Re: [linux-dell-laptops] suauth question

  • Munagala Ramanath
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1, 2003
      Have you tried 'sudo' ?

      --- "W.K. Vladmir Ward" <web_raptor.geo@...> wrote:
      > Quick question, and hopefully someone can answer me
      > just as quickly...
      >
      > Recently I've looked into adding free su privelages to
      > my user account on my laptop (as I'm the only one
      > using it at any given time, especially on the linux
      > side, I see no harm in doing so). Following directions
      > from 'man 5 suauth' I created the /etc/suauth file
      > with a single line:
      >
      > root:gus:NOPASS
      >
      > as 'gus' is my username (yep, I'm a hick ;). Problem
      > is, su doesn't seem to care one bit about this file,
      > as whenever I try to su it still asks me for a root
      > password (which as I understand it shoudln't do to
      > begin with), and leaving the password prompt blank
      > results in a login failure.
      >
      > The file's access mask is 440 (-r--r-----) which I
      > figure should be sufficient for being read by su...
      > even with mode 777 it doesn't work, however.
      >
      > Should you need the info, I'm on a very modified
      > Slackware 8.1 (lots of stuff added... I'm thinking of
      > upgrading, but I've got so much stuff installed on
      > here I don't know if I want to... but clean new
      > systems sure are nice).
      >
      > =====
      > Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a
      > makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh
      > well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

    • W.K. Vladmir Ward
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 3, 2003
        Please clarify about sudo... as far as I'm familiar
        with it (and I'm not too terribly so) it only lets you
        run a command as another user. This isn't my aim; I
        want to be able to su into a root-user shell without
        password authentication.

      • Jon Daley
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 3, 2003
          As scary as this is, I think you want an entry in /etc/sudoers,
          something like this:
          gus <machinename>=NOPASSWD: /bin/tcsh

          And then you run `sudo -u root tcsh` and tada, you have a root prompt.

          And if you don't like typing that long command, you might alias your su to
          something like this.

          alias su 'if("\!$" == "su") then \
          \sudo -u root tcsh \
          else \
          \su \!$ \
          endif'

          PS. This seems like really bad idea. At least you could make a one letter
          password or something. It doesn't take that long to type.

          On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:

          > Please clarify about sudo... as far as I'm familiar
          > with it (and I'm not too terribly so) it only lets you
          > run a command as another user. This isn't my aim; I
          > want to be able to su into a root-user shell without
          > password authentication.
          >
          > --- Munagala Ramanath <amberarrow@...> wrote:
          > > Have you tried 'sudo' ?
          > >
          > > --- "W.K. Vladmir Ward" <web_raptor.geo@...>
          > > wrote:
          > > > Quick question, and hopefully someone can answer
          > > me
          > > > just as quickly...
          > > >
          > > > Recently I've looked into adding free su
          > > privelages to
          > > > my user account on my laptop (as I'm the only one
          > > > using it at any given time, especially on the
          > > linux
          > > > side, I see no harm in doing so). Following
          > > directions
          > > > from 'man 5 suauth' I created the /etc/suauth file
          > > > with a single line:
          > > >
          > > > root:gus:NOPASS
          > > >
          > > > as 'gus' is my username (yep, I'm a hick ;).
          > > Problem
          > > > is, su doesn't seem to care one bit about this
          > > file,
          > > > as whenever I try to su it still asks me for a
          > > root
          > > > password (which as I understand it shoudln't do to
          > > > begin with), and leaving the password prompt blank
          > > > results in a login failure.
          > > >
          > > > The file's access mask is 440 (-r--r-----) which I
          > > > figure should be sufficient for being read by
          > > su...
          > > > even with mode 777 it doesn't work, however.
          > > >
          > > > Should you need the info, I'm on a very modified
          > > > Slackware 8.1 (lots of stuff added... I'm thinking
          > > of
          > > > upgrading, but I've got so much stuff installed on
          > > > here I don't know if I want to... but clean new
          > > > systems sure are nice).
          > > >
          > > > =====
          > > > Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong,
          > > you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a
          > > > makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's
          > > on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh
          > > > well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

          > > Exclusive Video Premiere - Britney Spears
          > > http://launch.yahoo.com/promos/britneyspears/
          > >

          > =====
          > Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

          * Jonathan M. Daley * Feeling like a one legged man *
          * * at a butt kicking contest is *
          * jondaley@... * not a fun place to be. *
          * * -- Pam Martin, original *
          * www.snurgle.org/~jondaley * source unknown *
        • W.K. Vladmir Ward
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 5, 2003
            I could give that a try. I'd prefer not changing my
            root password as it stands, however... I'd still like
            to be able to use the suauth file. Maybe I just need
            to update the su program, or something. Thoughts/ideas
            on that?

            =====
            Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

            http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
          • Jon Daley
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 5, 2003
              Oh, I think I mis-spoke. I thought you said you wanted to change
              your root password to be empty. My way doesn't require any password
              changes, and provides a password-less root login from your user and
              machine. I suggested the alias, just to make it shorter to type, and then
              you can just type 'su' and it will "magically" sudo for you without a
              password.

              On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:

              > I could give that a try. I'd prefer not changing my
              > root password as it stands, however... I'd still like
              > to be able to use the suauth file. Maybe I just need
              > to update the su program, or something. Thoughts/ideas
              > on that?
              >
              > --- Jon Daley <jondaley@...> wrote:
              > > As scary as this is, I think you want an entry in
              > > /etc/sudoers,
              > > something like this:
              > > gus <machinename>=NOPASSWD: /bin/tcsh
              > >
              > > And then you run `sudo -u root tcsh` and tada, you
              > > have a root prompt.
              > >
              > > And if you don't like typing that long command, you
              > > might alias your su to
              > > something like this.
              > >
              > > alias su 'if("\!$" == "su") then \
              > > \sudo -u root tcsh \
              > > else \
              > > \su \!$ \
              > > endif'
              > >
              > > PS. This seems like really bad idea. At least you
              > > could make a one letter
              > > password or something. It doesn't take that long to
              > > type.
              > >

              > > On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:
              > >
              > > > Please clarify about sudo... as far as I'm
              > > familiar
              > > > with it (and I'm not too terribly so) it only lets
              > > you
              > > > run a command as another user. This isn't my aim;
              > > > want to be able to su into a root-user shell
              > > without
              > > > password authentication.
              > > >
              > > > --- Munagala Ramanath <amberarrow@...>

              > > <web_raptor.geo@...>
              > > answer

              > > one
              > > file

              > > do to
              > > blank

              > > which I

              > > modified
              > > thinking
              > > installed on
              > > new

              > > it's

              > > > =====
              > > > Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong,
              > > you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a
              > > makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's
              > > on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan
              > > and Hell" - Black Sabbath

              > > > Exclusive Video Premiere - Britney Spears
              > > > http://launch.yahoo.com/promos/britneyspears/

              > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > > * Jonathan M. Daley * Feeling like a one
              > > legged man *
              > > * * at a butt kicking
              > > contest is *
              > > * jondaley@... * not a fun place to
              > > be. *
              > > * * -- Pam Martin,
              > > original *
              > > * www.snurgle.org/~jondaley * source
              > > unknown *

              > =====
              > Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

              * Jonathan M. Daley * An ego trip is something that *
              * jondaley@... * never gets you anywhere. *
              * www.snurgle.org/~jondaley * -- Suzan Wiener *
            • W.K. Vladmir Ward
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 7, 2003
                Ahhh, okay, that clears up a bit of confusion :)

                I'll give that a shot, though I'm still a bit irked
                why suauth doesn't work. I'm currently making a friend
                of mine figure it out for me... it's only fair since I
                showed him how to implement NAT through his machine.
                :P I'll post my results (if any) here when I'm through
                with the problem.

                --- Jon Daley <jondaley@...> wrote:
> [...]
                > > > file

                > ;).
                > this
                > for a
                > shoudln't
                > > > do to
                > prompt
                > > > blank

                > > > which I
                > by
                > however.

                > > > modified
                > > > thinking
                > > > installed on
                > clean
                > > > new

                > wrong,
                > takerSo
                > > > it's

                > > > you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a
                > > > makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo
                > it's
                > > > on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh

                === message truncated ===

                =====

                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 7, 2003
                  Hmm.. I did the alias command exactly as you
                  specified, but then when I type "su" I'm left at a >
                  prompt waiting for an input. This doesn't seem like
                  the desired behavior.

                  --- Jon Daley <jondaley@...> wrote:
> [...]
                  > > > file

                  > ;).
                  > this
                  > for a
                  > shoudln't
                  > > > do to
                  > prompt
                  > > > blank

                  > > > which I
                  > by
                  > however.

                  > > > modified
                  > > > thinking
                  > > > installed on
                  > clean
                  > > > new

                  > wrong,
                  > takerSo
                  > > > it's

                  > > > you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a
                  > > > makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo
                  > it's
                  > > > on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh

                  === message truncated ===

                  =====

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 7, 2003
                    If you type "whoami" what do you get? What shell do you normally
                    use? Perhaps you want something besides tcsh?

                    Also, if you are not using tcsh, the alias command will be
                    different.
                    If you skip the alias for now, does the sudo command do want you
                    want?

                    On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:

                    > Hmm.. I did the alias command exactly as you
                    > specified, but then when I type "su" I'm left at a >
                    > prompt waiting for an input. This doesn't seem like
                    > the desired behavior.
                    >

                    > --- Jon Daley <jondaley@...> wrote:
                    > > Oh, I think I mis-spoke. I thought you said you
                    > > wanted to change
                    > > your root password to be empty. My way doesn't
                    > > require any password
                    > > changes, and provides a password-less root login
                    > > from your user and
                    > > machine. I suggested the alias, just to make it
                    > > shorter to type, and then
                    > > you can just type 'su' and it will "magically" sudo
                    > > for you without a
                    > > password.
                    > >
                    > > On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > I could give that a try. I'd prefer not changing
                    > > my
                    > > > root password as it stands, however... I'd still
                    > > like
                    > > > to be able to use the suauth file. Maybe I just
                    > > need
                    > > > to update the su program, or something.
                    > > Thoughts/ideas
                    > > > on that?

                    > > in

                    > > you

                    > > you

                    > > you
                    > > long to

                    > > lets
                    > > aim;

                    > > only
                    > > the
                    > > Following
                    > > /etc/suauth

                    > > ;).
                    > > this
                    > > for a
                    > > shoudln't
                    > > prompt

                    > > by
                    > > however.

                    > > clean

                    > > wrong,
                    > > takerSo

                    > > http://launch.yahoo.com/promos/britneyspears/

                    > > http://launch.yahoo.com/promos/britneyspears/

                    > > it's
                    > > well"Heavan

                    > > one
                    > > place
                    > === message truncated ===
                    >

                    > =====
                    > Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

                    * Jonathan M. Daley * The only real failure in life *
                    * jondaley@... * is one not learned from. *
                    * www.snurgle.org/~jondaley * -- Anthony D'Angelo *
                  • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 7, 2003
                      Ach so. I use bash. If I "sudo -u root /bin/bash
                      --login" from my account it works perfectly fine. I
                      suppose I just need to change the syntax of the alias
                      command... not sure how to do that 'if' in there

                      For now I can just alias su as sudo -u root /bin/bash
                      --login as I extremely rarely su any other accounts.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 7, 2003
                        Greetings all

                        A couple of issues have recently been bothering me,
                        one of which is the process of compiling on a machine
                        for a different architechture and/or kernel version.
                        I'd like to compile (using my i8200) the lirc modules
                        for use in my Sharp Zaurus 5600 -- modules for the
                        5000 and 5500 are available, but do not work on my
                        5600.

                        I figured I would compile them myself, BUT I have no
                        idea how to specify the X-Scale CPU as the target
                        arch, nor how to (if I even can, or if it matters)
                        specify the kernel version for which it will be
                        compiled. If someone could give me a couple of
                        pointers, or show me to a good howto, or something,
                        I'd be quite grateful.

                        Thanks in advance

                        =====
                        Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

                        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                      • Joe Winegarden
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 9, 2003
                          I have no idea about your particular platform, but I've done something
                          similar by creating a cross compiler for the PS2 Linux kit. What you need
                          to do is build gcc and binutils with --target=xscale-elf using the headers
                          and lib files from the xscale linux install (which I believe you can find
                          on openzaurus.org). Once you have those 2 packages built, then link to
                          them in your makefile as opposed to the system-default (i.e. something
                          like CCC=/usr/local/xscale/bin/gcc instead of just CCC=gcc). If you do a
                          google for "cross compiler xscale", there are several mailing list
                          postings where people have tried to do just this (and fixes for the
                          problems they encountered).

                          HTH
                          -Joe