Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Mandrake 9.2 frying L.G's CDROMs

  • Damien Solley
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 2, 2003
      > Thanks for the reply Damien.
      >
      > I have searched a number of the usual FTP servers for the Mandrake
      > CD's but
      > to no avail. Ibiblio.org, esat.net and a number of others. None of
      > them seem
      > to have the 9.2 ISO's.
      >
      > As for SuSE, I seem to remember from a previous attempt, that to do
      > the
      > network install, you had to download an ISO of approx 20Mbs in size to
      > boot
      > the system and start the network install.
      >
      > Again, I cant seem to find this anywhere on SuSE's FTP server.
      >
      > If anyone knows where I might find these, I would appreciate the info.
      >
      > Sam.

      Hi Sam
      No, the ISOs don't seem to be available at the usual sites. I downloaded
      mine from a local Australian mirror. I don't think they are official...
      For the SuSE mini-ISO, look in the boot directory of their download
      link. The file is:
      ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/current/boot/boot.iso
      Damien
    • Sam
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 2, 2003

        > I have searched a number of the usual FTP servers for the Mandrake
        > CD's but
        > to no avail. Ibiblio.org, esat.net and a number of others. None of
        > them seem
        > to have the 9.2 ISO's.
        >
        > As for SuSE, I seem to remember from a previous attempt, that to do
        > the
        > network install, you had to download an ISO of approx 20Mbs in size to
        > boot
        > the system and start the network install.
        >
        > Again, I cant seem to find this anywhere on SuSE's FTP server.
        >
        > If anyone knows where I might find these, I would appreciate the info.
        >
        > Sam.

        Hi Sam
        No, the ISOs don't seem to be available at the usual sites. I downloaded
        mine from a local Australian mirror. I don't think they are official...
        For the SuSE mini-ISO, look in the boot directory of their download
        link. The file is:
        ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/current/boot/boot.iso
        Damien
        Well that link takes you to the 8.2 folder. It is possible to install vers 9 with that disk ?

        Thanks again.

        Sam.
      • Damien Solley
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 2, 2003

          > Hi Sam
          > No, the ISOs don't seem to be available at the usual sites. I
          > downloaded
          > mine from a local Australian mirror. I don't think they are
          > official...
          > For the SuSE mini-ISO, look in the boot directory of their
          > download
          > link. The file is:
          > ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/current/boot/boot.iso
          > Damien
          >
          > Well that link takes you to the 8.2 folder. It is possible to
          > install vers 9 with that disk ?
          >
          > Thanks again.
          >
          > Sam.

          Hmmm. I thought that 'current' meant 9.0, but as the README shows, it is
          indeed 8.2. So we're waiting on SuSE to declare 9.0 current and replace
          the tree on the ftp server.
          Sorry I can't help you any further.
          Damien
          --

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Using Linux on the Inspiron 1100:
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
            I have already sent this link:
            http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/lgerrata.php3
            where you will find all you need.

            To know you cdrom model, several commands:
            cat /proc/ide/hdb/model
            hdparm -i /dev/hdb
            dmesg|grep hdb
            (or hdc, hdd...)

            Alex.

            Vivek Chaudhary wrote:
            > I read on slashdot that Mandrake 9.2 will permanently damage some of
            > the CDROMs from L.G.
            >
            > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/errata.php3
            >
            > Unfortunately Dell uses these CDROMs. I have
            > recently purchased inspiron 8500 with a CD-RW/DVD-burner. I am scared
            > of installing mandrake 9.2. Will it damage the CD-RW/DVD-burner? Has
            > anyone here tried installing mandrake 9.2 on inspiron 8500?
            >
            > Thanks in advance

            http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
            tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
          • Vivek Chaudhary
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
              Never mind. Mandrake will be making the public release of 9.2 ISOs
              this week, and these ISOs will have the kernel patched. So there
              should not be any more problems with the LG CDROMs.

              Although I am kind of disappointed with mandrake. They blew it up in
              this release. I pity the poor club-members who were reduced to
              beta-testers for this release.

              Vivek

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Tessier

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > --
              > http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
              > tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
            • Paul V. Gratz
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
                Not that I use mandrake (Im a Gentoo user) but I really don't think they
                deserve the blame on this one. The LG CDROM drives really are broken.
                They were not designed to spec so Mandrake should not be responsible
                IMHO. What I understand is that the LG cdroms use a documented ATAPI
                instruction to clear the cdrom's cache (which should always be
                non-destructive to execute) as a "overwrite firmware" command.
                Basically it means they are not ATAPI compliant.
                Paul

                On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 13:42, Vivek Chaudhary wrote:
                > Never mind. Mandrake will be making the public release of 9.2 ISOs
                > this week, and these ISOs will have the kernel patched. So there
                > should not be any more problems with the LG CDROMs.
                >
                > Although I am kind of disappointed with mandrake. They blew it up in
                > this release. I pity the poor club-members who were reduced to
                > beta-testers for this release.
                >
                > Vivek
                >
                > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Tessier
                > <Alexandre.Tessier@l...> wrote:
                > > I have already sent this link:
                > > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/lgerrata.php3
                > > where you will find all you need.
                > >
                > > To know you cdrom model, several commands:
                > > cat /proc/ide/hdb/model
                > > hdparm -i /dev/hdb
                > > dmesg|grep hdb
                > > (or hdc, hdd...)
                > >
                > > Alex.
                > >
                > > Vivek Chaudhary wrote:
                > > > I read on slashdot that Mandrake 9.2 will permanently damage some of
                > > > the CDROMs from L.G.
                > > >
                > > > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/errata.php3
                > > >
                > > > Unfortunately Dell uses these CDROMs. I have
                > > > recently purchased inspiron 8500 with a CD-RW/DVD-burner. I am scared
                > > > of installing mandrake 9.2. Will it damage the CD-RW/DVD-burner? Has
                > > > anyone here tried installing mandrake 9.2 on inspiron 8500?
                > > >
                > > > Thanks in advance

                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                > > >

                > > --
                > > http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
                > > tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417

              • Jay
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 9, 2003
                  Here is what I found on Mandrake's site today.

                  Update Nov 3rd, 2003: due to the LG issue the public release of
                  Mandrake 9.2 ISOs has been delayed for a few days.

                  Still not available as of 11/9

                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Vivek Chaudhary"
                  <vivek7006@m...> wrote:
                  > I read on slashdot that Mandrake 9.2 will permanently damage some of
                  > the CDROMs from L.G.
                  >
                  > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/errata.php3
                  >
                  > Unfortunately Dell uses these CDROMs. I have
                  > recently purchased inspiron 8500 with a CD-RW/DVD-burner. I am scared
                  > of installing mandrake 9.2. Will it damage the CD-RW/DVD-burner? Has
                  > anyone here tried installing mandrake 9.2 on inspiron 8500?
                  >
                  > Thanks in advance
                • Prema
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 9, 2003
                    I don't think the damage is permanent. Check out the
                    mandrake-linux site for details on repair - i'm sure i
                    saw it the other day.

                    I have a 500m inspiron - and it's not of LG make.
                    If you still have XP when it came preinstalled in your
                    machine, you can download a simple tool made by Nero
                    to check your CD-RW/DVD drive brand. The tool is
                    available for download at the mandrake linux site.

                    http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree