RE: [linux-dell-laptops] Wireless auto-config?

  • Daevid Vincent
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2003
      you could install KISMET

      From: Asim Shankar [mailto:mailasim@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 4:53 PM
      To: linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [linux-dell-laptops] Wireless auto-config?

      Hi,

      Things are working quite well on my i8500 with RH9. I installed the
      TrueMobile 1150 wireless card, and wireless works too. However, some
      questions:

      a) How can I get a list of accesspoints available? In WindowsXP for
      example, I can see a list of access points that are "in the air".
      "iwlist eth1 ap" seems to be depricated in favour of "iwlist eth1
      scan". But it seems that the 1150 driver doesn't support this option.
      Is there some other means to get the list?

      b) Everytime I boot into Linux, I have to login as root and do:
      "iwconfig eth1 <blah-blah> key <blah-blah>
      ifconfig eth1 up
      dhclient eth1"
      How do I set things up so on boot it automatically connects to the
      network and does the DHCP stuff? Basically, avoid having to login as
      root and do these startup tasks? (A solution more elegant than putting
      the commands in rc.local is sought)

      Thanks,

      -- Asim