Kernel 2.4.22 broken?

  • Sam Michaels
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2003
      Upgraded to kernel 2.4.22 on my i2600. ACPI is already in it...how
      convenient.

      Upon booting, it randomly locks. Can't grab an error message and
      nothing is written to the log files.

      All the options were enabled...button, fan, proc, cpu thermal, etc
      including that last option to "fix" some broken bios.

      Any similar experiences?
    • W.K. Vladmir Ward
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2003
        Greetings all

        At work we just purchased some new GX270 machines, which include Serial ATA hard drives. In the course of playing with the machines, I popped in my Slackware 8.1 boot/install CD. Everything seems to start fine, but as the CD's kernel gets to ide1 (line displayed is "ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15") the machine just stops. I can only imagine that this is a problem with the Serial ATA controller... I can't really prove this in any way, but it's just my gut reaction.

        I've tried copying a machine image from an older GX1, which has Windows98 on it... those machines run fine until Windows installs the new ide controller driver, after which the machine fails to boot. Does anyone know if there's a way I can get around this, for either Linux or Win98? Thanks for any help.

        Sing me a song, you're a singer Do me a wrong, you're a bringer of evil The devil is never a maker The less that you give, you're a taker So it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hell Oh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • John_Hull@dell.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 3, 2003
            Is there a CD image with this on it that you know of I can download and run? By the way, Intel's website reports that SATA support (which includes the ICH5) is in 2.4.22-ac4

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 3, 2003
              Message
              The Fedora project (http://fedora.redhat.com) just released the Severn test-2 ISO's that have support in there. The 2nd Taroon (RHEL3) beta release has it also.

              John_Hull@... wrote:
[...]

            • Joachim Wolfgang Kaltz
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 4, 2003
                --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Sam Michaels <sam@s...> wrote:
                > Upgraded to kernel 2.4.22 on my i2600. ACPI is already in it...how
                > convenient.
                >
                > Upon booting, it randomly locks. Can't grab an error message and
                > nothing is written to the log files.
                >
                > All the options were enabled...button, fan, proc, cpu thermal, etc
                > including that last option to "fix" some broken bios.
                >
                > Any similar experiences?

                Hi Sam,
                I´m running a self-compiled 2.4.22 under Debian without any problems
                so far. I did have problems though when pcmcia stuff starts, the
                system just stops. I have no idea if that´s the kernel´s fault or
                Debian´s fault, since I don´t need pcmcia at this time I just removed
                the start links.
                Another potential problem, if you´re changing the kernel and using
                lilo, you need to run lilo to reset it, otherwise the system won´t
                start. You probably already know this, but since you weren´t too
                specific about what exactly you are doing I thought I´d mention it
                anyway.
              • Sam Michaels
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 4, 2003
                  > I´m running a self-compiled 2.4.22 under Debian without any problems
                  > so far. I did have problems though when pcmcia stuff starts, the
                  > system just stops. I have no idea if that´s the kernel´s fault or
                  > Debian´s fault, since I don´t need pcmcia at this time I just removed
                  > the start links.

                  I specified 'pci=noacpi' as a kernel argument and it booted...not sure
                  if it was just a lucky move and next time it'll bomb or what...

                  > Another potential problem, if you´re changing the kernel and using
                  > lilo, you need to run lilo to reset it, otherwise the system won´t
                  > start. You probably already know this, but since you weren´t too
                  > specific about what exactly you are doing I thought I´d mention it
                  > anyway.

                  I'm using Gentoo...they recommend grub so I decided to give it a try.
                  Nice program.

                  On the bright side the A/C adaptor now registers as connected in the
                  Gnome battstat applet, but the fan and temps have been broken since I
                  stopped using the ACPI patch from late last year.

                  Sam