Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Mandrake 9.2 frying L.G's CDROMs

  • Sam
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 2, 2003
      I'd like to find out about this too, I have that same laptop.

      On a slightly different note, does anyone know when the public download of Mandrake 9.2 ISO's will be available, or indeed the SuSE 9 Install CD ??

      Sam.
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 2, 2003
        On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 07:44, Vivek Chaudhary wrote:
        > I read on slashdot that Mandrake 9.2 will permanently damage some of
        > the CDROMs from L.G.
        >
        > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/errata.php3
        >
        > Unfortunately Dell uses these CDROMs. I have
        > recently purchased inspiron 8500 with a CD-RW/DVD-burner. I am scared
        > of installing mandrake 9.2. Will it damage the CD-RW/DVD-burner? Has
        > anyone here tried installing mandrake 9.2 on inspiron 8500?
        >
        > Thanks in advance

        If you search for the issue on Slashdot, your will find that it only
        affects certain LG CD-ROMs, not CD-RW or DVD. Mandrake has compiled a
        list of affected drives AND re-released 9.2 with a modified kernel that
        will not fry the CD-ROMs.
        Damien
      • Damien Solley
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 2, 2003
          On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 08:02, Sam wrote:
          > I'd like to find out about this too, I have that same laptop.
          >
          > On a slightly different note, does anyone know when the public
          > download of Mandrake 9.2 ISO's will be available, or indeed the SuSE 9
          > Install CD ??
          >
          > Sam.

          Mandrake 9.2 has been out for several days. The updated ISOs (modified
          to prevent damage to the LG CD-ROMs) have also been released.
          AFAIK, SuSE does not provide a free download ISO. If you want to install
          SuSE over the net, you need to do a special network installation from
          their ftp site.
          Damien
        • Sam
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 2, 2003
            > I'd like to find out about this too, I have that same laptop.
            >
            > On a slightly different note, does anyone know when the public
            > download of Mandrake 9.2 ISO's will be available, or indeed the SuSE 9
            > Install CD ??
            >
            > Sam.

            Mandrake 9.2 has been out for several days. The updated ISOs (modified
            to prevent damage to the LG CD-ROMs) have also been released.
            AFAIK, SuSE does not provide a free download ISO. If you want to install
            SuSE over the net, you need to do a special network installation from
            their ftp site.
            Damien

            Thanks for the reply Damien.

            I have searched a number of the usual FTP servers for the Mandrake CD's but
            to no avail. Ibiblio.org, esat.net and a number of others. None of them seem
            to have the 9.2 ISO's.

            As for SuSE, I seem to remember from a previous attempt, that to do the
            network install, you had to download an ISO of approx 20Mbs in size to boot
            the system and start the network install.

            Again, I cant seem to find this anywhere on SuSE's FTP server.

            If anyone knows where I might find these, I would appreciate the info.

            Sam.
          • Vivek Chaudhary
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 2, 2003
              The public download of Mandrake 9.2 ISO's is already available as
              bit-torrent. Go to http://suprnova.org/ and search for mandrake under
              apps/linux

              I downloaded it from there. Have fun

              -Vivek

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Sam" <hotpants@s...> wrote:
              > I'd like to find out about this too, I have that same laptop.
              >
              > On a slightly different note, does anyone know when the public
              download of Mandrake 9.2 ISO's will be available, or indeed the SuSE 9
              Install CD ??

              > Sam.

            • Damien Solley
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 2, 2003
                > Thanks for the reply Damien.
                >
                > I have searched a number of the usual FTP servers for the Mandrake
                > CD's but
                > to no avail. Ibiblio.org, esat.net and a number of others. None of
                > them seem
                > to have the 9.2 ISO's.
                >
                > As for SuSE, I seem to remember from a previous attempt, that to do
                > the
                > network install, you had to download an ISO of approx 20Mbs in size to
                > boot
                > the system and start the network install.
                >
                > Again, I cant seem to find this anywhere on SuSE's FTP server.
                >
                > If anyone knows where I might find these, I would appreciate the info.
                >
                > Sam.

                Hi Sam
                No, the ISOs don't seem to be available at the usual sites. I downloaded
                mine from a local Australian mirror. I don't think they are official...
                For the SuSE mini-ISO, look in the boot directory of their download
                link. The file is:
                ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/current/boot/boot.iso
                Damien
              • Sam
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 2, 2003

                  Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2003 11:06 PM

                  > Thanks for the reply Damien.
                  >
                  > I have searched a number of the usual FTP servers for the Mandrake
                  > CD's but
                  > to no avail. Ibiblio.org, esat.net and a number of others. None of
                  > them seem
                  > to have the 9.2 ISO's.
                  >
                  > As for SuSE, I seem to remember from a previous attempt, that to do
                  > the
                  > network install, you had to download an ISO of approx 20Mbs in size to
                  > boot
                  > the system and start the network install.
                  >
                  > Again, I cant seem to find this anywhere on SuSE's FTP server.
                  >
                  > If anyone knows where I might find these, I would appreciate the info.
                  >
                  > Sam.

                  Hi Sam
                  No, the ISOs don't seem to be available at the usual sites. I downloaded
                  mine from a local Australian mirror. I don't think they are official...
                  For the SuSE mini-ISO, look in the boot directory of their download
                  link. The file is:
                  ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/current/boot/boot.iso
                  Damien
                  Well that link takes you to the 8.2 folder. It is possible to install vers 9 with that disk ?

                  Thanks again.

                  Sam.
                • Damien Solley
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 2, 2003

                    > Hi Sam
                    > No, the ISOs don't seem to be available at the usual sites. I
                    > downloaded
                    > mine from a local Australian mirror. I don't think they are
                    > official...
                    > For the SuSE mini-ISO, look in the boot directory of their
                    > download
                    > link. The file is:
                    > ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/current/boot/boot.iso
                    > Damien
                    >
                    > Well that link takes you to the 8.2 folder. It is possible to
                    > install vers 9 with that disk ?
                    >
                    > Thanks again.
                    >
                    > Sam.

                    Hmmm. I thought that 'current' meant 9.0, but as the README shows, it is
                    indeed 8.2. So we're waiting on SuSE to declare 9.0 current and replace
                    the tree on the ftp server.
                    Sorry I can't help you any further.
                    Damien
                    --

                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Using Linux on the Inspiron 1100:
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
                      I have already sent this link:
                      http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/lgerrata.php3
                      where you will find all you need.

                      To know you cdrom model, several commands:
                      cat /proc/ide/hdb/model
                      hdparm -i /dev/hdb
                      dmesg|grep hdb
                      (or hdc, hdd...)

                      Alex.

                      Vivek Chaudhary wrote:
                      > I read on slashdot that Mandrake 9.2 will permanently damage some of
                      > the CDROMs from L.G.
                      >
                      > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/errata.php3
                      >
                      > Unfortunately Dell uses these CDROMs. I have
                      > recently purchased inspiron 8500 with a CD-RW/DVD-burner. I am scared
                      > of installing mandrake 9.2. Will it damage the CD-RW/DVD-burner? Has
                      > anyone here tried installing mandrake 9.2 on inspiron 8500?
                      >
                      > Thanks in advance

                      http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
                      tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
                    • Vivek Chaudhary
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
                        Never mind. Mandrake will be making the public release of 9.2 ISOs
                        this week, and these ISOs will have the kernel patched. So there
                        should not be any more problems with the LG CDROMs.

                        Although I am kind of disappointed with mandrake. They blew it up in
                        this release. I pity the poor club-members who were reduced to
                        beta-testers for this release.

                        Vivek

                        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Tessier

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        > --
                        > http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
                        > tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
                      • Paul V. Gratz
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
                          Not that I use mandrake (Im a Gentoo user) but I really don't think they
                          deserve the blame on this one. The LG CDROM drives really are broken.
                          They were not designed to spec so Mandrake should not be responsible
                          IMHO. What I understand is that the LG cdroms use a documented ATAPI
                          instruction to clear the cdrom's cache (which should always be
                          non-destructive to execute) as a "overwrite firmware" command.
                          Basically it means they are not ATAPI compliant.
                          Paul

                          On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 13:42, Vivek Chaudhary wrote:
                          > Never mind. Mandrake will be making the public release of 9.2 ISOs
                          > this week, and these ISOs will have the kernel patched. So there
                          > should not be any more problems with the LG CDROMs.
                          >
                          > Although I am kind of disappointed with mandrake. They blew it up in
                          > this release. I pity the poor club-members who were reduced to
                          > beta-testers for this release.
                          >
                          > Vivek
                          >
                          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Tessier
                          > <Alexandre.Tessier@l...> wrote:
                          > > I have already sent this link:
                          > > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/lgerrata.php3
                          > > where you will find all you need.
                          > >
                          > > To know you cdrom model, several commands:
                          > > cat /proc/ide/hdb/model
                          > > hdparm -i /dev/hdb
                          > > dmesg|grep hdb
                          > > (or hdc, hdd...)
                          > >
                          > > Alex.
                          > >
                          > > Vivek Chaudhary wrote:
                          > > > I read on slashdot that Mandrake 9.2 will permanently damage some of
                          > > > the CDROMs from L.G.
                          > > >
                          > > > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/errata.php3
                          > > >
                          > > > Unfortunately Dell uses these CDROMs. I have
                          > > > recently purchased inspiron 8500 with a CD-RW/DVD-burner. I am scared
                          > > > of installing mandrake 9.2. Will it damage the CD-RW/DVD-burner? Has
                          > > > anyone here tried installing mandrake 9.2 on inspiron 8500?
                          > > >
                          > > > Thanks in advance

                          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                          > > >

                          > > --
                          > > http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
                          > > tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417

                        • Jay
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 9, 2003
                            Here is what I found on Mandrake's site today.

                            Update Nov 3rd, 2003: due to the LG issue the public release of
                            Mandrake 9.2 ISOs has been delayed for a few days.

                            Still not available as of 11/9

                            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Vivek Chaudhary"
                            <vivek7006@m...> wrote:
                            > I read on slashdot that Mandrake 9.2 will permanently damage some of
                            > the CDROMs from L.G.
                            >
                            > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/errata.php3
                            >
                            > Unfortunately Dell uses these CDROMs. I have
                            > recently purchased inspiron 8500 with a CD-RW/DVD-burner. I am scared
                            > of installing mandrake 9.2. Will it damage the CD-RW/DVD-burner? Has
                            > anyone here tried installing mandrake 9.2 on inspiron 8500?
                            >
                            > Thanks in advance
                          • Prema
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 9, 2003
                              I don't think the damage is permanent. Check out the
                              mandrake-linux site for details on repair - i'm sure i
                              saw it the other day.

                              I have a 500m inspiron - and it's not of LG make.
                              If you still have XP when it came preinstalled in your
                              machine, you can download a simple tool made by Nero
                              to check your CD-RW/DVD drive brand. The tool is
                              available for download at the mandrake linux site.

                              http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree