandrake should not be responsible
            IMHO. What I understand is that the LG cdroms use a documented ATAPI
            instruction to clear the cdrom's cache (which should always be
            non-destructive to execute) as a "overwrite firmware" command.
            Basically it means they are not ATAPI compliant.
            Paul

            On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 13:42, Vivek Chaudhary wrote:
            > Never mind. Mandrake will be making the public release of 9.2 ISOs
            > this week, and these ISOs will have the kernel patched. So there
            > should not be any more problems with the LG CDROMs.
            >
            > Although I am kind of disappointed with mandrake. They blew it up in
            > this release. I pity the poor club-members who were reduced to
            > beta-testers for this release.
            >
            > Vivek
            >
            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Tessier
            > <Alexandre.Tessier@l...> wrote:
            > > I have already sent this link:
            > > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/lgerrata.php3
            > > where you will find all you need.
            > >
            > > To know you cdrom model, several commands:
            > > cat /proc/ide/hdb/model
            > > hdparm -i /dev/hdb
            > > dmesg|grep hdb
            > > (or hdc, hdd...)
            > >
            > > Alex.
            > >
            > > Vivek Chaudhary wrote:
            > > > I read on slashdot that Mandrake 9.2 will permanently damage some of
            > > > the CDROMs from L.G.
            > > >
            > > > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/errata.php3
            > > >
            > > > Unfortunately Dell uses these CDROMs. I have
            > > > recently purchased inspiron 8500 with a CD-RW/DVD-burner. I am scared
            > > > of installing mandrake 9.2. Will it damage the CD-RW/DVD-burner? Has
            > > > anyone here tried installing mandrake 9.2 on inspiron 8500?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks in advance

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            > > >

            > > --
            > > http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
            > > tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417

          • Jay
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 9, 2003
              Here is what I found on Mandrake's site today.

              Update Nov 3rd, 2003: due to the LG issue the public release of
              Mandrake 9.2 ISOs has been delayed for a few days.

              Still not available as of 11/9

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Vivek Chaudhary"
              <vivek7006@m...> wrote:
              > I read on slashdot that Mandrake 9.2 will permanently damage some of
              > the CDROMs from L.G.
              >
              > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/errata.php3
              >
              > Unfortunately Dell uses these CDROMs. I have
              > recently purchased inspiron 8500 with a CD-RW/DVD-burner. I am scared
              > of installing mandrake 9.2. Will it damage the CD-RW/DVD-burner? Has
              > anyone here tried installing mandrake 9.2 on inspiron 8500?
              >
              > Thanks in advance
            • Prema
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 9, 2003
                I don't think the damage is permanent. Check out the
                mandrake-linux site for details on repair - i'm sure i
                saw it the other day.

                I have a 500m inspiron - and it's not of LG make.
                If you still have XP when it came preinstalled in your
                machine, you can download a simple tool made by Nero
                to check your CD-RW/DVD drive brand. The tool is
                available for download at the mandrake linux site.

                http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree