Wireless auto-config?

  • Asim Shankar
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2003
      Hi,

      Things are working quite well on my i8500 with RH9. I installed the
      TrueMobile 1150 wireless card, and wireless works too. However, some
      questions:

      a) How can I get a list of accesspoints available? In WindowsXP for
      example, I can see a list of access points that are "in the air".
      "iwlist eth1 ap" seems to be depricated in favour of "iwlist eth1
      scan". But it seems that the 1150 driver doesn't support this option.
      Is there some other means to get the list?

      b) Everytime I boot into Linux, I have to login as root and do:
      "iwconfig eth1 <blah-blah> key <blah-blah>
      ifconfig eth1 up
      dhclient eth1"
      How do I set things up so on boot it automatically connects to the
      network and does the DHCP stuff? Basically, avoid having to login as
      root and do these startup tasks? (A solution more elegant than putting
      the commands in rc.local is sought)

      Thanks,

      -- Asim
    • Dave Kristol
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2003
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Asim Shankar"
        <mailasim@b...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Things are working quite well on my i8500 with RH9. I installed the
        > TrueMobile 1150 wireless card, and wireless works too. However, some
        > questions:
        >
        > a) How can I get a list of accesspoints available? In WindowsXP for
        > example, I can see a list of access points that are "in the air".
        > "iwlist eth1 ap" seems to be depricated in favour of "iwlist eth1
        > scan". But it seems that the 1150 driver doesn't support this option.
        > Is there some other means to get the list?
        >
        > b) Everytime I boot into Linux, I have to login as root and do:
        > "iwconfig eth1 <blah-blah> key <blah-blah>
        > ifconfig eth1 up
        > dhclient eth1"
        > How do I set things up so on boot it automatically connects to the
        > network and does the DHCP stuff? Basically, avoid having to login as
        > root and do these startup tasks? (A solution more elegant than putting
        > the commands in rc.local is sought)

        Have you tried System Settings > Network? Make eth1 (wireless)
        Active. Double-click on eth1 to adjust settings, particularly under
        Wireless Settings.

        Dave Kristol
      • Daevid Vincent