Inspiron 8600

  • rockgtrseattle
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
      So how have the efforts in installing to the Inspiron 8600 been?
      Should I wait until it's been out a while, or get a great big
      harddrive and set up a dual boot now...? :)
    • Sean Gibbins
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6, 2003
        Hi folks,

        I have been offered an i8600 in replacement for my i8200. I don't know a
        great deal about it other than it will have a 64Mb nVidia gfx card. Are
        there any known 'gotchas' with regard to the i8600 and Linux? My i8200 was
        running along just fine until it started to fall apart recently, and I am
        reluctant to take on a new machine that will require stacks of effort to get
        up and running. That said, I'm not about to look this gift horse in the
        mouth... ;o)

        Sean

        Message sent using UebiMiau 2.7.2
      • Sean Gibbins
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 6, 2003
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 6, 2003
            If they are replacing 8200's with 8600's, I'm thinking that my 8200
            might "break" soon. Gotta love the completecare from Dell =)

            Sorry I can't answer your question.

            -Ed

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Sean Gibbins" <sean@f...>
            wrote:
            > Hi folks,
            >
            > I have been offered an i8600 in replacement for my i8200. I don't know a
            > great deal about it other than it will have a 64Mb nVidia gfx card. Are
            > there any known 'gotchas' with regard to the i8600 and Linux? My
            i8200 was
            > running along just fine until it started to fall apart recently, and
            I am
            > reluctant to take on a new machine that will require stacks of
            effort to get
            > up and running. That said, I'm not about to look this gift horse in the
            > mouth... ;o)
            >
            > Sean

            > Message sent using UebiMiau 2.7.2
          • Peter Hayes
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 6, 2003
              On Thursday 06 November 2003 14:49, Edward_Sara wrote:
              > If they are replacing 8200's with 8600's, I'm thinking that my 8200
              > might "break" soon. Gotta love the completecare from Dell =)

              If they're thinking 8200's might "break" soon, perhaps they'd be better off
              looking elsewhere for the replacements???

              Why do they think the 8200's are about to break?

              Peter
            • Sean Gibbins
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 6, 2003
                On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 16:56:39 +0000
                Peter Hayes <pedroh@...> wrote:

                > If they're thinking 8200's might "break" soon, perhaps
                > they'd be better off looking elsewhere for the
                > replacements???
                >
                > Why do they think the 8200's are about to break?

                Well, mine did big time. And after the engineer had got his
                hands on it (and broken it some more) I wouldn't have really
                trusted again anyway. I suspect that the 8600 is the nearest
                model they have to the 8200 that is currently avaialable. I
                just want a laptop that works...

                Sean