[teo@debian.org: Re: [i8k5] Reporting success on i8k5 Suspend/Resume linux-2.6.0-test6!!!]

  • Teófilo Ruiz Suárez
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2003
      Just to see if anybody here can answer one of the two questions below.

      Thanks.

      ----- Forwarded message from Teófilo Ruiz Suárez <teo@...> -----

      From: Teófilo Ruiz Suárez <teo@...>
      Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 22:46:03 +0200
      To: i8k5@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [i8k5] Reporting success on i8k5 Suspend/Resume linux-2.6.0-test6!!!
      autolearn=ham version=2.55

      El 3-oct-2003 a las 18:25:37, Pere Castañer escribió:
      > On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 17:35:21 +0200
      > Teófilo Ruiz Suárez <teo@...> wrote:
      >

      > > This is what I get, always. I don't have any Xfree modules loaded and I
      > > don't have fb...
      > >
      > > What are you settings? How do you suspend it?
      > >
      > > If I do "echo -n 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep", it suspends ok but It just >won't resume...
      > >

      > Have you played with dsdt?If not...take a look at acpi.surceforge.net and
      > download on dell i8k5 dsdt custom, or fix yours.
      >
      > I say this because I fixed my dsdt following the howto on the acpi home,
      > and then I passed it throught initrd with initrd patch for kernels
      > 2.6.0-testX that you can dowload from http://gaugusch.at/kernel.shtml
      > passing you correct dsdt tables is crucial for playing with the
      > Suspend/resume feature.

      Ok, now I got a new DSDT for BIOS A03, and ACPI notes that there is a DSDT
      in the initrd, but since I have the A01 revision, it doesnt work.

      So, now I have to questions :)

      - is there anybody out there with a fixed DSDT for BIOS A01? I could try with the one
      I've using before. But I don't know if it's fixed for all the
      funcionalities.

      - Ok, now I'd like to upgrade my BIOS, but as a good Linux user, I removed
      Win XP the first day :) is there any way to update the BIOS without
      Windows? The A04 installer is an .exe, nothing to extract or whatever :(

      Please help ;)
      --
      http://EuropeSwPatentFree.hispalinux.es/

      NN NN OOOOOOOOOOO
      NNN NN O O to
      NN NN NN O O Software
      NN NN NN O O Patents
      NN NN NN O O In
      NN NN NN O O Europe
      NN NNN OOOOOOOOOOO
    • Joachim Wolfgang Kaltz
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2003
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Teófilo Ruiz Suárez
        <teo@a...> wrote:
        > - Ok, now I'd like to upgrade my BIOS, but as a good Linux user, I
        removed
        > Win XP the first day :) is there any way to update the BIOS without
        > Windows? The A04 installer is an .exe, nothing to extract or
        whatever :(

        Are you aware of this site ?
        http://www.bay-wolf.com/flashbios.htm
        It provides bootable images with which to upgrade your Dell BIOS - I
        haven´t tried them yet, though !
      • Justin Ellison
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2003
          This site has a fixed DSDT for A01, and also includes instructions on
          how to roll your own:

          http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/G.Wilford/Inspiron8500/#Power_Management_-_ACPI

          --
          Justin Ellison <justin@...>
        • Claudio Nieder
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2003

            > - is there anybody out there with a fixed DSDT for BIOS A01? I could
            try with the one
            > I've using before. But I don't know if it's fixed for all the
            > funcionalities.

            http://ltswww.epfl.ch/~dsanta/resources/dell-i8500-linux has Links to
            DSDT for Bios A01 .. A04.

            claudio