RE: [linux-dell-laptops] SATA and Linux (semi-OT)

  • John_Hull@dell.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2003
      Message
      The Fedora project (http://fedora.redhat.com) just released the Severn test-2 ISO's that have support in there. The 2nd Taroon (RHEL3) beta release has it also.
      -----Original Message-----
      From: W.K. Vladmir Ward [mailto:web_raptor.geo@...]
      Sent: Friday, October 03, 2003 2:32 PM
      To: linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [linux-dell-laptops] SATA and Linux (semi-OT)

      Is there a CD image with this on it that you know of I can download and run? By the way, Intel's website reports that SATA support (which includes the ICH5) is in 2.4.22-ac4

      The GX270 has an Intel ICH5 SATA controller, for which support was just created for by Jeff Garzik at Red Hat. I believe that he submitted the kernel patches for 2.4.22 to kernel.org, but if not, the latest patches are in the Fedora test-2 release.
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2003
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Sam Michaels <sam@s...> wrote:
        > Upgraded to kernel 2.4.22 on my i2600. ACPI is already in it...how
        > convenient.
        >
        > Upon booting, it randomly locks. Can't grab an error message and
        > nothing is written to the log files.
        >
        > All the options were enabled...button, fan, proc, cpu thermal, etc
        > including that last option to "fix" some broken bios.
        >
        > Any similar experiences?

        Hi Sam,
        I´m running a self-compiled 2.4.22 under Debian without any problems
        so far. I did have problems though when pcmcia stuff starts, the
        system just stops. I have no idea if that´s the kernel´s fault or
        Debian´s fault, since I don´t need pcmcia at this time I just removed
        the start links.
        Another potential problem, if you´re changing the kernel and using
        lilo, you need to run lilo to reset it, otherwise the system won´t
        start. You probably already know this, but since you weren´t too
        specific about what exactly you are doing I thought I´d mention it
        anyway.
      • Sam Michaels
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2003
          > I´m running a self-compiled 2.4.22 under Debian without any problems
          > so far. I did have problems though when pcmcia stuff starts, the
          > system just stops. I have no idea if that´s the kernel´s fault or
          > Debian´s fault, since I don´t need pcmcia at this time I just removed
          > the start links.

          I specified 'pci=noacpi' as a kernel argument and it booted...not sure
          if it was just a lucky move and next time it'll bomb or what...

          > Another potential problem, if you´re changing the kernel and using
          > lilo, you need to run lilo to reset it, otherwise the system won´t
          > start. You probably already know this, but since you weren´t too
          > specific about what exactly you are doing I thought I´d mention it
          > anyway.

          I'm using Gentoo...they recommend grub so I decided to give it a try.
          Nice program.

          On the bright side the A/C adaptor now registers as connected in the
          Gnome battstat applet, but the fan and temps have been broken since I
          stopped using the ACPI patch from late last year.

          Sam