Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Mandrake 9.2 frying L.G's CDROMs

  • Sam
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 2, 2003
      From: Damien Solley
      To: linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2003 9:54 PM
      Subject: Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Mandrake 9.2 frying L.G's CDROMs

      On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 08:02, Sam wrote:
      > I'd like to find out about this too, I have that same laptop.
      >
      > On a slightly different note, does anyone know when the public
      > download of Mandrake 9.2 ISO's will be available, or indeed the SuSE 9
      > Install CD ??
      >
      > Sam.

      Mandrake 9.2 has been out for several days. The updated ISOs (modified
      to prevent damage to the LG CD-ROMs) have also been released.
      AFAIK, SuSE does not provide a free download ISO. If you want to install
      SuSE over the net, you need to do a special network installation from
      their ftp site.
      Damien

      Thanks for the reply Damien.

      I have searched a number of the usual FTP servers for the Mandrake CD's but
      to no avail. Ibiblio.org, esat.net and a number of others. None of them seem
      to have the 9.2 ISO's.

      As for SuSE, I seem to remember from a previous attempt, that to do the
      network install, you had to download an ISO of approx 20Mbs in size to boot
      the system and start the network install.

      Again, I cant seem to find this anywhere on SuSE's FTP server.

      If anyone knows where I might find these, I would appreciate the info.

      Sam.
    • Vivek Chaudhary
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 2, 2003
        The public download of Mandrake 9.2 ISO's is already available as
        bit-torrent. Go to http://suprnova.org/ and search for mandrake under
        apps/linux

        I downloaded it from there. Have fun

        -Vivek

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Sam" <hotpants@s...> wrote:
        > I'd like to find out about this too, I have that same laptop.
        >
        > On a slightly different note, does anyone know when the public
        download of Mandrake 9.2 ISO's will be available, or indeed the SuSE 9
        Install CD ??

        > Sam.

      • Damien Solley
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 2, 2003
          > Thanks for the reply Damien.
          >
          > I have searched a number of the usual FTP servers for the Mandrake
          > CD's but
          > to no avail. Ibiblio.org, esat.net and a number of others. None of
          > them seem
          > to have the 9.2 ISO's.
          >
          > As for SuSE, I seem to remember from a previous attempt, that to do
          > the
          > network install, you had to download an ISO of approx 20Mbs in size to
          > boot
          > the system and start the network install.
          >
          > Again, I cant seem to find this anywhere on SuSE's FTP server.
          >
          > If anyone knows where I might find these, I would appreciate the info.
          >
          > Sam.

          Hi Sam
          No, the ISOs don't seem to be available at the usual sites. I downloaded
          mine from a local Australian mirror. I don't think they are official...
          For the SuSE mini-ISO, look in the boot directory of their download
          link. The file is:
          ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/current/boot/boot.iso
          Damien
        • Sam
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 2, 2003

            Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2003 11:06 PM

            > Thanks for the reply Damien.
            >
            > I have searched a number of the usual FTP servers for the Mandrake
            > CD's but
            > to no avail. Ibiblio.org, esat.net and a number of others. None of
            > them seem
            > to have the 9.2 ISO's.
            >
            > As for SuSE, I seem to remember from a previous attempt, that to do
            > the
            > network install, you had to download an ISO of approx 20Mbs in size to
            > boot
            > the system and start the network install.
            >
            > Again, I cant seem to find this anywhere on SuSE's FTP server.
            >
            > If anyone knows where I might find these, I would appreciate the info.
            >
            > Sam.

            Hi Sam
            No, the ISOs don't seem to be available at the usual sites. I downloaded
            mine from a local Australian mirror. I don't think they are official...
            For the SuSE mini-ISO, look in the boot directory of their download
            link. The file is:
            ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/current/boot/boot.iso
            Damien
            Well that link takes you to the 8.2 folder. It is possible to install vers 9 with that disk ?

            Thanks again.

            Sam.
          • Damien Solley
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 2, 2003

              > Hi Sam
              > No, the ISOs don't seem to be available at the usual sites. I
              > downloaded
              > mine from a local Australian mirror. I don't think they are
              > official...
              > For the SuSE mini-ISO, look in the boot directory of their
              > download
              > link. The file is:
              > ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/current/boot/boot.iso
              > Damien
              >
              > Well that link takes you to the 8.2 folder. It is possible to
              > install vers 9 with that disk ?
              >
              > Thanks again.
              >
              > Sam.

              Hmmm. I thought that 'current' meant 9.0, but as the README shows, it is
              indeed 8.2. So we're waiting on SuSE to declare 9.0 current and replace
              the tree on the ftp server.
              Sorry I can't help you any further.
              Damien
              --

              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Using Linux on the Inspiron 1100:
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
                I have already sent this link:
                http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/lgerrata.php3
                where you will find all you need.

