RE: [linux-dell-laptops] SATA and Linux (semi-OT)

  • W.K. Vladmir Ward
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2003
      Is there a CD image with this on it that you know of I can download and run? By the way, Intel's website reports that SATA support (which includes the ICH5) is in 2.4.22-ac4

      The GX270 has an Intel ICH5 SATA controller, for which support was just created for by Jeff Garzik at Red Hat. I believe that he submitted the kernel patches for 2.4.22 to kernel.org, but if not, the latest patches are in the Fedora test-2 release.
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2003
        Message
        The Fedora project (http://fedora.redhat.com) just released the Severn test-2 ISO's that have support in there. The 2nd Taroon (RHEL3) beta release has it also.

        John_Hull@... wrote:
[...]

      • Joachim Wolfgang Kaltz
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2003
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Sam Michaels <sam@s...> wrote:
          > Upgraded to kernel 2.4.22 on my i2600. ACPI is already in it...how
          > convenient.
          >
          > Upon booting, it randomly locks. Can't grab an error message and
          > nothing is written to the log files.
          >
          > All the options were enabled...button, fan, proc, cpu thermal, etc
          > including that last option to "fix" some broken bios.
          >
          > Any similar experiences?

          Hi Sam,
          I´m running a self-compiled 2.4.22 under Debian without any problems
          so far. I did have problems though when pcmcia stuff starts, the
          system just stops. I have no idea if that´s the kernel´s fault or
          Debian´s fault, since I don´t need pcmcia at this time I just removed
          the start links.
          Another potential problem, if you´re changing the kernel and using
          lilo, you need to run lilo to reset it, otherwise the system won´t
          start. You probably already know this, but since you weren´t too
          specific about what exactly you are doing I thought I´d mention it
          anyway.
        • Sam Michaels
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2003
            > I´m running a self-compiled 2.4.22 under Debian without any problems
            > so far. I did have problems though when pcmcia stuff starts, the
            > system just stops. I have no idea if that´s the kernel´s fault or
            > Debian´s fault, since I don´t need pcmcia at this time I just removed
            > the start links.

            I specified 'pci=noacpi' as a kernel argument and it booted...not sure
            if it was just a lucky move and next time it'll bomb or what...

            > Another potential problem, if you´re changing the kernel and using
            > lilo, you need to run lilo to reset it, otherwise the system won´t
            > start. You probably already know this, but since you weren´t too
            > specific about what exactly you are doing I thought I´d mention it
            > anyway.

            I'm using Gentoo...they recommend grub so I decided to give it a try.
            Nice program.

            On the bright side the A/C adaptor now registers as connected in the
            Gnome battstat applet, but the fan and temps have been broken since I
            stopped using the ACPI patch from late last year.

            Sam