Stupid Noob Question

  • Edward_Sara
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 30, 2003
      Ok folks...still using mdk9.1

      Anyway, I am pulling my hair out on this one. I have been attempting
      to switch to GNOME for my desktop, but for the life of me must be
      missing something. There have been times where I see GNOME begin to
      load, only to have a KDE overlay appear and remove the GNOME interface.

      Any ideas why this is happening? Is there any information I can post
      to help sort this one out.

      Thanks
    • Nancy Rudins
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 30, 2003
        On Thursday 30 October 2003 08:49, Edward_Sara wrote:
        > Ok folks...still using mdk9.1
        >
        > Anyway, I am pulling my hair out on this one. I have been attempting
        > to switch to GNOME for my desktop, but for the life of me must be
        > missing something. There have been times where I see GNOME begin to
        > load, only to have a KDE overlay appear and remove the GNOME interface.
        >
        > Any ideas why this is happening? Is there any information I can post
        > to help sort this one out.
        >
        > Thanks

        Does your /etc/sysconfig/desktop file contain the line:

        DESKTOP="GNOME"

        If so, change GNOME to KDE.

        Kind regards,
        Nancy

        --
        Nancy Rudins nrudins@...
        http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/People/nrudins/

        Take a sad song and make it better. (lennon/mccartney)
      • Edward_Sara
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 30, 2003
          Even though that sounds counterintuitive, I tried it, and the system
          continues to use a KDE desktop. It's really strange. If I logout and
          log back in, the login screen is GNOME, but the desktop ends up as
          KDE. When I was using RH9 I could switch them easily, but something
          is wrong in mdk. Anyway, guess I'll just live with it for now.

          I'd rather not make a big deal out of it anyway, since I'll need to
          redo everything when I upgrade to mdk9.2 in a couple of weeks.

          -Ed

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Rudins <nrudins@n...>
          wrote:
          > On Thursday 30 October 2003 08:49, Edward_Sara wrote:
          > > Ok folks...still using mdk9.1
          > >
          > > Anyway, I am pulling my hair out on this one. I have been attempting
          > > to switch to GNOME for my desktop, but for the life of me must be
          > > missing something. There have been times where I see GNOME begin to
          > > load, only to have a KDE overlay appear and remove the GNOME
          interface.

          > > Any ideas why this is happening? Is there any information I can post
          > > to help sort this one out.
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >

          > Does your /etc/sysconfig/desktop file contain the line:
          >
          > DESKTOP="GNOME"
          >
          > If so, change GNOME to KDE.
          >
          > Kind regards,
          > Nancy
          >
          > --
          > Nancy Rudins nrudins@n...
          > http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/People/nrudins/
          >
          > Take a sad song and make it better. (lennon/mccartney)
        • Damien Solley
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 30, 2003
            On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 07:47, Edward_Sara wrote:
            > Even though that sounds counterintuitive, I tried it, and the system
            > continues to use a KDE desktop. It's really strange. If I logout and
            > log back in, the login screen is GNOME, but the desktop ends up as
            > KDE. When I was using RH9 I could switch them easily, but something
            > is wrong in mdk. Anyway, guess I'll just live with it for now.
            >
            > I'd rather not make a big deal out of it anyway, since I'll need to
            > redo everything when I upgrade to mdk9.2 in a couple of weeks.
            >
            > -Ed

            Hi Ed
            You don't really _need_ to "redo everything" when you upgrade, as MDK
            has excellent upgradeability. I see no use in ignoring the option to
            safely keep all your configuration options and personal settings by
            doing an install rather than upgrade.
            Anyway, you can get a gnome desktop by doing this:
            echo gnome-session > ~/.xsession
            chmod +x ~/.xsession
            Then, when you choose to login at the GDM startup screen, choose
            "Default" or "Xsession" or similar (I can't remember what MDK is calling
            it these days). You should then have a GNOME desktop.
            Regards
            Damien
          • Alexandre Tessier
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 31, 2003
              Damien Solley wrote:
              > Anyway, you can get a gnome desktop by doing this:
              > echo gnome-session > ~/.xsession
              > chmod +x ~/.xsession

              On my mdk9.1, I have to files containing GNOME in my home dir (found
              with "grep -i gnome ~/.*") .desktop and .wmrc.
              I don't know which one is used by dm or gdm or kdm:

              echo "DESKTOP=GNOME" > $HOME/.desktop
              chmod ugo+r $HOME/.desktop

              echo GNOME > $HOME/.wmrc
              chmod ugo+r $HOME/.wmrc

              Alex.
            • W.K. Vladmir Ward
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 31, 2003
                Quick question, and hopefully someone can answer me
                just as quickly...

                Recently I've looked into adding free su privelages to
                my user account on my laptop (as I'm the only one
                using it at any given time, especially on the linux
                side, I see no harm in doing so). Following directions
                from 'man 5 suauth' I created the /etc/suauth file
                with a single line:

                root:gus:NOPASS

                as 'gus' is my username (yep, I'm a hick ;). Problem
                is, su doesn't seem to care one bit about this file,
                as whenever I try to su it still asks me for a root
                password (which as I understand it shoudln't do to
                begin with), and leaving the password prompt blank
                results in a login failure.

                The file's access mask is 440 (-r--r-----) which I
                figure should be sufficient for being read by su...
                even with mode 777 it doesn't work, however.

                Should you need the info, I'm on a very modified
                Slackware 8.1 (lots of stuff added... I'm thinking of
                upgrading, but I've got so much stuff installed on
                here I don't know if I want to... but clean new
                systems sure are nice).

                =====
                Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 1, 2003
                  Have you tried 'sudo' ?

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 3, 2003
                    Please clarify about sudo... as far as I'm familiar
                    with it (and I'm not too terribly so) it only lets you
                    run a command as another user. This isn't my aim; I
                    want to be able to su into a root-user shell without
                    password authentication.

                  • Jon Daley
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 3, 2003
                      As scary as this is, I think you want an entry in /etc/sudoers,
                      something like this:
                      gus <machinename>=NOPASSWD: /bin/tcsh

                      And then you run `sudo -u root tcsh` and tada, you have a root prompt.

                      And if you don't like typing that long command, you might alias your su to
                      something like this.

                      alias su 'if("\!$" == "su") then \
                      \sudo -u root tcsh \
                      else \
                      \su \!$ \
                      endif'

                      PS. This seems like really bad idea. At least you could make a one letter
                      password or something. It doesn't take that long to type.

                      On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:

                      > Please clarify about sudo... as far as I'm familiar
                      > with it (and I'm not too terribly so) it only lets you
                      > run a command as another user. This isn't my aim; I
                      > want to be able to su into a root-user shell without
                      > password authentication.
                      >
                      > --- Munagala Ramanath <amberarrow@...> wrote:
                      > > Have you tried 'sudo' ?
                      > >
                      > > --- "W.K. Vladmir Ward" <web_raptor.geo@...>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > > Quick question, and hopefully someone can answer
                      > > me
                      > > > just as quickly...
                      > > >
                      > > > Recently I've looked into adding free su
                      > > privelages to
                      > > > my user account on my laptop (as I'm the only one
                      > > > using it at any given time, especially on the
                      > > linux
                      > > > side, I see no harm in doing so). Following
                      > > directions
                      > > > from 'man 5 suauth' I created the /etc/suauth file
                      > > > with a single line:
                      > > >
                      > > > root:gus:NOPASS
                      > > >
                      > > > as 'gus' is my username (yep, I'm a hick ;).
                      > > Problem
                      > > > is, su doesn't seem to care one bit about this
                      > > file,
                      > > > as whenever I try to su it still asks me for a
                      > > root
                      > > > password (which as I understand it shoudln't do to
                      > > > begin with), and leaving the password prompt blank
                      > > > results in a login failure.
                      > > >
                      > > > The file's access mask is 440 (-r--r-----) which I
                      > > > figure should be sufficient for being read by
                      > > su...
                      > > > even with mode 777 it doesn't work, however.
                      > > >
                      > > > Should you need the info, I'm on a very modified
                      > > > Slackware 8.1 (lots of stuff added... I'm thinking
                      > > of
                      > > > upgrading, but I've got so much stuff installed on
                      > > > here I don't know if I want to... but clean new
                      > > > systems sure are nice).
                      > > >
                      > > > =====
                      > > > Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong,
                      > > you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a
                      > > > makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's
                      > > on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh
                      > > > well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

                      > > Exclusive Video Premiere - Britney Spears
                      > > http://launch.yahoo.com/promos/britneyspears/
                      > >

                      > =====
                      > Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

                      * Jonathan M. Daley * Feeling like a one legged man *
                      * * at a butt kicking contest is *
                      * jondaley@... * not a fun place to be. *
                      * * -- Pam Martin, original *
                      * www.snurgle.org/~jondaley * source unknown *
                    • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 5, 2003
                        I could give that a try. I'd prefer not changing my
                        root password as it stands, however... I'd still like
                        to be able to use the suauth file. Maybe I just need
                        to update the su program, or something. Thoughts/ideas
                        on that?