                To know you cdrom model, several commands:
                cat /proc/ide/hdb/model
                hdparm -i /dev/hdb
                dmesg|grep hdb
                (or hdc, hdd...)

                Alex.

                Vivek Chaudhary wrote:
                > I read on slashdot that Mandrake 9.2 will permanently damage some of
                > the CDROMs from L.G.
                >
                > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/errata.php3
                >
                > Unfortunately Dell uses these CDROMs. I have
                > recently purchased inspiron 8500 with a CD-RW/DVD-burner. I am scared
                > of installing mandrake 9.2. Will it damage the CD-RW/DVD-burner? Has
                > anyone here tried installing mandrake 9.2 on inspiron 8500?
                >
                > Thanks in advance

                http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
                tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
              • Vivek Chaudhary
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
                  Never mind. Mandrake will be making the public release of 9.2 ISOs
                  this week, and these ISOs will have the kernel patched. So there
                  should not be any more problems with the LG CDROMs.

                  Although I am kind of disappointed with mandrake. They blew it up in
                  this release. I pity the poor club-members who were reduced to
                  beta-testers for this release.

                  Vivek

                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Tessier

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  > --
                  > http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
                  > tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
                • Paul V. Gratz
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
                    Not that I use mandrake (Im a Gentoo user) but I really don't think they
                    deserve the blame on this one. The LG CDROM drives really are broken.
                    They were not designed to spec so Mandrake should not be responsible
                    IMHO. What I understand is that the LG cdroms use a documented ATAPI
                    instruction to clear the cdrom's cache (which should always be
                    non-destructive to execute) as a "overwrite firmware" command.
                    Basically it means they are not ATAPI compliant.
                    Paul

                    On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 13:42, Vivek Chaudhary wrote:
                    > Never mind. Mandrake will be making the public release of 9.2 ISOs
                    > this week, and these ISOs will have the kernel patched. So there
                    > should not be any more problems with the LG CDROMs.
                    >
                    > Although I am kind of disappointed with mandrake. They blew it up in
                    > this release. I pity the poor club-members who were reduced to
                    > beta-testers for this release.
                    >
                    > Vivek
                    >
                    > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Tessier
                    > <Alexandre.Tessier@l...> wrote:
                    > > I have already sent this link:
                    > > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/lgerrata.php3
                    > > where you will find all you need.
                    > >
                    > > To know you cdrom model, several commands:
                    > > cat /proc/ide/hdb/model
                    > > hdparm -i /dev/hdb
                    > > dmesg|grep hdb
                    > > (or hdc, hdd...)
                    > >
                    > > Alex.
                    > >
                    > > Vivek Chaudhary wrote:
                    > > > I read on slashdot that Mandrake 9.2 will permanently damage some of
                    > > > the CDROMs from L.G.
                    > > >
                    > > > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/errata.php3
                    > > >
                    > > > Unfortunately Dell uses these CDROMs. I have
                    > > > recently purchased inspiron 8500 with a CD-RW/DVD-burner. I am scared
                    > > > of installing mandrake 9.2. Will it damage the CD-RW/DVD-burner? Has
                    > > > anyone here tried installing mandrake 9.2 on inspiron 8500?
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks in advance

                    > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                    > > >

                    > > --
                    > > http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
                    > > tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417

                  • Jay
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 9, 2003
                      Here is what I found on Mandrake's site today.

                      Update Nov 3rd, 2003: due to the LG issue the public release of
                      Mandrake 9.2 ISOs has been delayed for a few days.

                      Still not available as of 11/9

                      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Vivek Chaudhary"
                      <vivek7006@m...> wrote:
                      > I read on slashdot that Mandrake 9.2 will permanently damage some of
                      > the CDROMs from L.G.
                      >
                      > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/errata.php3
                      >
                      > Unfortunately Dell uses these CDROMs. I have
                      > recently purchased inspiron 8500 with a CD-RW/DVD-burner. I am scared
                      > of installing mandrake 9.2. Will it damage the CD-RW/DVD-burner? Has
                      > anyone here tried installing mandrake 9.2 on inspiron 8500?
                      >
                      > Thanks in advance
                    • Prema
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 9, 2003
                        I don't think the damage is permanent. Check out the
                        mandrake-linux site for details on repair - i'm sure i
                        saw it the other day.

                        I have a 500m inspiron - and it's not of LG make.
                        If you still have XP when it came preinstalled in your
                        machine, you can download a simple tool made by Nero
                        to check your CD-RW/DVD drive brand. The tool is
                        available for download at the mandrake linux site.

                        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree