Is this 5150 summary accurate?

  • Allan Gottlieb
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2003
      I was planning to purchase a 5150 and read a number of articles from
      this group and read the two entries in
      http://www.cs.du.edu/~nsingapu/insp5150/insp_5150.html

      As expected a great deal of useful information was there, thanks.

      Three areas seemed a little unclear: minipci wireless, bios upgrades,
      and power management. Is the following a fair summary?

      1. wireless: The truemoble 1150 works under linux, but the the 1300
      and 1180 do not.

      Question. If I buy the machine *without* a minipci, can I simply buy
      and install an 1150? In particular, are the antenna wires there (I
      know one is likely to be a little short?

      2. bios upgrades: Issues have been reported with several, A23 and A24
      among others. Presumably a new machine will have a new bios (??);
      so I will have to live with these issues until a fix is found. I
      see on dell's site that A25 is available. Has anyone tried it?

      3. power management (ties in with #2). I realize there are acp vs
      acpi questions. Is it fair to say that, given one of the new
      bios'es, one can build a kernel and arrive at an "acceptable"
      solution? That is, at least the machine can be suspended (either
      to ram or disk, ok if only one is possible), it will run at high
      speed when plugged in, and will cool itself enough not to break? I
      realize that my definition of "acceptable" is very weak and a lot
      more should work.

      Finally, I didn't see a specific mention of the 7200 RPM 60GB disk.
      I assume there are no linux issues with this (it simply becomes hdx
      for some x).

      Thanks very much,
      allan
    • severinsieben
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2003
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Allan Gottlieb
        <gottlieb@n...> wrote:
        > I was planning to purchase a 5150 and read a number of articles from
        > this group and read the two entries in
        >
        > Three areas seemed a little unclear: minipci wireless, bios
        upgrades,
        > and power management. Is the following a fair summary?
        >
        > 1. wireless: The truemoble 1150 works under linux, but the the 1300
        > and 1180 do not.
        >
        > Question. If I buy the machine *without* a minipci, can I simply
        buy
        > and install an 1150? In particular, are the antenna wires there (I
        > know one is likely to be a little short?

        don't know, haven't investigated.

        > 2. bios upgrades: Issues have been reported with several, A23 and
        A24
        > among others. Presumably a new machine will have a new bios
        (??);
        > so I will have to live with these issues until a fix is found. I
        > see on dell's site that A25 is available. Has anyone tried it?

        see below

        > 3. power management (ties in with #2). I realize there are acp vs
        > acpi questions. Is it fair to say that, given one of the new
        > bios'es, one can build a kernel and arrive at an "acceptable"
        > solution? That is, at least the machine can be suspended (either
        > to ram or disk, ok if only one is possible), it will run at high
        > speed when plugged in, and will cool itself enough not to
        break? I
        > realize that my definition of "acceptable" is very weak and a lot
        > more should work.

        i'm running A25. apm still does not work with this bios.

        it seems compiling acpi patch into ur kernel is the only option atm
        for power management on a 5150. a potenial problem is that there are
        no DSDT spec files on the linux acpi site for 5150, although there
        are 2 for 5100, which is (i think) fairly similar. looks like suspend
        can be handled by swsuspend which uses ur swap partition to suspend
        to.

        i haven't attempted all this yet (5150 arrived 2 weeks ago). main
        problem is it won't power down without u pressing the power key. been
        putting off looking into format of DSDT files ;)