Re: [linux-dell-laptops] How do I play DVD's?

  • julien@sobrier.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
      > I have a Dell Latitude CPi running Mandrake 9.1. I has Xine installed,
      > but how do I get the DVDs to play?
      Wat's the matter?
      Do you have any error message?

      Julien
    • Sean Gibbins
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
        On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 18:40:14 -0000
        "Mr. and Mrs." <thomp830@...> wrote:

        > I have a Dell Latitude CPi running Mandrake 9.1. I has
        > Xine installed, but how do I get the DVDs to play?

        Pop the DVD in the drawer, close it and fire up Xine. If the
        gui isn't showing right-click the screen and select 'GUI
        Visibility'. Click on the 'DVD' option and wait for the menu
        to appear.

        Sean
      • Bryan S. Scott
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
          Really/?/?/? I also have a CPi, could you provide any hints on how you
          got sound to work.... Or did it just work with Mandrake..?

          -Bryan

          On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 13:40, Mr. and Mrs. wrote:
          > I have a Dell Latitude CPi running Mandrake 9.1. I has Xine installed,
          > but how do I get the DVDs to play?

          Bryan S. Scott <bscott@...>
          Strategal, L.L.C.
        • Mr. and Mrs.
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 7, 2003
            Sean,
            Thanks for the info. I tried it only to find that Xine doesn't list
            a DVD player. Any idea how to get to show?

            > > I have a Dell Latitude CPi running Mandrake 9.1. I has
            > > Xine installed, but how do I get the DVDs to play?
            >
            > Pop the DVD in the drawer, close it and fire up Xine. If the
            > gui isn't showing right-click the screen and select 'GUI
            > Visibility'. Click on the 'DVD' option and wait for the menu
            > to appear.
            >
            > Sean
          • Sean Gibbins
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 8, 2003
              On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 23:53:11 -0000
              "Mr. and Mrs." <thomp830@...> wrote:

              > Sean,
              > Thanks for the info. I tried it only to find that Xine
              > doesn't list
              > a DVD player. Any idea how to get to show?
              >
              > > > I have a Dell Latitude CPi running Mandrake 9.1. I has
              > > > Xine installed, but how do I get the DVDs to play?
              > >
              > > Pop the DVD in the drawer, close it and fire up Xine. If
              > > the gui isn't showing right-click the screen and select
              > > 'GUI Visibility'. Click on the 'DVD' option and wait for
              > > the menu to appear.

              When the control panel comes up (the gui that looks like a
              dvd player), you should see a number of large buttons
              labelled 'VCD', 'DVD', 'DVB' AND 'CD'. Where they are might
              vary depending on the skin you use. You can click on th dvd
              button with or without a dvd in the drive: it will return an
              error if the drive is empty or fire up your dvd if it has a
              dvd ready to go.

              If it complains about the dvd being encrypted then you need
              the libdvdcss libraries, but that's another post I'd guess.

              If this button is missing then I am afraid I don't know why
              that is the case.

              Sean

              --
              The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to
              catch up. - Steven Wright
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 8, 2003
                Am Mittwoch, 8. Oktober 2003 21:02 schrieb Sean Gibbins:

                Hi,

                > If it complains about the dvd being encrypted then you need
                > the libdvdcss libraries, but that's another post I'd guess.

                I want to add that I never got xine playing my (only one) DVD.

                I have the libdvdcss installed, but when I insert the DVD (an
                ELP live CD from the seventies), I get only an error instead
                that xine complains about anything.

                I want to add that the drive is a combo drive, and /dev/dvd is
                a symlink to /dev/sr0.

                Gruß / regards

                ce

                ======
                Jabber: HomoSapientz@...

                SuSE 8.0 on a Dell Inspiron 8200:
                http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/
                ======
              • Sean Gibbins
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 8, 2003
                  On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 21:15:02 +0200
                  mchristoph.eckert@... wrote:

                  > I have the libdvdcss installed, but when I insert the DVD
                  > (an ELP live CD from the seventies), I get only an error
                  > instead that xine complains about anything.

                  I think that's the libbadtastefilter.so kicking in...

                  ...only kidding, I'm a Deadhead so who am I to talk, eh?

                  ;o)

                  > I want to add that the drive is a combo drive, and
                  > /dev/dvd is a symlink to /dev/sr0.

                  Same here. Do you launch from a link or from the command
                  line? If from the former then you might want to give the
                  latter a go since you get a fair amount of output to the
                  console.

                  I had all sorts of problems when I used Mandrake, but none
                  since I switched to Libranet which configures pretty much
                  everything for me.

                  Sean

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 8, 2003
                    Am Mittwoch, 8. Oktober 2003 21:32 schrieb Sean Gibbins:

                    Hi,

                    > Same here. Do you launch from a link or from the command
                    > line? If from the former then you might want to give the
                    > latter a go since you get a fair amount of output to the
                    > console.

                    OK, I didn't try hard, but if I someday will have the time, I
                    will spend some of it to check out and get it to work.

                    Gruß / regards

                    ce

                    ======