Latitude C600 Redhat 9 and dwl-650+

  • Sunil
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2003
      Hi, I have redhat 9 stock installed dual boot with xp, i8k module's
      loaded and i run i8kmon for fan control. Linux works great,
      temperatures are fine and normal. I recenly got a DWL-650+ d-link
      wireless pc card, and installed the drivers. I guess I have two
      problems. The main one is that it seems that the sensor or the way
      linux is dealing with the pc card causes my cpu temperature to jump
      by about 10 degrees, to the point where my config file kicks in and
      my fans start running. Since the temperature stays at that level
      (around 55 C) the fans continuously run. Any idea how to fix this?
      the drivers seem to be installed correctly.
      Also: the pc card works perfectly in xp with no temperature spike or
      anything.

      Two: I'm not quite sure how to setup the wireless connection. I have
      my own ssid name, with a 10 char encryption key (64-bit), and here
      are the scripts i have (followed from the howto for the driver
      install):

      /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1:

      DEVICE=eth1
      BOOTPROTO=dhcp
      ONBOOT=yes
      WIRELESS=yes
      ESSID=<my actual ssid>
      MODE=2

      and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-wireless:
      added to the top of the script:

      ifconfig $DEVICE up
      sleep 2

      and to the end:

      sleep 5

      i run /sbin/ifup eth1 and i get: Determining ip information for
      eth1...Failed.

      i've also tried setting key and essid in /sbin/iwconfig. I'd REALLY
      appreciate any help, sorry for the long post. Thanks!

      -Sunil