                        =====
                        Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

                        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                      • Jon Daley
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 5, 2003
                          Oh, I think I mis-spoke. I thought you said you wanted to change
                          your root password to be empty. My way doesn't require any password
                          changes, and provides a password-less root login from your user and
                          machine. I suggested the alias, just to make it shorter to type, and then
                          you can just type 'su' and it will "magically" sudo for you without a
                          password.

                          On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:

                          > I could give that a try. I'd prefer not changing my
                          > root password as it stands, however... I'd still like
                          > to be able to use the suauth file. Maybe I just need
                          > to update the su program, or something. Thoughts/ideas
                          > on that?
                          >
                          > --- Jon Daley <jondaley@...> wrote:
                          > > As scary as this is, I think you want an entry in
                          > > /etc/sudoers,
                          > > something like this:
                          > > gus <machinename>=NOPASSWD: /bin/tcsh
                          > >
                          > > And then you run `sudo -u root tcsh` and tada, you
                          > > have a root prompt.
                          > >
                          > > And if you don't like typing that long command, you
                          > > might alias your su to
                          > > something like this.
                          > >
                          > > alias su 'if("\!$" == "su") then \
                          > > \sudo -u root tcsh \
                          > > else \
                          > > \su \!$ \
                          > > endif'
                          > >
                          > > PS. This seems like really bad idea. At least you
                          > > could make a one letter
                          > > password or something. It doesn't take that long to
                          > > type.
                          > >

                          > > On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > Please clarify about sudo... as far as I'm
                          > > familiar
                          > > > with it (and I'm not too terribly so) it only lets
                          > > you
                          > > > run a command as another user. This isn't my aim;
                          > > > want to be able to su into a root-user shell
                          > > without
                          > > > password authentication.
                          > > >
                          > > > --- Munagala Ramanath <amberarrow@...>

                          > > <web_raptor.geo@...>
                          > > answer

                          > > one
                          > > file

                          > > do to
                          > > blank

                          > > which I

                          > > modified
                          > > thinking
                          > > installed on
                          > > new

                          > > it's

                          > > > =====
                          > > > Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong,
                          > > you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a
                          > > makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's
                          > > on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan
                          > > and Hell" - Black Sabbath

                          > > > Exclusive Video Premiere - Britney Spears
                          > > > http://launch.yahoo.com/promos/britneyspears/

                          > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          > > * Jonathan M. Daley * Feeling like a one
                          > > legged man *
                          > > * * at a butt kicking
                          > > contest is *
                          > > * jondaley@... * not a fun place to
                          > > be. *
                          > > * * -- Pam Martin,
                          > > original *
                          > > * www.snurgle.org/~jondaley * source
                          > > unknown *

                          > =====
                          > Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

                          * Jonathan M. Daley * An ego trip is something that *
                          * jondaley@... * never gets you anywhere. *
                          * www.snurgle.org/~jondaley * -- Suzan Wiener *
                        • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 7, 2003
                            Ahhh, okay, that clears up a bit of confusion :)

                            I'll give that a shot, though I'm still a bit irked
                            why suauth doesn't work. I'm currently making a friend
                            of mine figure it out for me... it's only fair since I
                            showed him how to implement NAT through his machine.
                            :P I'll post my results (if any) here when I'm through
                            with the problem.

                            --- Jon Daley <jondaley@...> wrote:
> [...]
                            > > > file

                            > ;).
                            > this
                            > for a
                            > shoudln't
                            > > > do to
                            > prompt
                            > > > blank

                            > > > which I
                            > by
                            > however.

                            > > > modified
                            > > > thinking
                            > > > installed on
                            > clean
                            > > > new

                            > wrong,
                            > takerSo
                            > > > it's

                            > > > you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a
                            > > > makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo
                            > it's
                            > > > on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh

                            === message truncated ===

                            =====

                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 7, 2003
                              Hmm.. I did the alias command exactly as you
                              specified, but then when I type "su" I'm left at a >
                              prompt waiting for an input. This doesn't seem like
                              the desired behavior.

                              --- Jon Daley <jondaley@...> wrote:
> [...]
                              > > > file

                              > ;).
                              > this
                              > for a
                              > shoudln't
                              > > > do to
                              > prompt
                              > > > blank

                              > > > which I
                              > by
                              > however.

                              > > > modified
                              > > > thinking
                              > > > installed on
                              > clean
                              > > > new

                              > wrong,
                              > takerSo
                              > > > it's

                              > > > you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a
                              > > > makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo
                              > it's
                              > > > on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh

                              === message truncated ===

                              =====

                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 7, 2003
                                If you type "whoami" what do you get? What shell do you normally
                                use? Perhaps you want something besides tcsh?

                                Also, if you are not using tcsh, the alias command will be
                                different.
                                If you skip the alias for now, does the sudo command do want you
                                want?

                                On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:

                                > Hmm.. I did the alias command exactly as you
                                > specified, but then when I type "su" I'm left at a >
                                > prompt waiting for an input. This doesn't seem like
                                > the desired behavior.
                                >

                                > --- Jon Daley <jondaley@...> wrote:
                                > > Oh, I think I mis-spoke. I thought you said you
                                > > wanted to change
                                > > your root password to be empty. My way doesn't
                                > > require any password
                                > > changes, and provides a password-less root login
                                > > from your user and
                                > > machine. I suggested the alias, just to make it
                                > > shorter to type, and then
                                > > you can just type 'su' and it will "magically" sudo
                                > > for you without a
                                > > password.
                                > >
                                > > On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:
                                > >
                                > > > I could give that a try. I'd prefer not changing
                                > > my
                                > > > root password as it stands, however... I'd still
                                > > like
                                > > > to be able to use the suauth file. Maybe I just
                                > > need
                                > > > to update the su program, or something.
                                > > Thoughts/ideas
                                > > > on that?

                                > > in

                                > > you

                                > > you

                                > > you
                                > > long to

                                > > lets
                                > > aim;

                                > > only
                                > > the
                                > > Following
                                > > /etc/suauth

                                > > ;).
                                > > this
                                > > for a
                                > > shoudln't
                                > > prompt

                                > > by
                                > > however.

                                > > clean

                                > > wrong,
                                > > takerSo

                                > > http://launch.yahoo.com/promos/britneyspears/

                                > > http://launch.yahoo.com/promos/britneyspears/

                                > > it's
                                > > well"Heavan

                                > > one
                                > > place
                                > === message truncated ===
                                >

                                > =====
                                > Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

                                * Jonathan M. Daley * The only real failure in life *
                                * jondaley@... * is one not learned from. *
                                * www.snurgle.org/~jondaley * -- Anthony D'Angelo *
                              • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 7, 2003
                                  Ach so. I use bash. If I "sudo -u root /bin/bash
                                  --login" from my account it works perfectly fine. I
                                  suppose I just need to change the syntax of the alias
                                  command... not sure how to do that 'if' in there

                                  For now I can just alias su as sudo -u root /bin/bash
                                  --login as I extremely rarely su any other accounts.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 7, 2003
                                    Greetings all

                                    A couple of issues have recently been bothering me,
                                    one of which is the process of compiling on a machine
                                    for a different architechture and/or kernel version.
                                    I'd like to compile (using my i8200) the lirc modules
                                    for use in my Sharp Zaurus 5600 -- modules for the
                                    5000 and 5500 are available, but do not work on my
                                    5600.

                                    I figured I would compile them myself, BUT I have no
                                    idea how to specify the X-Scale CPU as the target
                                    arch, nor how to (if I even can, or if it matters)
                                    specify the kernel version for which it will be
                                    compiled. If someone could give me a couple of
                                    pointers, or show me to a good howto, or something,
                                    I'd be quite grateful.

                                    Thanks in advance

                                    =====
                                    Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

                                    http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                                  • Joe Winegarden
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 9, 2003
                                      I have no idea about your particular platform, but I've done something
                                      similar by creating a cross compiler for the PS2 Linux kit. What you need
                                      to do is build gcc and binutils with --target=xscale-elf using the headers
                                      and lib files from the xscale linux install (which I believe you can find
                                      on openzaurus.org). Once you have those 2 packages built, then link to
                                      them in your makefile as opposed to the system-default (i.e. something
                                      like CCC=/usr/local/xscale/bin/gcc instead of just CCC=gcc). If you do a
                                      google for "cross compiler xscale", there are several mailing list
                                      postings where people have tried to do just this (and fixes for the
                                      problems they encountered).

                                      HTH
                                      -Joe